Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In lands I never saw -- they say
Immortal Alps look down --
Whose bonnets touch the firmament --
Whose sandals touch the town --

Meek at whose everlasting feet
A myriad daisy play --
Which, Sir, are you and which am I
Upon an August day?

Emily Dickinson
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Jobs and job hunting

ElfishElfish Posts: 254 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2013 in Work and Money
What is your job? Or what position are you looking for?
--
I've just had a phone call letting me know I was selected for a job interview to work as an archivist. Fingers crossed!
Post edited by Lynne on
Tagged:

Comments

• LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,383 mod
    Ooh! That is exciting, although it does sound a bit dusty. ;)

I will keep my fingers crossed for you. :)

My job title? Hmm - Chief cook and bottle washer, I think.

!Note - this is a real idiom, it describes someone whose responsibilities include absolutely everything, from the highest level (chief cook) to the lowest (bottle washer).

More job idioms.
  • ElfishElfish Posts: 254 ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah it's not my dream job but what we want is to sign a rolling contract don't we?
    ;)
    Besides, when you become an official civil servant it is easier to get a new position in the same city, so if there is a position in a library...well you guess what!
    BTW I'm a bit like you even if not all my "jobs" are paid work. I try to help in the house, I write articles in French and in English (and a novel that may never be finished :> ), I'm a struggling artist and a wannabe singer! :D
  • amatsuscribbleramatsuscribbler Posts: 2,213 Teacher
    I am a complementary therapist in something called Amatsu. You could describe this as a form of Japanese osteopathy. Even though it is late in the day, I wouldn't want to do anything else.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 26,427 mod
    Oooh I'd find a job as an archivist just up my street. I love rummaging in old papers.

Yesterday I went to visit a monastry-college in Dharamsala where I plan to go as a volunteer next summer.
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 6,069 mod
    I reckon I am the chef cook and the bottle washer here in the house and the wage is quite frustrating.
    I also would like to work in a library, but the library I am thinking of is far away in a city and the milage ist just too far.
    I would find it hard to work in a library, as I would want to read all the books instead of working!
  • goldiwgoldiw Posts: 139 Inactive
    All job that you enjoy it is perfect. the time is flying. You feel satisfaction. If relationship between colleagues in your work place is good is wonderful.
  • HelvioHelvio Posts: 1,860 Inactive
    Who weren't extremely demanding? You or your work colleagues, @april? :D
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,116 mod
    You know me Helvio, could I be demanding? :))
    Of course not @april! Of course not. :-\"
    I mean when we work with our colleagues in harmony and in cooperation then the workplace will be nice and will have good atmosphere.
    You are right Goldiw. :)
    Thank you Helvio. Usually the people make the workplace good or bad, not opposite. But sometimes that isn't depending the people. For example the worker is in pressure to do somethings or have him overload of work, and sometime the reason could will be personal problematic of the worker.
    My job interview is tomorrow. Firstly, please wish me good luck. Secondly, I'm sorry to inform you that I'm going to the hairdressers today to have my red wisps redyed a less tacky shade. Red hair for a job interview? Mmh, probably not a good idea. I might set up for a colour close to my natural dark hair with maybe discreet mahogany reflections.
    Good luck Elfish. Discreet mahogany highlights sound really nice. I'll be thinking of you...
    Good luck Elfish, my god tells me that this job is yours. :)
    I'm probably too late to wish you good luck Elfish but I hope it went well and you will be posting lots of smiley faces very soon! :)
    No it's not done yet. D day is tomorrow!
    Goodbye tacky red hair, hello mahogany reflections! http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3775/11103416665_3d18b06ed7.jpg
    Fingers and toes all crossed!
    Feel like I've been drained of my energy! I was very stressed but did my best to say the most clever, apropriate things and not stammer.
    Lovely colour @Elfish! Hope it's good news!
    I don't think your red streaks were tacky, but the new colour is nice.

Fingers crossed.
    My schoolfriend has a penchant for purple hair. She's a teacher, so I don't know if she only colours her hair when it's a school holiday or if it's a very liberal school.
    YAY! Congratulations ELfish. Fantastic news. You have made my day!! :)
    Oh it's so sweet of you to find happiness in my happiness. :)
This discussion has been closed.