Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

On this breezy October morn, I walk
in the swift shadows of cloud-cursing rooks,
watching the world wake on the horizon.
Leo Yankevich
All houses wherein men have lived and died
Are haunted houses. Through the open doors
The harmless phantoms on their errands glide,
With feet that make no sound upon the floors.

We meet them at the doorway, on the stair,
Along the passages they come and go,
Impalpable impressions on the air,
A sense of something moving to and fro.
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

How you celebrate International mother language day?

Every 21 February we celebrated international mother language day in Bangladesh. Earlier we celebrated this day as “language day”. This language day proclaimed as international mother language day in 1999 by the UNESCO. In this day all show their respect to the language martyred. Everybody go to the “shahid minar” (martyr monument) where they show their respect and gratitude to bengali language martyr by giving flower and wearing black badge. All age group people went their respective local “shahid minar”(martyr monument). We had lot of cultural program like recitation of poem, team wise cultural dance, drama and folk song. President and Prime minister show their respect to the language martyr at start of the day when have time 12:01AM (late night).

UN announced to celebrate this day all over the world. From 2000, theme of this day had changed as this became international mother language day. We showed our respect to all different languages of the world even for all minor ethnic groups. Here language research centre inaugurated. This centre working for keeping existence of all language as few languages is going to lose from the earth. They will also work for proper using languages. This is a big project. Local government with UN tries to accomplish this mission.

However, have you ever observed this day? How you celebrate this 15th international mother language day?
Tagged:

Comments

• LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,524 mod
    We don't really celebrate this in the UK. Probably because we expect everyone to speak English. ;)
  • XanthippeXanthippe Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Lynne I thought you spoke Polish, didn't you? ;)

http://www.english.illinois.edu/-people-/faculty/debaron/wolimages/polish.gif

I haven't heard of this day though. :(
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 27,501 mod
    edited March 2015
    How many languages are spoken in Bangladesh @zahir? I wasn't aware of this special day. In Nepal there are just over 100 languages, but every few years unfortunately, one dies out. For a few languages, there are only a few dozen or even a few hundred people using them. I'm sure these will bite the dust soon.

When people move to the city, invariably they don't want to use their mother tongue and speak Nepali, not to be made to feel so much like country people. They often don't teach their children their mother tongue. I have many friends like this.

There is a very fine institute in Paris that is working on researching languages like these and preserving them from total extinction.
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,061 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    My mother language is Urdu so let me write down a sentence in Urdu:
    مجھے اردو زبان بہت پسند ہے۔ (I like Urdu language very much)
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 27,501 mod
    You will probably understand Nepali after a fashion @bubbli. It's closer to Hindi but an Urdu-soeaking mmedical student from the UK who came to Nepal some time ago said it didn't take very long to understand a fair amount.
    @mheredge I have no idea about Nepali language. I will listen to it and if it is close to Urdu then I will be able to lwarn it quickly. I am very fond of learning French besides English and I think French language is easier if someone knows English well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    My mother language is Arabic.. We all proud of it as Arab.
    @sarataer I have some basic understanding of Arabic. I will learn it from you and if you are not available I will learn it from @Xanthippe :P
    @bubbli You overestimate my capacity. I am really struggling. :)
    But I agree Arabic is beautiful. :)
    @Xanthippe I was underestimating you first, then I thought you might hurt so I overestimated you.:p
    @Xanthippe you will learn Arabic soon because of your determination.
    @bubbli I hope so. :) :) :) Hope never dies. :)
    @bubbli sure i would love doing that with my pleasure.
    @sarataer so how do I join your class? :)
  • chyijungchyijung Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭
    My mother language is chinese 我愛中文 ( I love chinese language)
    When you are ready just contact with me. .feel free and I will help as possible as I can. @bubbli
    @sarataer I am already learning it. But will ask you when I got stuck, Jazak ul Khair.
    Big like.. keep going and I will be waiting for you to get stuck in ;-) @bubbli
    @bubbli do you learn how to pronounce the alphabet and words, because you may face some difficulties with this according to your mother's tongue.
    @sarataer I know because I recite Holy Quran. I know the meanings of many Arabic words.
    You are Muslim then♡
    nice to meet you Mr or Mrs @bubbli
    LOL @sarataer I am not either Mr nor Mrs. I am miss and you missed the Miss category in determining status. :)
    So tell me more about Arabic language. How much it is different from the Quranic language.
    LOL @bubbli that's my fault!
    in Quranic language the standard Arabic is used but we talk the common Arabic which is easy than standard. Every country got it's own dialect of Arabic language.
    @sarataer There are similarities between Arabic language and Quranic language. I think both of them share Alphabets and grammar.
  • aryarchiaryarchi Posts: 864 ✭✭✭
    @bubbli , I think that differences are the same as what we have in English, the differences between slang and standard word order for example.
    @aryarchi There are strick grammar rules in Quranic Arabic but not in language. Undoubtedly this is very comprehensive language with profound meanings.
  • aryarchiaryarchi Posts: 864 ✭✭✭
    @bubbli , Of course, Quran is believed to be spiritually created. That's why we don't intend to compare it with any other kind of language.
  • KhaliedKhalied EgyptPosts: 2,224 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My mother language is Arabic we don't make any celebrit about mother language
  • kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,646 mod
    Me too @gomaa. I don't know the exact date of celebrating our National language, but I do love my mother language, Filipino language.

Mahal ko ang sarili kong wika.
  • KhaliedKhalied EgyptPosts: 2,224 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @kindgnice i have one friend from your country told me the people's in Philippine speak two language English and Filipino
This discussion has been closed.