Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

What do you do in the kitchen?

FrankFrank ModeratorPosts: 4,948 mod
edited February 2015 in Food and Drink
Do you like cooking? Do you enjoy being busy in the kitchen to prepare a lovely meal? How much time do you generally spend in the kitchen, and how much time on special occasions? Let's talk about cooking here. This is supposed to be a topic which is easy and interesting for new members/beginners to participate in. Tell us what you like to cook and how you do it.

Use words like:
skimmer, colander, saltcellar, baking pan, frying pan, ladle, cooking pan, stirring spoon, chef's knife, bread knife, carving knife, meat fork, egg spoon, teaspoon, tablespoon, serving spoon, cutlery, extractor hood, refrigerator, freezer, egg timer, oven, furnace, microwave, measuring cup, stove, mortar, bowls, deep plates, dinner plates, skillet, grater, cheese slicer, al dente, rare, medium, well done, spices, sauce, gravy, flour, milk, sugar, vinegar, pickles, peppers, onions, lettuce, spinach, beetroot, soup, cabbage, potatoes, rice, pasta, meat, chopped, stirred, heated, boiled, fried, stewed, stuffed.

Do you know all these words? Look them up if you don't know them and try to use them in new sentences. Do you know other equipment and ingredients you can use in the kitchen? Tell us all about it.
Post edited by Lynne on
Tagged:

Comments

• DoraDora Teacher's Pet Posts: 2,913 mod
    Isn't it cooking? I mean the discussions you've tagged.
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 8,486 mod
    edited February 2015
    Me too @Frank. If you notice at the end the presenter asked the chef to show him his fingers. :lol:

I am definitely going to try that tomato trick, but I'm not sure if my plates will be suitable.
  • FrankFrank Moderator Posts: 4,948 mod
    edited February 2015
    You need to have small plates (or very long knives and big hands) for the best result @Lynne. I tried it out ones and I succeeded. Actually I was surprised the trick really worked.
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 23,466 mod
    I'm sitting looking into a very nice kitchen right now. The guys are cooking uo a nice BLT for my dinner. The kitchen here quite state of the art with beautiful stainless steel worktops and a large gas stove with a double size oven. They were imported from Myanmar.

I'm not at home but in a nice little hotel nearby that serves delicious food. And I've just recruited one of my cooks to the Forum!
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 9,645 mod
    Has anybody used "Nicer Dicer Plus"?

Tomatoes? The blade must be incredibly sharp. I've used this sort of thing for slicing eggs, but I've never been so ambitious to try with tomatoes @april.
    That thing cuts almost everything so easily according their publicity, but I'm not so convinced that's why I ask :) .
  • samadvaliloosamadvaliloo Posts: 94 ✭✭
    Just singing !!! @april Know what I do that!!!!!
    Singing what, @samadvaliloo ?
    Just Persian Musics! :)
    That's only things that i know well.
    I'm doing that right now!!!!!!!!
    @april
    Hihihi, I think you are in "the wrong room" here with your singing, @samadvaliloo .
    We are here in "the kitchen" and I think you want to be in "the Music Instrument's room", right? :)
    No @april,It's OK and it isn't wrong room!!!!!
    As i haven't cooking skills, I prefer to singing rather than cooking !!!!!!!!!
    You know, Music is special food for your mind.... But not for your stomach !!!
    Hihihihi...
    edited February 2015
    Though, I can cook a fried eggs ! See, I'm Pro!
    I don't promise to do that as well as you !!!!
  • FrankFrank Moderator Posts: 4,948 mod
    I get clean when I sing under the shower, but I've never heard singing in the kitchen helps to prepare a better meal (apart from the eggs) @samadvaliloo. At least singing in the kitchen might provide you a good mood instead of a good meal.
    Yes @Frank .
    Nepali cooks often sing while they cook @samadvaliloo. I think it adds flavour to the cooking!

edited February 2015
    I love flavors @mheredge . It's really important for Pro cookers.
    My mother used to hum Carmen when she was cooking @samadvaliloo. Now I can never listen to this opera without thinking of food!
  • SunSun Posts: 279 ✭✭✭
    It is very interestingly. Cookong and singing.
    I prefer to eat raw food.
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 5,795 mod
    I do neither sing nor dance when I am cooking.
  • NesrineNesrine Posts: 58 ✭✭
    edited February 2015
    When i hear someone singing while cooking,one idea pops to my mind: He is having a good time! I hope that his food is as good as his voice. :p
  • aryarchiaryarchi Posts: 862 ✭✭✭
    Mostly I'm looking for a frying pan and usually It's my mom helping me to find it. all that efforts is just for an egg. :)
    I can hardly cook, so most of the times I'm out of the kitchen. But my mom does everything, I always see her in the kitchen cooking foods.
    I'm wondering if I can put a kettle on or not. Actually I'm not such an active person in the kitchen, are you going to blame me on it?
    Most certainly @aryarchi, you have absolutely NO excuse at all!

You should be able to at least put the kettle on and do some of the basics. Don't just watch your mother, give her a hand and learn. The skills you can learn from her in the kitchen are valuable for the rest of your life. :)
  • aryarchiaryarchi Posts: 862 ✭✭✭
    I think so @mheredge. despite living with parents, I should be able to cook in case I might live on my own.
    But at the moment I'm busy studying. Isn't it a reasonable excuse?
    Today I wanted to watch a DVD in English whilst cooking, but the film couldn`t start I just was able to watch a few trailers from other new films.
    The Swedish population is famous for the skills of speaking English so well. The reason is they watch film in English and some are subtitelt. Even ABBA proclaimed to got their perfect English from listening films in English.
    I will have to get another film in the slot. Next time I am about to start cooking I will listen to English voice.
    If you are female you can do it @Hermine ... hehehe
    I heard about researches that say "Only the females can does two activity simultaneously" !!!!!
    What about you ???!!
    A weak excuse @aryarchi! :) Think of it as a good way to take a short break in your studies.

@Hermine, BBC radio plays are an excellent way to practice listening while you work too (and audio books). Films might be a bit distracting if you have to watch what's going on. I'm finding that while I'm knitting, I need movies that don't involve too much action.

Women are usually very good at multi-tasking @samadvaliloo. I think it's more a necessity than anything: juggling looking after a home, family, and work. There is research that suggests that in fact multi-tasking isn't as good as it might seem. By doing more than one job at the same time can be to the detriment of quality and that by doing one task at a time can mean the task is completed better.
    You are right @Marianne. Yesterdays I was ironing with an ironer used for bedclothes or tableclothes and was watching `In Time`. I had to turn my head away from the mashine to see what is going on in the film, quite dangerous when you consider the mashine was turned up to its highest level.
    Next time when I do this job I will search for an audio book.