Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

What is money?

LynneLynne Your TeacherHomePosts: 9,593 mod
edited February 2015 in Work and Money
Money is the subject most couples in the UK argue about.

Do you argue about money? Is it worth arguing about something that we don't really understand?

We will be carrying out a role play in today's SL session, and asking the question "What is money" in the G+ session.
Post edited by Lynne on
Tagged:

Comments

• LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,593 mod
    edited February 2015

Start with - What is money?

0:16 - What do people do with it?

Fight for it / die for it / put it in china pigs

So, what is money?

0:26 - Money is the best way we have of telling how much money you've got.

What sort of things have been used as money?

0:35 - amber / wheat / eggs / traveller's cheques / feathers / book vouchers / lobsters / beads / gold / leather / nectar points / rice / peas / mugs and money

Which of these caught on?

Money

Where is money stored nowadays?

0:53 - In the imaginations of computers.

Where is she standing?

0:56 - In front of the Bank of England.

How much is UK debt?

1:12 - 1 trillion pounds.

Watch to 1:33 - Who is she talking to?

Will Hutton

What does he do?

He's an economist, and a writer on economics.

What is the difference between economics and economics?

Nothing

How does a computer know what money looks like?

2:12 - He doesn't know.
    2:29 - She thinks someone told them.

Where is the money in coins? Can you cut one open and empty it of money?

2:52 - No.

How does he describe coins?

Watch to 3:04 The coin is a token.

How much does it cost to make a one pence piece?

Watch to 3:25 - A tiny amount of money.

What is her overall view of money?

It's a rip off.

• HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 6,694 mod
    Her questions are a bit odd I thought first, but then I have to admitt they are aloud to be questioned.
    I think the man was prepared of such questions, wasn´t he?
    @Hermine, most of her victims interviewees are unprepared.
  • nelnel Posts: 1,125 Inactive
    Today money is the most important thing in our life.people need to food, house, education and other things. Money is what that people can supply their requirements by it. There is an another thing I think money isn't enough for being happy and luck. @Lynne There are many people who are wealthy but aren't happy.
  • zakaria_dandouni1zakaria_dandouni1 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭✭
    :s
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,171 mod
    I don't think money is the most important thing in our lives @nel. It's a necessary evil, as we need money to buy food, pay the rent and so on. But I think it is a shame when it takes over and becomes the the dominating factor in a person's life.
  • nelnel Posts: 1,125 Inactive
    I told it's not an important thing for being happy too. People need money for live not they live for earning money @mheredge .
  • [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 0
    edited March 2015
    I think money it's absolutely necessary, you need it for everything, may be it's not happiness but it help to make you happy. If money doesn't exist in this world another would be the story.

---------------

I think money is absolutely necessary; you need it for everything. Maybe it doesn't create happiness, but it helps to make you happy. If money didn't exist in this world it would be a different story.
    Post edited by Lynne on
    Barter and exchange are good ways of getting what you need too @Pamelagr77. Money is a means to an end, but not always absolutely necessary.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,493
    Like you guys, I think that money is a useful tool. But @Pamelagr77, don't you think that lots of people just like to store it or show the world how much they have got?
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,074 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I have mixed feelings about the "money". Some quotes also represent my feelings like;
    The lack of money is the root of all evil.Mark Twain
    Money has never made man happy, nor will it, there is nothing in its nature to produce happiness. The more of it one has the more one wants.Benjamin Franklin
    A wise man should have money in his head, but not in his heart.Jonathan Swift
    In this materialistic life we cannot deny the importance of money but we should not forget ourselves or our values to earn it. After all the most compromising thing in this world is the "Money".:)
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 6,694 mod
    @bubbli, I like the fifth one. Ta for sharing them.
    @hermine pleasure!:)
    "I always wonder what the world would be like if all of us shared everything."

I think the world would be such a nicer place @Pamelagr77.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,493
    I don't want to share everything. I like to have personal and private things.
    I think every body likes to have personal and private things.
    Do you think people are losing the ability to distinguish @bubbli. A lot of people seem to want to share everything. Life blogging for example.
    @Lynne As we have already discussed on this forum, we need active listners around especially in our family to do catharsis and share our point of views. Then, we need to categorize our relationship to others. We consider media our best friend to share everything without distinguishing what and how much we need to share. Moreover, we need to filter out our conversation especially on social media where words usually camouflage our real feelings and create lots of misunderstanding and problems regarding our personal life.
    Family setup and family norms also play a vital role in it.
  • MonikMonik Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭
    I think money it's just a way to get things. Most of people has changed priorities in life, they are living to get more and more money and show the others what they can do or what they can buy or spend in luxurious items. I think we are in somehow lost in this world.
  • [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    I never asked myself about that. I really don't care about it. It's a tool and it should be considered as that and only.
    Monik life is becoming materialistic now that is why we are away from the quality of life. Many people now compromise on their values, principles, and qualities just because of money. You are right that we are lost in this world and we are losing our core values.
  • elhattabfethielhattabfethi Posts: 32 ✭✭
    Hello,
    Without money, you can't do anithing. it's the reality.
    everyone wants to have a car, a big House ...
    You can ask the poor ????
    With money you can buy many things but not everything.:)
  • SairaSaira Posts: 846 ✭✭✭
    My point is about money it's really very important thing without it you can't take good education, house and especially treatment if you are sick.This is true we can't buy happiness and luck with money but you have lot of comfort with money.You can give to charity and help other people's .Everyone like beautiful house,car,luxuriant things and good food and you always need money.I saw lots of families life disturbs because of lack of money.You can't survive in this world without money otherwise children's and elders going to depressions.I think you can only take air free for breathing in this world but in some cases you should buy oxygen as well,so nothing free anything in this world for surviving you should have money.
    The way mankind seems to be heading, since resources are finite, it's going to be difficult for everyone to get everything they want.
    edited May 2015

With money you can buy a house but not a home.
    With money you can buy a clock but not time.
    With money you can buy a bed but not sleep.
    With money you can buy a book, but not knowledge.
    With money you can see a doctor, but not good health.
    With money you can buy a position but not respect.
    With money you can buy blood but not life.
  • gllgll Posts: 91 ✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Money is kind of key that opens most of the door like private school, hospital, buy property, etc. Without money you can not leave well. However if you have money, also you may not leave well beacuse of stingy people, enemies, mafia etc. So, I think people should have enough money to live but not more or less :smile:

-----------------------

Money is the kind of key that opens most of the doors, like private school, hospital, buying property, etc. Without money you cannot live well. However, if you have money, you still may not live well because of stingy people, enemies, the Mafia etc. So, I think people should have enough money to live on, no more, or less.
    Post edited by Lynne on
  • gllgll Posts: 91 ✭✭
    @Lynne thank you so much for checking my paragraph :)