Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The April rain, the April rain,
Comes slanting down in fitful showers,
Then from the furrow shoots the grain,
And banks are fledged with nestling flowers;
And in grey shawl and woodland bowers
The cuckoo through the April rain
Calls once again."

Mathilde Blind, April Rain
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Our Pets

LynneLynne Your TeacherHomePosts: 8,957 mod
Those of you who regularly attend my sessions know that I have a dog called Laika, some of you have even heard her greeting the postman. I used to have another dog called Sam, and two cats, one called Spooky, and the other Moose. Most of my life I have had one pet or another. My first dog was called Melody, and my first cat Pepper (who was sadly with me a very short time). Before that I had various budgerigars and hamsters.

Do you have, or have you had any pets?

Comments

• LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 8,957 mod
    edited April 2014
    Try counting how many pets you have. If you can't count them, or lose count, you probably have too many pets.

Can you remember all your pets' names? If you can't remember them, you probably have too many pets.

Can you remember which ones you have taken care of today? If you can't remember which ones you have taken care of, you probably have too many pets.

How long does it take you to take care of your pets? If it takes over 2-3 hours, then you probably have too many pets.

Do you know how much money you are spending on your pets monthly? If you are spending more on your pets than on the rest of your family, you probably have too many pets.
  • SnoopyLjzSnoopyLjz Posts: 7
    edited April 2014
    I have one but he's gone :( T^T

------------------

I had one, but he's gone.
    Post edited by Lynne on
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 24,927 mod
    edited April 2014
    I don't have any now. I never had more than two at one time.
    Post edited by Lynne on
    edited April 2014
    Aww. Sorry to hear that @snoopy‌ and @mheredge‌. It's really hard to lose a pet.

If I could, I would have lots of cats and dogs, and a couple of donkeys and goats.
    :( :( :( Yes.

And thank you for your correction. ^_^ @Lynne Oops, how do I @ you?
    You're welcome. That @ function only turns into a link when you have a certain number of points.
    Oh thank you :)
    Me too, @Lynne. I'd love to live somewhere where I could keep a few goats and at least two cats (so they keep eachother company).
    Animals cost enough to feed, but it's if they get sick that it can really cost an arm and a leg, @SalustraQuiroz‌. My sister has her two cats insured to cover vet bills.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Many years ago I had 7 pets . a cat , her 5 newborn kittens and a motherless kitten.
    I suppose I had five pets for about three months, until my cat's four kittens found new homes.
  • swatiswati Posts: 46 ✭✭
    Really ! too many predictions you have given teacher @Lynne to get to know the numbers of pets that one have.Well! i have only one pet ,my cat.And i have to be very careful for her,as she is very naughty. :smiley:
    Any chance that there might be the patter of little paws @swati? I let my cat have three litters of kittens before I took her to the vet.
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 5,943 mod
    We`ve got many rabbits and the instant they got their fur they are named after their appearance or character.
    E. g. snowy, goldy, Adolf, blacky, Susi, popcorn, and so forth. I am always surprised how how full of ideas my little girl is, when she noticed a special trait in the animals.
    How many rabbits have you got now @Hermine? I know you don't breed them for the pot (like my French relatives do), but how do you manage? Do you give the babies away or sell them to a pet shop?
    I am a cat lover. But, unfortunately, for the time being, I am not in a position to keep even one kitten. So, I decided to feed the homeless cats that are living in streets and parks near our house. I feel I have to many cats.I love all of them.
    I'm in the same boat @minoosh. There are a couple of families of cats and two or three cats living on the college campus where I'm staying. They're in very good condition for strays as the college kitchen feeds them (and a similar number of dogs). But if I don't need to feed them, I'm happy to tickle and stroke them. They love the attention and I've made friends with a very nice black cat and tabby who now come up for attention.

Two young pups get very jealous when I'm lavishing attention on the cats, so I have to give them a bit of love too.
    edited July 2014
    The cats and dogs need attention and stroke as well as food. I feel pity ,most, for the two cats that each has one hand and one of them is even without a tail. Do you know why @mheredg?
    In Winter some cats go in the car engines in order to be warm. All of a sudden when the car driver starts the car..... :( .They were lucky to be alive. So, In Winter, Animal rights watch always, warn people to strike the car hood before starting the car.

--------------------

The cats and dogs need attention and strokes as well as food. I feel pity, especially for the two cats that each have only one paw, and one of them is even without a tail. Do you know why @mheredge‌?

In winter some cats climb onto car engines in order to stay warm. All of a sudden when the car driver starts the car..... :( .They are lucky to be alive. So, In winter, Animal Rights Watch always warns people to strike the car hood before starting the car.
    Post edited by Lynne on
    In Sri Lanka and Thailand I've seen many cats with half their tail cut off. I was told it's done to stop them jumping up. I think this is very cruel.

There is a special breed, the Manx cat that is born without a tail. These have very powerful back legs to compensate for their lack of a tail.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manx_(cat)
    I had never heard about the Manx cat. @mheredge
    They're quite big cats @minoosh‌. I suppose because they've adapted to life without a tail. I've only ever made the acquaintance of one, belonging to a friend living in Douglas, the capital city of the Isle of Man.
    Thank you so much@Lynne for correcting my comment.This was my first correction bonus.
    @mheredge Have you ever seen a Persian cat ? It is a long_haired breed of cat. It has round and flat face. It is very calm and quiet. How do you like it?
    edited July 2014
    I prefer the shorter haired Siamese or Burmese cats @minoosh. I had a seal-point Siamese for 17 years. She was quite a character. She had pretensions of being some sort of cat-god I think.
  • zapppsrzapppsr Posts: 230 ✭✭✭
    Apartment = 1 is enough
    House = 2 is enough

Other than that, be careful to not turn into the Cat Lady...
    Haha! For me I think one cat is enough. More than that, they might gang up on me @zapppsr‌.
    Just before I was about to feed the rabbits when I saw some of them escaped, in fact, 8 pieces.
    Four of them could I easely catch but four still running around. 3 children and a mother I hope I can catch them soon, if not I will have to wake up my daughters. They are incredidbley good at catching rabbits.
    I`ve a cat she is always around the house and never gets in. She likes to get her daily meal, but does not go nearer to the food if I am beside, even her hunger is big.
    I even believe she never got ever a loving stroke. I would like to stroke her, but she is always some steps away. Her miau is so sweet but she also likes to use the opposite.
    Lynne would say, you cannot take out the street of her.
    The cats round me are pretty much the same @Hermine. Especially the mother with her two little kittens. Today they came into class and caused a bit of commotion, scrabbling around the waste paper bin. There was nothing for them to eat there. I gave the milk I'd reserved for my coffee to one cat that was meowing so pitifully.
  • zapppsrzapppsr Posts: 230 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2014
    Yes, they can manipulate you all the time, with their cute faces, isn't' it @mheredge.

Yes, it's because they can manipulate you all the time, with their cute faces, isn't' it @mheredge.

Yes, they can manipulate you all the time, with their cute faces, can't they @mheredge.
    Post edited by Lynne on