Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Physicists are mad

XanthippeXanthippe Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
I am wondering if these guys are able to be on time at all. Anyway, I wouldn't: it would take me too long to calculate all this stuff:

"Say you want to cross the street, but a car is coming down the street, although it is some distance away. You know how fast you can walk or run across the street. Having learned about 1-D general motion, you could decide whether it is safe to start across the street by applying that model: estimate the speed of the car, integrate to find its position vs. time, solve for the time it will take to reach your position; then use the model again to calculate how long it will take you to get safely across the street; then proceeding if this time is shorter than the length of time before the car reaches your position."
Tagged:

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,081 mod
    By the time my mind has gone through this thought process, I suspect I'll have been knocked down. Crossing the road here is more a matter of basic animal instinct @Xanthippe.
  • XanthippeXanthippe Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    But it IS useful after all. Before your death you would be aware of the exact magnitude of the forces that caused it. :) You could compute the net force and quietly expire. :)
  • fewrnafewrna Posts: 139 ✭✭
    edited February 2015
    If you have the wide of the road and your velocity, there are some equations to calculate all that stuff. It's not that difficult to do, I will be able.
    @fewrna I'll call on you if I have problems with my homework. :)
    I'm not so sure about 'quietly expire' @Xanthippe. I expect if a vehicle hit me, I would shout very loudly!
    @mheredge You are too pragmatic, I think. Just appreciate Newton's third law: you could hit the car in return. :)
    If I did, I would just injure myself even further wouldn't I @Xanthippe? Anyway I'm not sure if tit-for-tat works. And it wasn't the car's fault, but a stupid human behind the steering wheel.
  • DoraDora Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭✭
    Humanity is losing its geniuses.
    Aristotle died, Newton passed away, Einstein died,

and I'm not feeling well today...
    @Dora Indeed, after Sir Isaac's death I couldn't recover to the extent that I have started to desperately learn mechanics.

But if you look at his face you will understand my feelings:

http://cdn.themetapicture.com/media/funny-Newton-painting-old.jpg
  • DoraDora Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭✭
    Which branch of mechanics are you studying @Xanthippe?
    Kinematics or Dynamics?
    Both, @Dora. I am taking the MIT course:

https://www.edx.org/course/advanced-introductory-classical-mitx-8-mechcx#.VK54wcmQnEU

All this out of love for Sir Isaac. :)

Now my course is ruined. I haven't had the Internet for two days and I have no chance to catch up. :( Engineers had to come twice. :(
    Oh @Xanthippe! I know this feeling too well. But where are you? This sort of problem is the norm in Kathmandu, but you're in a First World city aren't you?
    Yes, I am in a First World City (Kraków) and my first-world Internet provider has old cables that require replacement. :) To make things worse, this is a French firm, Orange. Well, they did it quickly (the only problem is that there was nobody in a flat on the first floor. As they had no access to an old socket that is out of use they had to come the next day. Wrrrrr....
    It could have been worse though.
    In twelve minutes the power in this Third World Country will go off for six hours. One socket provides power from a backup battery. This means the modem and laptop can still work, as well as a few lights.

Here thieves are always stealing the cable @Xanthippe and selling it for its copper. So the internet is often down for a few days till they replace it.

In India whenever it rained, the internet used to give up for a few hours.
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,061 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @mheredge we also face the same problems of internet in Pakistan:) Even internet stops working in cloudy weather or get slow!:)
    Well, it is not that bad here. I have found another course on the same subject so I will switch to it in a week. Nothing lost.
    I will do what I can in the current one. It is annoying though. It is extremely easy to be left behind. :(
    I was surprised when I saw India is ranked as fifth from the bottom for internet speed @bubbli, but there's a vast difference between how good it is usually in the cities, to places in the countryside where it is barely working. In Ladakh it is a real nightmare to get a connection any time!
    @mheredge I think its not bad weather but quality of technology we are using. Weather may affect the speed by creating disturbance but there are other factors too!
    I think weather is used more as an excuse than a real reason @bubbli!
    yea most of the times we shift blame on weather for poor internet speed, for our inefficiency at workplace, for other things that we cant do!:)
  • kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,669 mod
    So much applied physics happening in here, huh? :lol: