Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

How are you feeling today?

Comments

• GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 6,097 mod
    mheredge said:

Frustration puts it mildly. When I arrived at the health assurance social security office this afternoon with a question about my application to get a social security number, a burly guard barred me from entering, asking if I had an appointment. No, but I was more than happy to make one. Oh no, you have to do this on the internet or phone 3646.' (He said this in French of course). I tried the website only to find you need a social security number in order to access anything. Dur, that is what I am trying to get set up.

So then I call the number and after goodness knows how many options I got through to a human being. Like banks, these days everything needs to be solved over the website or a meeting set up. Gone are the days of helpful customer service.

That sounds very frustrating to me, to be honest. I think there are lots of places that have poor customer service these days when it should be better, and I am often disappointed when I experience it myself.
  • MahaaaMahaaa Posts: 20 ✭✭
    @Paulette i hope to both of us to reach to our goals, and thanks for your words really encourage me a lot
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 29,114 mod
    @lisa it sounds like a similar situation. I actually think here the incompetence is on purpose in order to make it as hard as possible and delay the process. It is possible that I just need to get a document translated, which I could have been told was necessary a couple of months ago! All will be revealed this afternoon when I go back to see someone.
  • lisalisa Posts: 740 ✭✭✭
    From the aspects of others, they think everything is normal, because we should obey the regualtions, but in fact it is easier for them to deal with the problem, unfortunately they do not want to do us a favour. @mheredge Maybe they think that is unimportant, but it is vital for us.
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 8,519 mod
    @Mahaaa I am sure you will reach many goals in your life, the future is of you. I enjoy the goals of a lot of my previously students and I am always proud if I read or hear that one of them is praised for something.
    Now I am stimulating my grandchildren to do things and so I also stay young and active. I am following courses to learn new things and so I feel young and positive.
  • MahaaaMahaaa Posts: 20 ✭✭
    @Paulette that something inspiring me a lot when i see someone doesn't stop to learn and explore new things no matter how old is he,learning new things never has end we will always find new things to do we don't know anything about it
    i read before about one of celebrities said that she learn every year something faraway of his career and new for her in her spare time and that allow to her to think always differently not like all they work around her
    Today I am feeling nervous, because I am meeting some of my partner's family for the first time. I just hope that they like me, as I haven't been in this kind of situation for a long time, as my previous partner didn't speak to his family.
    Good luck @GemmaRowlands
  • VokVok Posts: 164 ✭✭
    I feel that I finally got back into the swing of things after the holidays. Also today's my nephew's birthday and I'm looking forward to a birthday party at the weekend. However, it's still two working days left and I must be on the ball.
    I can't believe how fast the week is flying. It's been a busy week and there doesn't look like there will be much let up next week either.
    I do not want to do anything in every Thursday, and I do not know the reason.
    I feel the same @lisa , because usually by Thursday there's no much strength left and subconsciously we are aware that the weekend is just around the corner.
    edited January 11
    @Vok a ball for the birthday of your cousin, has he to celebrate a special birthday? Here we give a party if you get a special number appear of your birthtday like 30 years ( because then the youth is over or 50 because then you have seen Abraham (for a man) and Sarah (for a woman).
    For me all these parties are over yet, now I am dreaming to become 100!!!!! ;)
    Not really @Paulette . To "be on the ball" means to be alert and deal with things quickly and intelligently. So it rather has to do with me than with my nephew (my brother's son; "cousin" is the child of your uncle or aunt).
    What do you mean by "seen Abraham and Sarah"? I'm sure you'll reach that point and will keep on amusing us with historic facts year to come after that :)
    @Vok this saying is specific for Belgium and the Netherlands, it has its origine in the Bible.

Abraham and Sarah are figures of the Bible and if you have seen them then that you have become 50 because then you are turned in a smart man or woman. Abraham and Sarah his wife were very clever people who were being well known when they became fifty.
    A ball can refer to a party too @Vok. And you can have a ball when you enjoy yourself a lot. I think this is more what @Paulette meant.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/have-a-ball
    Sure it can @mheredge , but I think only @Paulette can say what she really meant.
    @Vok indeed I thought that you must be on the ball (or the party) of your nephew. But I found also this meaning: be on the ball = to be quick to understand and react to things. And yes if you was at work you have to be on the ball.
    Oh, I see. Then @mheredge you're absolutely right. I mistakenly associated your "ball" @Paulette with mine from the last sentence about work. Sorry!
    'Ball' has lots of meanings. The ball's in your court is one term you should know. If you want to be colloquial, you mustn't balls things up. There even some I didn't know listed here @Vok!

https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/ball
  • Col_51Col_51 Posts: 23 ✭✭
    edited January 12
    Today after my work, when I went back home, I turned on my computer and I started to see some Ted conference while I was eating. And, I told me something. To improve my English rapidly, I have to speak English with other people.
    So I would have some informations about your Skype group.

What is the English level of speakers?
    How many speaker are in the group in the same time ?
    Is it funny ?
    What are the topics of discussions ?
    How long is a session ?

Thinks :smile:

---------------------

Today after work, when I went back home, I turned on my computer and I started to watch some TED conferences while I was eating. I told myself something. To improve my English rapidly, I have to speak English with other people.
    So I would like some information about your Skype group.

What is the English level of speakers? Intermediate +.
    How many speakers are in the group at the same time? It varies.
    Is it funny? It depends on the topic.
    What are the topics of discussions? They vary - see here: http://learn-english-forum.org/categories/social-groups
    How long is a session ? At least 1 hour.

Post edited by Lynne on
  • XanthippeXanthippe Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am feeling devastated. I could see nothing but green vertical lines on the screen of my PC. I disappeared from SL during our French course.
    I've been up to my eyeballs (balls again haha) in work all morning and I'm at the end of my tether already. Now I have a few minutes to spare, so I'm chuffed to be back on the forum. The notion that today's Friday gives me second wind, though.
    @Col_51 have a look at Discord (https://discordapp.com/) as this is what most of the speaking sessions are moving to use. Skype can be unpredictable and doesn't always work as well as Discord these days. You might need to be an active member for a bit longer before Lynne can add you to the groups, but send her a message.

I'm feeling envigorated by the sun and I think I had better go out now to take advantage of it while it lasts. As I was checking the weather in London for next Wednesday, I see that it will be cloudy in Nice too, but 16 instead of 7 degrees! I think I am feeling a bit smug about living in Nice!
    mheredge said:

A ball can refer to a party too @Vok. And you can have a ball when you enjoy yourself a lot. I think this is more what @Paulette meant.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/have-a-ball

I always forget just how strange the English language can be, until I have to explain it to someone who's new to it! It is very odd indeed that the same word means so many different things.
    It's just as bad in French @GemmaRowlands. Occasionally though, there are idioms or sayings that translate word for word, but usually not. All's well that end's well does translate word for word (tout est bien qui finit bien), as I discovered yesterday when my bank manager laughingly said this to me after a very complicated few months.
    It's been almost two weeks since the last time I did some exercise and I started feeling a little bit sluggish. I'm still not sure that I should already start trainning again after shaking off a cold I had last week. Or should I wait for a week longer to revover more. The weather isn't very conducive today to go outside, so I may be go for a quick stroll later today.
    After a lot of grey days is the sun on the sky and that gives a feeling of relief. The sky is blue and the sun rays are beautiful. And at the weather prohecy the wheather man said that we already have more than thirty minutes more daylight. So my intention is to take a long walk between the meadows that are illuminated by the sun's rays and to look if the first buds are already on the trees.
    The sun of current days is the same with the light in the refrigerator. :p
    I'm feeling relaxed today as it's Sunday and I have decided it is a day of rest. I walked down to the Old Town for a coffee with some friends who meet in a particular cafe every Sunday morning. However it could not be more different to yesterday when it was sunny. I had to dodge the raindrops as I made my way home.