Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

How are you feeling today?

FrankFrank ModeratorPosts: 5,035 mod
edited February 2015 in Your Writing
If people ask you: 'How are you?', this question is mostly used as an form of informal greeting. You don't have to contemplate your answer profoundly. Even if you would feel a bit down, sad or frustrated, you could just say: 'Fine thank you, and how are you?' The question itself is not meant as a means to show real interest in your emotional behaviour, nor is the answer an indication of how you really feel. However, if your doctor would ask how you feel, you might give a different answer. If you'd only say: 'fine thanks, doctor' you could as easily leave.

This time, I'm interested in your real emotions. Therefore you have to be aware of what you are feeling inside. That seems to be so easy, but it isn't. We easily recognise six basic emotions: anger, fear, joy, grief, surprise and surprise. We can distinguish these feelings when we feel them inside or recognise them on other people's faces.

But there are much more descriptions of emotions than the afore mentioned six basic emotions. There are many words in English to describe what you feel. These words often combine a basic emotion and some aspects of the context.

For example you could say: ‘I woke up this morning and I felt angry, but I don’t know why', but nobody ever says: ‘I woke up this morning and I felt indignant, but I don’t know why!' The word indignant not only tells you’re angry, but uncovers something about an apparent reason for your angriness. There has been happening something before, that made you indignant. It says something about the context. The emotion is a mixture of angriness and maltreatment.

What to do on this thread...
Like I said, there are many English words to describe emotions. Now, write down how you feel today, using words that indicate emotions. But don’t use the words that describe a basic emotion, like happy, angry, fearful, sad, surprised and disgusted. Try instead to use words that describe not only your emotion, but the complete state you are in, within a specific context. BTW – just write down how you feel; you don’t have to explain why, per se.

Tip: bookmark this page, so you can return every day to write down how you are feeling then.

Examples of words you could use:
Enraged
Troubled
Joyful
Modest
Distant
Ashamed
Frustrated
Animated
Threatening
Touched
Burned out
Cheerful
Satisfied
Hasty
Grumpy
Apprehensive
Sympathetic
Tormented
Exhausted
Annoyed
Defeated
Painful
Disapproving
Amused
Tense
Distrust
Spontaneous
Interested
Jealous
Alarmed
Rejected
Taken by Surprise
Refusal
Mad
Pissed
Euphoric
Exuberant
Indignant
Cheerful
Innocent
Irritable
Hurt
Happy
Sad
Cheerless
Hot-tempered
Laconic
Nervous
Jolly
Remorseful
Concerned
Agitated
Flabbergasted
Content
Hopeful
Impatient
Hesitant
Fearful
Down
Disturbed
Dejected
Good-tempered
Frightened
Pessimistic
Optimistic
Exited
Hot
Apathetic
Arrogant
Indifferent
Worried
Skittish
Energetic
Miserable
Anxious
Self-assured
Short-tempered
Depressed
Inconsolable
Shy
Moody
Washed-out
Awful
Happily Surprised
Unsure
Tiring
Insecure
Nervous
Confused
Attentive
Understanding
Angry
Grateful
Perplex
Cruel
Enthusiast
Surprised
Shy
Relieved
Gloomy
Interested
Agitated
Exited
Absentminded
In love
Peaceful
Disappointed
Proud
Self-assured
Obstinate
Feelings hurt
Tense
Disapprove
Incomprehensive
Up tight
Intimidating
Emotional
Curious
Upset
Infuriated
Convinced
Jovial
Stubborn

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 23,519 mod
    Good topic @lichaamstaal. The last few days I've been suffering from a grotty cold, so when people keep asking how are you, I haven't been honest! I've mumbled 'fine' but in a tone of voice that hints that maybe I'm not fine.

In fact I was feeling very poorly, morose, apathetic and under the weather. I'm feeling a lot better today though and I'm sure tomorrow everything will be right as rain again.
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 9,658 mod
    ça va :)
  • BubblyBubbly Posts: 29,699 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    what is Kitely? @Lynne
  • filauziofilauzio Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When this morning that friend of mine asked me " How are you ? " I answered " Not bad, thanks ". I felt unsure however, and I could explain why.
    But when I imagined that the beautiful girl who was passing by, asked me as well, I suddenly felt animated, interested, exuberant, cheerful and I stop here.
    I couldn't explain why, there must have been some sort of inexplicable reason inside me.
    :) @filauzio.

If someone asks me how I'm feeling today, with all honesty I'll be able to look them straight in the eye when I say 'fine.'

If I know them well enough to go into further detail, I might say 'much better now,' as all week I've been feeling a bit sorry for myself with a cold.
  • chandan123chandan123 Posts: 50 ✭✭
    I think we dont really answer that question with complete honesty. We hide behind " i am fine".
    Today I felt very cheerful, optimistic , content all day, but now i am bit tired and frustrated.
  • chandan123chandan123 Posts: 50 ✭✭
    @filauzio These spontaneous moments can make your day cheerful again. Someday i feel so depressed but something like that happens and i feel relieved again.
  • filauziofilauzio Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're right, @chandan123, these kinds of moments can make your day cheerful.
    When I get up late, I feel hasty to get to work on time, I have to hurry out and I feel really grumpy, distant, feeling no concern for anything but the clock.
    However my bad mood last exactly the time to prevent myself from being late.
    Sometimes the clock is a threat to my cheerful mood.
    What did you meant, @mheredge, by saying " feeling under the weather " ?
    The cold is really annoying.
    You're so right @chandan123. Sometimes even if I'm not quite feeling myself, if I see someone and maybe they smile, it can make all the difference.

Under the weather, not feeling myself, peeky, not feeling on top form, 'could be better'... all mean the same @filauzio.
  • FrankFrank Moderator Posts: 5,035 mod
    edited February 2015
    Today I feel cheated. My youngest son came tattletaling that my eldest son was playing games on the I-pad, whilst he had to do his homework. My oldest son denied this and called his brother a liar. I know one of them was not telling the truth, but I couldn't figure out whom of both.
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 8,499 mod
    Oh dear @lichaamstaal. A bit of sibling rivalry?

Today I felt annoyed. I shouldn't let some people take up space in my head.
  • FrankFrank Moderator Posts: 5,035 mod
    edited February 2015
    I can deal with the sibling rivalry @lynne, but it's difficult to me knowing that one of both is lying and the other one is telling the truth. I know I should show some angriness, but I don't know to whom. The honest one feels betrayed and I should comfort him, but who?! That's really frustrating!
    Do you really mean cheated @lichaamstaal? Would confused be a better term to express how you felt? (Which of the boys were telling the truth?)

I'm somewhat frustrated by all things related to computers right now. Maybe I'm jinxing everything I touch.
    edited February 2015
    I think cheated is fine here. Bordering on anger and betrayal. @lichaamstaal - if it's bothering you that much, maybe you could ask each of them to write a note, telling you what happened, and put it in an envelope. Writing a lie is harder than blurting one out, but then if they stuck to their stories, it might make you feel worse. The fact is, kids lie, usually because it seemed like a good idea at the time, they don't mean to make you feel bad.

One day, maybe years from now, they will sit down with you and tell you the truth ... "You know that day when ... well ..." :smile:

@mheredge - Don't let computers get you down.

Today, I am feeling lazy, but I will have to get a move on as Laika needs her walk.
    One problem is fixed @Lynne. Though the laptop's microphone isn't working, the headset's one is. So Skype is a goer on this poor old Toshiba. :)
    Good luck @trupti. Let us know how you get on.
  • truptitrupti Posts: 27 ✭✭
    thank you so much.. @mheredge ... i'll let you know guys what happens..
  • pentelpentel Posts: 18 ✭✭
    I woke up this morning, feeling like everyday my life keep on repeating over and over again.
    I do the same things like the previous one of yesterday.
    I want to do something, something that i really like, but I don't have enough to do that.
    Sometimes i get so curious how it feels like to be around with new people, I feel excited whenever i think of that :D
    talking with other people in different country makes me happy.

PS. please correct my english ^_^
    @pentel from which country you have been ?
    edited February 2015
    hey.. friends .... a very good morning to all.. today is valentine's day... and i wish you all a very happy valentine day... have a great time with your loved ones..

--------------------

Hey friends. A very good morning to all.

Today is Valentine's day, and I wish you all a very happy Valentine's day. Have a great time with your loved ones.
    Post edited by Lynne on
    edited February 2015
    http://learn-english-forum.org/discussion/598/feb-14th-valentines-day/

I hope you had a lovely day too @trupti.

I'm feeling a bit tired after our day trip to France, but it's a nice tired.
    hey,,hii. @Lynne .. thank you..
    hey.... friends... today i m feeling so happy/... because today was india VS pakistan world cup cricket match. and india wons... . :) B) yupiiiiiiiiiiiii
    hey @Lynne thank you so much . you edited my post. i had a lots of mistake in there. thanks again. it helps me to correct my mistakes and learn so much. :)
  • pentelpentel Posts: 18 ✭✭
    @trupti thank you ^_^ im from philippines, how about you? where are you from? wow, you had a very nice valentines day :) Mine I spend my time with my boyfriend and he gave me brownies and flowers. H ebought me a new skateboard too :)