Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"March is a month of considerable frustration - it is so near spring and yet across a great deal of the country the weather is still so violent and changeable that outdoor activity seems light years away."
Thalassa Cruso
Please note: The MARS / WARS and FADS sessions are back on Skype for 2 weeks, but a couple of Lynne's sessions have been cancelled. Check the calendar for dates and times.
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Your Challenge - Go out / Take out / Leave out / Try out

LynneLynne Your TeacherHomePosts: 8,802 mod
edited March 2015 in Phrasal Verbs
@bubbli - @aryarchi - @april - @Hermine - @Bobmendez - @lichaamstaal - @Dora et al.

Try making some sentences with the phrasal verbs above.
Post edited by Lynne on

Comments

• DoraDora Teacher's Pet Posts: 3,054 mod
    @Lynne - You forgot me. :(
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 9,830 mod
    edited February 2015
    Do I like chips? Yes I do, but I don't like deep frying it in oil.
    So I bought an Airfryer where I can fry chips , but I can leave the oil out.
    I have been trying this kitchen appliance out for weeks.
    However, my chips are still not perfect.
    Most of the time they are not golden brown and sometimes they are too crispy.
    Not easy!
    This evening a friend of mine will come to dinner.
    I have a meal with chips in mind, but I'm not sure if I can serve her the chips from my Airfryer.
    Maybe I'd better take her out for a meal in a fish and chip restaurant.
    She is my best friend and I won't go out of my way to give her a nice evening.
    Okay, the die is cast, we'll go out this evening. :)

---------------------------
    Do I like chips? Yes I do, but I don't like deep frying them in oil, so I bought an Airfryer that I can use to make chips, but I can leave the oil out.

I have been trying this kitchen appliance out for weeks. However, my chips are still not perfect. Most of the time they are not golden brown and sometimes they are too crispy. Not easy!

This evening a friend of mine is coming to dinner. I have a meal with chips in mind, but I'm not sure if I can serve her chips made in my Airfryer. Maybe I'd better take her out for a meal in a fish and chip restaurant.

She is my best friend, so I won't have to go out of my way to give her a nice evening.

Okay, the die is cast, we'll go out this evening. :)

(I'm not sure if you really meant you won't push the boat out for your friend.)
    Post edited by Lynne on
  • FrankFrank Moderator Posts: 5,501 mod
    edited February 2015
    I like to go out for dinner and this evening I want to try out that new restaurant.
    If I don’t like it, I’ll just take out my wallet to pay, but leave out the tip.

----------------------------

I like to go out for dinner, and this evening I want to try out a new restaurant.
    If I don’t like it, I’ll just take out my wallet to pay, but leave out the tip.
    Post edited by Lynne on
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    @Lynne Thank you teacher!
    On this weekend, I have planned to go out with my sister to take a round of our new house. After that, I will clean up my room and take out all unnecessary things. In the evening, I will try out a new recipe that is Apple beignets. At night, I will leave out for a walk with my friend for sometime.

-----------------------

This weekend, I have planned to take my sister out for a tour of our new house. After that, I will clean my room and clear out any clutter, I'll leave it out for the bin men. In the evening, I will try out a new recipe, apple beignets. Then, that night, I will go out for a walk with my friend.
    Post edited by Lynne on
    @Lynne said:
    (I'm not sure if you really meant you won't push the boat out for your friend.)

??? @Lynne ?
    I don't really understand which verb is wrong. :(

Thanks anyway for your correction.
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 24,482 mod
    When I go out I'll take out the rubbish and try out the new dustbins instead of leaving out everything in a messy pile.

• aryarchiaryarchi Posts: 862 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Last day my parents went out to buy new furniture, I was alone at home and I sat on my bed by myself all the day watching TV, I felt hungry so that I took some eggs out of the fridge, I think my parents were eating out.
    I just wanted to try out some new spices in my fried egg, I'm so experted in frying eggs :)
    I'm used to spicy foods that's why I can never leave pepper out .

--------------------

Yesterday my parents went out to buy some new furniture. I was alone at home and I sat on my bed by myself all day watching TV until I felt hungry: I took some eggs out of the fridge, I think my parents were eating out.

I just wanted to try out some new spices in my fried egg, I'm so expert at frying eggs, and
    I'm used to spicy foods, which is why I can never leave out the pepper.
    Post edited by Lynne on
    I tried out living with you but that turned out to be wrong; I'll leave out the details, but now I want you to go out of that door and take out all your stuff.
    @lichaamstaal wrote:
    I like to go out for dinner and this evening I want to try out that new restaurant.

@Lynne corrected:
    I like to go out for dinner, and this evening I want to try out a new restaurant.
    ----------------------------
    What is wrong with that new restaurant @Lynne?
    I want to try out a particular new restaurant - that new restaurant...
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 8,802 mod
    @april -
    She is my best friend and I won't go out of my way to give her a nice evening.
    "Won't" implies you're not bothered if she has a good time, or not.
    @lichaamstaal - You are writing for the reader, and the reader has no idea what new restaurant you're talking about.

Okay, I understand what you mean @Lynne.
    edited February 2015
    @Lynne Thank you for the correction!
    Go out / Take out / Leave out / Try out
    I tried out new a new hair style today. I like to go out for a morning walk. I have intentionally left out few points in this report. I will take out only three books from your library.

-------------------

I have intentionally left out a few points in this report.

I will only take out three books from your library.
    Post edited by Lynne on
    edited February 2015
    I would like to go out with you on hill station. This time, I have decided to try out new adventures like hiking. I have taken out many things for this trip. But later on, I left out many of them due to my short stay.

--------------------

I would like to go out to the hill station with you.

This time, I have decided to try out some new adventures, like hiking.

I had taken many things out of the wardrobe for this trip, but later on, I left many of them out of the suitcase, due to my short stay.
    Post edited by Lynne on
  • meme90meme90 Posts: 1
    edited February 2015
    why don't you go out somewhere with me! I would like to take you out to the sea and
    let you try out how to swim then happily we will leave out to have a dinner at your favorite place . So what do you say ?

---------------------

Why don't you go out with me! I would like to take you out to the sea and let you try out a bit of swimming, then we will leave happily to have dinner at your favorite place . So, what do you say ?
    Post edited by Lynne on
    Still ??????????? @Lynne .
    Remind me on Monday @April, and we can talk through it. :smile:
    Hmm, if I had the courage :)
    Thank you , @Lynne.
  • RiturajRituraj Posts: 4
    edited February 2015
    I want to go out for a walk.
    I would love to try out that pretty outfit.
    Take out your jacket as it's warm inside.
    Can you please leave you stress out before joining us for yoga.

Take your jacket with you as it's warm inside.
    Can you please leave your stress outside before joining us for yoga.
    Post edited by Lynne on
  • aryarchiaryarchi Posts: 862 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Window shopping is one of my pleasures, I remember mostly going out with my friends and looking at the new men's clothing .
    After moving to Indonesia we couldn't go out as much as we did in Iran. We weren't used to heavy rain. One they I left out my umbrella. The weather was sunny but suddenly It started raining, I took a plastic bag out of my pocket and put it on my head. It seemed to had worked for me, It was the first time that I tried out a plastic bag as an umbrella.

Window shopping is one of my pleasures, I remember mostly going out with my friends and looking at new men's clothing.

After moving to Indonesia we couldn't go out as much as we did in Iran. We weren't used to the heavy rain. One time I left my umbrella at home, the weather had been sunny but suddenly it started raining, so I took a plastic bag out of my pocket and put it on my head. It seemed to work for me, and it was the first time that I had tried out a plastic bag as an umbrella.
    Post edited by Lynne on
    edited February 2015
    @Lynne for correction please:)
    My sister needs few books for the preparation of her exams. So I have planned to go out with her to a nearby market. I have taken out my wallet from my purse but it was empty. So, I have left it out and decided to try out my credit card this time.

-------------

My sister needs a few books to prepare for her exams, so I have planned to go out with her to a nearby market. I had taken out my wallet from my purse, but it was empty, so I left it out on the table, and decided to try out my credit card this time.
    Post edited by Lynne on
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 24,482 mod
    Dangerous @bubbli! If you're anything like me, you go into a bookshop planning to buy just one or two books and come out with a pile. I used to avoid taking plastic with me if I didn't want to go mad and spend too much.
    So @april. Are we agreed that you meant:-

She is my best friend, so I will go out of my way to give her a nice evening.

:wink:
    @mheredge really we have so much in common.:) really dangerous!:P
    edited February 2015
    @Lynne, I'm agreed, but everytime I need to tell my brain why I made you confused with my previous sentence. :)

---------------

@Lynne, I agree, but I still need to tell my brain why I you confused you with my previous sentence.

@Lynne, I'm in agreement, but I still need to tell my brain why I you confused you with my previous sentence.
    Post edited by Lynne on
    I think this was a tough one. Here's an example:-

We went out for a drive yesterday to try out the new code for the radio in the van. We didn't forget to take Laika out for a walk, we didn't want her to feel left out.
This discussion has been closed.