Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"March is a month of considerable frustration - it is so near spring and yet across a great deal of the country the weather is still so violent and changeable that outdoor activity seems light years away."
Thalassa Cruso
Please note: The MARS / WARS and FADS sessions are back on Skype for 2 weeks, but a couple of Lynne's sessions have been cancelled. Check the calendar for dates and times.
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

How do your animals sound?

FrankFrank ModeratorPosts: 5,501 mod
Words, like nouns or verbs, differ in various languages. That is quite obvious. That's just what makes languages different, isn't it?. For example the word for chair is stoel in Dutch, chaise in French, Stuhl in German, καρέκλα in Greek, stolica in Servo-Croat, कुर्सी in Hindi, стул in Russian, krzesło in Polish and 椅子 in Chinese. These words often differ very much, but you would expect the words for the sounds that animals make, to be quite the same in all languages. Animals make the same sounds everywhere, don't they?

Yet it's not true. Although animals seem to make the same sounds in various countries, the words for animal sounds that are used in human languages are quite different. Here you see an example of the word for the sound pigs make in different languages.

What sounds do animals make in your country? What words do you use? Are they the same as the English words or are they different? Try to make a comparison.

These are the words English and Dutch animals make:

Animal
cat
chicken
cow
dog
duck
horse
pig
sheep
rooster

English
meow
cluck
moo
woof
quack
neigh
oink
baa
cock-a-doodle-do

Dutch
miauw
tok-tok
boe
woef
kwak-kwak
hi-hi-hi-hi
knor-knor
beeh
kukelekuu
Tagged:

Comments

• LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 8,802 mod
    It looks as if Dutch animals are more talkative than English ones. :wink:
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    meow!:)
  • FrankFrank Moderator Posts: 5,501 mod
    I think cock-a-doodle-do is rather talkative @Lynne. The strangest thing is that when a rooster crows, I really hear kukelekuu instead of cock-a-doodle-do. The same counts when i listen to pigs: I hear knor knor. They definitely don't make a sound that sounds like oink oink in my ears, and as for the horse. If it would say neigh, this means no in Dutch. And I don't consider horses to be that negative.
  • korczixkorczix Posts: 58 ✭✭
    Yes it is very inetersting think. I wonder if it would opportunity to learn the animals reaction to commands in different languages? For me it seems like learning animals foregin languages.
    @korczix - People often ask me whether Laika speaks English or German. I tell them she is bilingual.
    We are trained from a very young age to associate certain sounds to animals:-

• korczixkorczix Posts: 58 ✭✭
    @Lynne I think it is good that you teach her (I think you mentioned about your cat) different languages in this global time. When your pet will move to another country she will be able to quickly adapt to different social enviroment.
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    sometimes our association with a pet animal/bird is stronger than humans! I felt it once when I lost my parakeet!
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 24,482 mod
    I have a German friend who has given up working abroad because of her dog, which cannot adapt to being left or living in a strange environment.

She wanted to come to Nepal last year, but couldn't because of her dog. She's here now, but only for a very short visit, because of the dog. Somehow it seems that the dog has taken over her life.
  • FrankFrank Moderator Posts: 5,501 mod
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 5,896 mod
    Actually, our cat isnˋt much talkaktive. I just hear him meowing when he wants me to open the front door or he wants some milk or food. The loudest sound come when Iˋm not fast enough to open him the door.
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 5,896 mod
    I donˋt know why but I canˋt edit my previous post. .... here is the correction... sound comes...
This discussion has been closed.