Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer.

Helen Hunt Jackson - September
The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.

John Updike, September
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Grandparents!

LynneLynne Your TeacherHomePosts: 9,477 mod
edited February 2015 in Humour
For two solid hours, the lady sitting next to a man on an airplane had told him about her grandchildren. She told him what they did, where they lived, how clever they were. She had even produced a plastic-foldout photo album of all nine of them.

She finally realized that he was looking very fed up, and that she had dominated the entire conversation.

"Oh, I've done all the talking" she said, "I'm so sorry. Please, tell me... what do you think of my grandchildren?"
Post edited by Lynne on

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 27,014 mod
    Speechless? Poor guy.
  • FrankFrank Moderator Posts: 5,951 mod
    edited February 2015
    For much people it's difficult not to talk about themselves and/or about the things that keep them busy most. They somehow still think the universe is turning around the world and the world is turning around them. Often they have a blind spot for this too. I guess the lady in the airplane didn't even realise that: Please, tell me... what do you think of my grandchildren?, was just another invitation to talk about, what she considered most important. I guess she couldn't imagine the man was not interested in her grandchildren.

Unfortunately, people can become isolated when they only talk about themselves or their family (and don't forget their work). When you go to a birthday party, those people always sit next to the sole empty chair in the room. Beware you are not going to sit on that chair or you'll probably have to listen to grandchildren-stories the whole evening.
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,180 mod
    I won't be too harsh with her.
    She might be lonely or she might be worried in a plane.
    This is true @april. Poor woman might have been nervous and this would make her more garrulous. Talking about anything would help keep her mind off flying.

• XanthippeXanthippe Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My grandmother was even worse. She sent me to her old schoolfriend under the pretext that she wished me to deliver Easter ornaments to her. But it turned out during the conversation that all this had been arranged to present me. To make things worse this extremely grumpy elderly lady was well aware that I hadn't been doing much household. Well....
    Exactly, @mheredge .
    C'est ça. :)
    To present you, @Xanthippe ? How? Sorry for my stupid question.
    to present
    a. To offer for observation, examination, or consideration; show or display: The detective presented his badge.
    b. To offer (a play, for example) for public entertainment.

I wouldn't say 'introduce'. He he. Rather to offer as an entertainment. :)
    My goodness, @Xanthippe ! :)
    But you didn't need to know anything about household if you came there as an entertainment, did you? :#
  • RiturajRituraj Posts: 4
    edited February 2015
    I strongly feel that she was very lonely person. She misses her grandchildren very much. So, while talking about them on and on might makes her feel close to them.

---------------

I strongly feel that she was a very lonely person. She misses her grandchildren very much. So, talking about them on and on might make her feel close to them.
    Post edited by Lynne on
  • aryarchiaryarchi Posts: 864 ✭✭✭
    There are only a few people of such kind sitting by you and telling whatever they had in their life. It's up to us, whether we accept them or not we should respect to what they are speaking about, cause they are speaking about their own life containing some memories or maybe secrets.
    Also sometimes it happens for me, I just want to tell all my life to my friend.
    @april I tried to escape and as it was just before Easter I told the lady that I had a lot of spring cleaning to do at home. But she answered grumpily that I usually wasn't concerned about such things. :)
    edited February 2015
    Hihihi, she was well informed (and correctly? :) ) , @Xanthippe ! :)
    edited February 2015
    I pretty much agree with you, @aryarchi :) .
    I agree with you too, @Rituraj.
    Even if I was not really interested in her story, I'd politely listen to her. :)
    Introduce is the right word @Xanthippe. She wanted to show you off to her friend. :)

I usually find other people's stories very interesting. I'm sure I'd be happy listening to her.
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,058 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    In this era of technology, we have everything, every facility, and social media. But, we dont have active listeners now. we cant give a vent to our emotions and feelings because we socialize via emails, sms, social media simply we socialize with machines. I have seen many strangers who talk to me and share their very personal life stories just because I give them undivided attention and listen to them and their feelings. Its dilemma of this century that is taking us eventually to the world that has everything but not inner satisfaction.
    Sadly you are too right @bubbli. I think most people have lost the art of listening to others. This is one of the reasons I enjoy travelling so much. People often seem a lot less inhibited to talk to strangers when they travel. People have such fascinating stories to tell. People are fascinating.
    edited February 2015
    We have a lot of active listeners (readers) on this forum @bubbli, who are well prepared to listen (read) to our chit chat.
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,058 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @lichaamstaal where?
    Here @bubbli. I mean us, all the members that participate in the forum.
    Eavesdropping on the Internet. :)

• LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,477 mod
    There's always someone to listen to you if you have a Samsung:-

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-31296188
    I'd never heard of TV-sets that can listen to everything you say via the remote control @Lynne. That's weird! Now I'm really happy they haven't invented TV-sets that respond on sign language yet.
    OMG @Lynne, I've just noticed the big flatscreen TV in the living room is a Samdung that looks just like the one in the BBC article! I'd better watch my P's and Q's.
    Fortunately our TV set is quite old and can't eavesdrop anything, poor thing. :)
    At least that Samsung feature will listen to me unconditionally.
    I only hope that it will share what it hears to the third party correctly too.
    Try to find out what language the Samsung devise understands @april. Maybe than you can still share some secrets without being afraid it will tell-tale.
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,477 mod
    edited February 2015
    @mheredge Did you deliberately call it a Samdung? Very clever. :smile:

@April I'm just worried anyone listening will get bored.

Has your TV gone a bit hard of hearing @Xanthippe?
    That's right, @Lynne. Our pack is ageing and so is our TV set. :)