Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beautiful December

Now, when the garden awaits the return of spring
Now, when the silence is deep and blue
Now, when the winter has cast her spell again
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Here, where the snow is as soft as a woolly lamb
Here, where the nightfall is deep and blue,
Here, where the stars are so bright, you reach for them
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Child, may you sleep in gentle peace tonight
Dream of songs that rise on silken wings!
When you wake, enchanted by the snowspun light
Sing the songs that came to you in dreams,
Your beautiful December dreams
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Food experiments

LynneLynne Your TeacherHomePosts: 9,657 mod
What was your best / worst childhood food experiment?

My best one was fish finger sandwiches (with tartare sauce). My worst - putting salt on a banana sandwich. I guess I liked sandwiches as a kid.

Comments

• FrankFrank Moderator Posts: 6,158 mod
    My best food experiments were when I had to make something from scratch, while I didn't do any shopping. Then I grabbed something out of the freezer, sometimes not knowing what is in was. One day I thought to have found spaghetti sauce, but actually it was Chili Con Carne. So I made spaghetti with a special chili sauce, which turned out to be very tasty. Another time I made my spaghetti sauce with shawarma spices because I had no other spices available. This also was better than expected. My worst experiment was when I tried to make breaded fish and swapped the flour for the salt.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,561 mod
    My worst disaster was toad in the hole (the hole was too deep so the toad was very soggy). My best experiment was a boneless chicken stuffed with a apricot and pistachio nut stuffing. It took most of the day to make, so I never did it again.
  • SairaSaira Posts: 846 ✭✭✭
    I like to learn different dishes in my childhood.I learnt baking and often make cakes and biscuits ,every one praise .Once my cousins said they want to learn Brownies so I arrange everything and every one standing around me ,When I put in oven and half cook light is gone and it makes rubbish and I was very upset.
    My husband always like what I cook,Actually I work with different chefs as a hobby ,so I enjoying cooking very much.
    My cousin made a fruit salad with strawberries, water melon, and apple. She added a splash of some Schweppes orange drink to it as an experiment. It worked really well. I would never thought of it, but the slight fizz and sweetness of the drink made a very good 'dressing' to the fruit.
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 6,744 mod
    edited May 2015
    A famous confectioner in Vienna makes cakes for Arabia, the cakes get gold as a topping. Maybe I didn`t hit the question Lynne asks, but the idea of eating gold will make me hm.. what shall I say,.... sick.
  • SairaSaira Posts: 846 ✭✭✭
    @mheredge ,your fruit salad sounds very tasty specially the fruit combination.
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,131 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I always do experiments with food since my childhood in order to make it different. I can recall one experiment that was both good and bad. The bad part was when I baked cake for the first time, I added one extra eggs and one table spoon baking powder in the batter. When I put it in the preheated oven, it started spilling over after 5 min. I turned off the oven, moved it out and started crying. My mother consoled me by saying that it would be all right once cooled down. But it didn't. The good part was in order to rectify my mistake I did an experiment with it that surprisingly worked. I put in the batter some dry milk powder and coconut powder (available at home at that time) and mixed it. Then I put it in the ice cube tray and let it freeze for one hour. It turned into a very good and tasty sweet. :)
  • madhugmadhug Posts: 779 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2015
    I am sharing a funny incident with my elder sister.
    It was summer holidays, mom and dad not in the home. I was watching cricket with my friends then i asked and request to my sister to prepare any food (snacks or Gulab jamun) to my friends. Finally..! she accepted to prepare Gulab Jamun after that she went to kitchen and doing something..! doing something...!. we don't know what she was doing.

finally we forgot about what she was doing, we were concentrated on cricket. all of sudden she come out from the kitchen and say " I have prepared Gulab Jamun, don't hurry to get it, wait at least half an hour to cool" and she left from the house.

We were starving, after half an hour we went to kitchen eagerly and saw the Gulab Jamun bowl.

We were shocked..!

When we were going to take a Gulab Jamun with spoon. It's not coming out. Gulab Jamun becomes very hard. we could not pick it out.

Then we make it bowl up side down then also there is no use Jamun sticked into the pan. We had been laughed at least half an hour.

What she did do you know?

After fry in oil, we nee to keep the gulab jamuns are soaking in the sugar syrup instead of she fried all gulab jamuns in Sugar Syrup. :)
    edited June 2015
    @madhug so you've converted Gulab Jamun into Gulab jammed. What a sweet story. :)
    @bubbli: You have given a good caption "Gulab Jammed" about my memorable story.
    @madhug I made it two time and I think it is very easier to make it. But first time, I burned last few Gulab Jaman due to hot oil. :) I also tried rus malai as well and it is delicious more than Gulab Jaman. I am thinking to make it again for "Aftar" as it is really cool to make it in this hot season.
    @bubbli: I know how to make gulab jamun, but i don't know how to make malai
    @madhug I will share my recipe of Rus Malai in recipe corner. :) It is so easy and delicious.
    @bubbli : Thank you..! bubbli.
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 6,744 mod
    Yesterday I watched on YouTube a cooking show with Gordon Ramsay. I was a great fan of him until I watched this video. He and another man were cooking when Ramnsay noticed the consistents of the eggs are wrong. He took the pan off the hob and was looking for a dusbin, didn`t find one and throw it just onto the floor.
    They used 6 to 7 eggs.

Sorry, I speak for all the hungry people of our planet that was n o t okay and I skip him out of my favourite list.

I also switch off the TV when cooking stars are using leaf gold for their dishes. That also is a no go.

• GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,937 mod
    A lot of food experiments happen when there is no food in the house, because that means that I have to use bits and pieces that I have left over, and just put them together. I have eaten a lot of very interesting sandwiches in the past, and pasta with different vegetables in. There are lots of things that I don't think I will ever be trying again, but I am glad that I had the experience of it now.
  • nisreen.mustafanisreen.mustafa Posts: 208 ✭✭✭✭
    i've never eat eggs in my whole life, it started when i was 2 years old , i don't like its smell
    Those celebrity chefs sometimes are a bit precious @Hermine. I do like Jamie Oliver's campaign against sugar though.

@nisreen.mustafa try it by keeping in mind the taste of eggs. :)
  • [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    I don't know if any of you have tried or heard of this experiment, or is it a Turkish speciality: we mix tahina ( it is sesame oil) and pekmez (thick syrup of grape juice) together. I strongly recommend it to everyone. It's really delicious food for breakfast as popular as american peanut butter. :)
  • I remember when I was a child, I liked to make salt fish sandwich. I smeared butter on bread, cut fish on small pieces and put on bread. That was fantastic taste :smile:
    That sounds good @Eugene. I remember eating anchovies like that one time. Salt fish isn't easy to get hold of though, and anchovies are rather expensive.
  • @mheredge , why salt fish isn't easy to get?
  • mcc15mcc15 Posts: 79 ✭✭
    My brother and I caught two fish a few years ago. I thought it would be funny to fill his fish with choped peaches. I was sure he wouldn't like it and my backup plan was to give him mine...but I didn't have to. Fish + peaches = unexpectedly tasty
    Open a fresh fish, remove bones and fill it with garlic, butter and peaches :)
    @mcc15 I still can't imagine the combination of fish with peaches. :)
  • kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,673 mod
    edited March 2016
    I felt happy before when my very own recipe of combining onions and hotdogs went pretty tasty and delicious. :)
  • nain_khan1nain_khan1 Posts: 161 ✭✭
    i have also a chilhood experiment i had made eggs sweet i heard on t.v,at the time of cooking i become confuse that what was the correct recipe and i try it.In one cup of milk mix sugar 2 tablespone and one eggs then cook it for little time egg sweet will ready but i am still confuse one egg or two eggs i heard.
    It seems tree tomatoes here are used to make fruit juice and not pickle, like in Nepal.