Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Got or gotten?

DoraDora Teacher's PetPosts: 3,024 mod
I have faced a problem, guys.
One of my English teacher taught us that 2nd and 3rd form of get is got.
But she had left the school. Our present teacher told that it's like this way:
Get Got Gotten
When I told her that she is mistaken and about what our previous teacher said, she said that gotten is also correct. Now, I am really confused. Help me! :confounded:

Comments

• DoraDora Teacher's Pet Posts: 3,024 mod
    @Lynne, @xeb, @lichaamstaal, @mheredge or anyone else here??
  • FrankFrank Moderator Posts: 5,372 mod
    edited January 2015
    @Dora‌ The form gotten is not used in British English anymore, but is quite common in North American English. In the UK, the old word “gotten” dropped out of use except in such stock phrases as “ill-gotten” and “gotten up,” but in the US it is frequently used as the past participle of “get.” However, in North American English, got and gotten are not identical in use. “Got” implies current possession, as in “I’ve got just five dollars to buy my dinner with.” “Gotten,” in contrast, often implies the process of getting hold of something: “I’ve gotten five dollars for cleaning out Mrs. Quimby’s shed” emphasizing the earning of the money rather than its possession.

Phrases that involve some sort of process usually involve “gotten”: “My grades have gotten better since I moved out of the fraternity.” When you have to leave, you’ve got to go. If you say you’ve “gotten to go” you’re implying someone gave you permission to go.
    Source: http://public.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/got.html

More on this subject:
    http://www-personal.umich.edu/~jlawler/aue/gotten.html
  • aryarchiaryarchi Posts: 862 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2015
    This is what is written on the last page of my grammar book. Get Got Got :)
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 24,098 mod
    I sometimes hear Indians use gotten, but this is because they still use English that has gone out of fashion in the UK.
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 8,644 mod
    edited January 2015
    Got or Gotten

Gotten was never really in fashion in the UK Marianne, it's an Americanism, still in use in the USA.

I was chatting with Kip from Virtlantis, and he was surprised we don't use it.

As a Brit I only use "I have got" to indicate possession, and Americans use the same form.

However I don't express the present perfect with "got" (I use other verbs for that), Americans on the other hand will say "I have gotten".

I do sympathise @Dora, but my advice in these situations is to go along with the person who will be marking your tests.

• BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 29,831 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Dora Gotten is frequently used in South Asian countries and I also faced the same problem! But I think @Lynne is right! a question for @Lynne is there any book or website that provides information about both new and old English? so that we can do comparison about old and new words.
  • LeonardooLeonardoo Posts: 53 ✭✭
    I prefer to say "got". However, I've said "gotten" after talking to other leaners who use the form "gotten". Both are correct.
This discussion has been closed.