Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The April rain, the April rain,
Comes slanting down in fitful showers,
Then from the furrow shoots the grain,
And banks are fledged with nestling flowers;
And in grey shawl and woodland bowers
The cuckoo through the April rain
Calls once again."

Mathilde Blind, April Rain
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Are you a culture vulture?

aryarchiaryarchi Posts: 862 ✭✭✭
Are you interested in arts? If so, how much are you interested in it and whats your favorite context?

Best Answers

Answers

• aryarchiaryarchi Posts: 862 ✭✭✭
    @mheredge Same here,that's why I was keen on studying architecture, I have never read any about photography and also I'm not a professional photographer. I'd like to see photo galleries but I can't judge about them as an expert.
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 24,927 mod
    With art, I think it's very personal. In that sense, everyone has their own idea of what is beautiful or pleasing. In this way, everyone is an expert @aryarchi‌.
    Yes, it could be as you said, but for people without any knowledge of arts, it would be difficult to judge. of course they can do it but their judge is limited to whether the work is beautiful or not.
    Do you need to know about the painter or the school of art to appreciate art @aryarchi‌? It can be interesting to know about the background, but I'm not sure whether it changes how you see something or if you like it or not.
    They can't decide about the qualities like Symmetry,equilibrium,contrast and so others, or they can't decide whether it's realism,abstract art,modern or other styles.
    Well, You write in Hindi? @bubbli
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 29,874 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @aryarchi‌ No, I would learn Urdu and Arabic Calligraphy!
    @korczix , Are you interested in going to concerts?
    I'm over the moon. I sing in a choir in Kathmandu and yesterday found out that the next concert will be a performance of Carmina Burana, an opera by Carl Orff. I first sang this in 1976! So I'm very excited at the opportunity to sing it again after nearly 40 years! ( I'm that old? Okay, I was at school.)
    @lichaamstaal , that's exactly right, you can go through your imagination by arts, you can paint your dreams, it's not important that you are a talented painter or not,you can express it by drawing lines and many simple shapes.
    @mheredge, you used to sing when you were child, right? Carmina a Burana is going to sing what you sang before?
    When I was at school I used to sing in a school choir @aryarchi. I don't read music very well (and don't like to sing on my own), but I like singing with lots of other people. On and off through the years, I have enjoyed singing in various choirs. This is choir is particularly fun.
    @mheredge , I also used to play roles when I was studying at school. I remember having participated in such activities at school.
    Do you mean that you used to act @aryarchi? What sort of plays did you act in? Or was it role-playing, where you imagined you were a particular person?
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 4,327 mod
    I very much enjoy culture, and like to see what it on offer in every country I visit. When I am in London, I love to go to all of the art galleries to see the different things that are on display. It is worth the trip into the city just to see those alone. I also enjoy music and can perform myself, which is always a joy.
    edited February 2015
    I'd also like to play the guitar for pleasure but I've never played it. As an architect I'm used to sketching everyday, most of which are buildings. @malekkk
    A very good friend of mine used to be an architect and then became an artist @aryarchi. He had some lovely sketches of buildings, but he was much more into metaphysics and painting sounds.

http://www.anthonynicholson.com/
    @mheredge, Nice, what happened then? she didn't do any architectural designs anymore?
    No @aryarchi, he gave up architecture as he had always wanted to be an artist. As you can imagine, his house was beautifully designed though!
    What a sad story! :( . But he is still an artist.
    It was sad @aryarchi, because he never really wanted to be an architect. He was only doing what his father wanted him to do. Soon after his father died, he followed his dream and became an artist.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    I like calligrapher & sculpture too much....
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 29,874 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @talal96 I also like calligraphy and I intend to take admission in some institute for getting training in Islamic calligraphy.
    @talal96 , I've seen some works of Arab calligraphist who use some parts of Quran as their samples and create amazing manuscripts.
    I think many of us consider sculpting as an expensive and time-consuming art, but it's not that hard we think, it's possible to create a sculpture from many materials around ourselves, which are useless, as easily as possible.
    Japanese and Chinese calligraphy is very beautiful too. But most of all, I adore the pottery from China.
This discussion has been closed.