Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"March is a month of considerable frustration - it is so near spring and yet across a great deal of the country the weather is still so violent and changeable that outdoor activity seems light years away."
Thalassa Cruso
Please note: The MARS / WARS and FADS sessions are back on Skype for another week, but a couple of Lynne's sessions have been cancelled. Check the calendar for dates and times.
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Can we eat bugs?

LynneLynne Your TeacherHomePosts: 8,828 mod
Stefan Gates keeps trying to convince us that we can, and that with 7 billion people on the planet, we will have to.

Tagged:

Comments

• komikomi Posts: 420 ✭✭✭
    Hi @Lynne‌ . You did not found a video that is shorter than this one? 57 min ?
    And the answer to the question is... ?
    My friend like to say: " until I taste lion for me the pig is the king of the animals."
    :D

• mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 24,539 mod
    I think somewhere else I posted about exotic foods. Bugs are a wonderful source of protein and many indigenous peoples in remote areas of the world still eat a lot of bugs.
    @filauzio has given me some very good reasons why not to eat maggots @lichaamstaal (Larks and owls).
  • FrankFrank Moderator Posts: 5,546 mod
    edited January 2015
    I've seen it @mheredge. And at the moment you wrote this post, I redirected to this post from "Larks and Owls' - must be some kind of synergy Marianne.
  • filauziofilauzio Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't really think, @lichaamstaal, that we are genetically determined to feel disgust for creepy crawlies.
    I seem to recollect having studied, but I might be wrong, that we are onnivorous, and that this would be proved by the fact that our digestive system isn't neither so short as the carnivorous one, nor so long as the vegetarian one.
    We would be therefore able to eat a variety of products unless they were poisonous products, or strictly belonging to vegetable kingdom ( we couldn't assimilate leaves or grass ).
    I think it has more to do with the amount of proteins you could get from, say, a grasshopper compared with the amount you could get from a slice of beef meat.
    With regard to taste, I have no experience but I guess it not worse than the meat's taste.
    I quite like most bugs, snakes and creepy crawlies EXCEPT maggots and leeches @lichaamstaal. I particularly like spiders.
    Actually ones I've eaten grasshoppers and meal worms @mheredge and @filauzio. I was invited to speak about one of my books in a television talk show. One of the other quests came to tell something about eating bugs. Of cause to make it a more living conversation, they'd prepared some bugs, which they gave to the guests in the programme. It was prepared in olive oil with garlic and it didn't taste bad at all. For a snack this was rather good, but I doubt if I would be ready to eat this as a complete meal instead of meat almost every day. And it will be necessary to do that if we want to solve the world food problem and the carbon oxide emissions by eating bugs.
    Another interesting question, @lichaamstaal, would be if eating bugs could prevent us from becoming ill.
    I mean that eating meat, especially if done frequently, could be unhealthy.
    Bug's proteins might be the solution.
    Now you mention it @lichaamstaal, I seem to recall snacking on some spicy insect at a bar somewhere, though I can''t remember where (Cambodia seems likely though). They weren't bad at all.

Bug protein might be a good way to reduce eating meat @filauzio. Of course vegetarians and vegans might still protest at the idea.
    edited January 2015
    Eating bugs might be a lot healthier than eating meat indeed @filauzio as long as they don't inject the insects with hormones. And as far as I know (except for Malaria) bugs don't carry diseases that are dangerous for people. I mean, I never heard of a 'mad cockroach disease' or a 'butterfly fever'. BTW aren't butterflies nice for decoration on your desert?
    I suffered from inexplicable stomach problems for a few years @fliauzio and even went to have all sorts of tests to see if I had some sort of digestive problem with certain foods. I was recommended to avoid certain foods like cheese (which distressed me intensely). But the day I go laid off from a job I didn't like much, I miraculously was cured overnight. Stress was the cause. I now can eat cheese till the cows come home without any bad effect.
    These are the holiest words I've ever heard since long, @mheredge
    When you don't like your work, your stomach tell you first.
    I think stress is the worst thing you can deal with, and the majority of names medicine use to describe every kind of diseases are nothing but its synonyms.
    What do you mean " till the cows come home ? " , you mean till evening ?
    Stress affects people differently @filauzio. Some people get headaches. But I think it's quite common that stress also gives stomach ache. Since I stopped working at a job I found stressful, I haven't had any problem. It was amazing how immediate the 'cure' was too.

Till the cows come home means a very long time.... It sort of implies forever.

Your stomach is very clever, @mheredge, you can cheat everyone but your stomach.
    Would your stomach notice the difference, if you wouldn't give it spaghetti bolognese or pizza frutti di mare (seafood) anymore, but a delicious spaghetti scarafaggio (cockroach) or a pizza con cavalletta (grasshopper) instead @filauzio?
    To be honest, @lichaamstaal, at the very moment I read your post, my stomach went gurgling a bit.
    I mean not at reading of " spaghetti bolognese " or " pizza frutti di mare ", but of " spaghetti scarafaggio " and " pizza con cavalletta " instead.
    You have accomplished a miracle, you're better than bicarbonate, I have recovered at once !
    I'll hurry out to buy one excellent " pizza con cavalletta ", without delaying any more time.
    Maybe together with one " coca cola ", for I'm not sure of the result.
    See you soon on this forum ( if I'm still alive ).

BTW I want to compliment you for your Italian !
    edited February 2015
    I wish you lots of luck with your stomach @filauzio!
    @lichaamstaal I know I wouldn't be too impressed at being served up a plate of spaghetti scarafaggio as I really don't like cockroaches, but or a pizza con cavalletta sounds quite palatable don't you think @filauzio?

Don't people eat grasshoppers (or locusts) quite commonly in North Africa? I remember my father telling me that they were quite a delicacy.
    My stomach is gurgling with desire, gurgling and gurgling once more at the mere mentioning of this appetizing dish, @mheredge.
    I've got two helpings of " pizza con cavalletta ", will you like one ?
    Apart from joke, I think that the fact that Africans (commonly !? ) eat grasshoppers can explain why the obesity is not present over that area.
    Maybe this is a silly reasoning, it has obviously more to do with the lack of food in general, but I think can be somewhat true.
    Eating meat proteins isn't the only choice we're obliged to make.
    And children's obesity may be a debt to be paid, which can last all over your life.
    Please! I'm always game to try out new things.

Some schoolfriends have been passing around on Facebook a school photo taken when we were 15 years old. One friend made a very good point when she said how it was interesting that there was not a single fat person in the photo of around 600 students and teachers.
    Yes, you're right @mheredge. Some years ago, a fat child wasn't so common to be found at school.
    This is the reason why, I suppose, he usually became the butt of all his schoolfriends' jokes.
    I remember eating filled rolls with ham or salami, when at school; I don't remember anybody eating prepacked cakes filled with adultered ingredients and sugar.
    However I think that the most important reason is that children don't take some exercise as we did, which would prevent them from getting that fifty-year-old-man's belly.
    Even a lazybones like me problem got far more exercise than the average kid nowadays @filauzio. I think food contains a lot more sugar and additives than back then too. As kids, we were treated to sweets as a wekly, not daily thing too. I'm willing to bet that none of my school mates are obese though, even if they're a lot older. Most are fairly middle class and not poverty stricken. A lot of fat people are fat because they can't afford to eat more expensive healthy food.
    Yes, you're right, @mheredge; when I was young, you were supposed to fill your spare time making exercise.
    In fact I and my mates wandered the most of that time " exercising " ourselves to try out everything but study; however, in doing so, which was always an aerobic activity, we consumed all those calories we derived from our meals
    We might have played whatever in the middle of the traffic or have run away after having broken someone's window with the ball.
    We were always in movement as we had worn quicksilver on.
    Nowadays I always get groups of youths lying on the steps of whatever building or wandering in the streets, holding a bottle of beer in one hand, and a brightly smartphone in the other.
    Once I saw a boy taking his exercise-hour outside a school, with his smartphone always attached as an appendix.
    I think that your metabolism has to be taught during the earlier years of your life, by regularly taking aerobic exercise.
    If you do that, it will remember how to behave during your older years.
    If you don't do that, it will " think " you're a pig instead, having to be force-fed, and will take your sugar back from vital energy, to put it into softly fat handles.
    Kids (and adults) spend to much time staring into the screen of their mobile or computers @filauzio. Back in the Dark Ages when I was a kid, only the TV had that sort of pull, but with only three or four TV channels.
    Yes, we all are now multitasking, @mheredge; when in your car, you can keep watching your film, answering a telephone call, taking a look at your email, even driving it.
    I hope your metabolism wouldn't become multitasking as well. It might assimilate your calories while lazily looking up at its social media' s community.
    Horrors! I would hope I wouldn't be watching a movie, answering the phone or looking at my email while driving @filauzio. These are precisely the things the traffic cops should be trying to stamp out.

I think our digestive systems are very bad at multitasking. In fact if you get too distracted from eating (because you're watching a movie, answering the phone and reading your emails all at once), then this is a recipe for indigestion.
    edited February 2015
    Yes, @mheredge, " horrors " is the comment I also would have used for this kind of habit. When I got my driving license, I was taught to keep both my hands on the wheel, keep my safety belt well fastened and not to be distracted from whatever.
    Now it seems that the act of driving is the last thing you have to take care of.
    However, I think that your digestive system, when it comes to certain situations, is actually multitasking.
    For example when you're allowed to have a break from work. You're not completely relaxed and free of thoughts; furthermore you have to listen to your colleagues' speech and jokes, and to take a look at the clock.
    You have a real choice to get indigestion, no matter what you're eating.
    I think this is a problem, I mean if you're supposed to fill your hole in the stomach, and it isn't a simple coffee break.
    How long should it last ? I think this is an interesting topic.
    If it was just a few grasshoppers, maybe...

-----------------------

Yes, Marianne, " horrors " is the word I would have used for this kind of habit. When I got my driving license, I was taught to keep both hands on the wheel, keep my safety belt well fastened and not to be distracted by anything. Now it seems that the act of driving is the last thing you have to take care of. However, I think that in certain situations, your digestive system is actually multitasking.

For example; when you're allowed to have a break from work, you're not completely relaxed and free of thoughts; furthermore you have to listen to your colleagues' speech and jokes, and to take a look at the clock from time to time. You run a real risk of getting indigestion, no matter what you're eating.

I think this is a problem, I mean if you're supposed to fill the hole in your stomach, and it isn't a simple coffee break. How long should it last?

I think this is an interesting topic.

If it was just a few grasshoppers, maybe...
    Post edited by Lynne on
    Snacking on fried on grasshoppers could well be very healthy @filauzio. If you're eating healthy snacks, it is said that eating smaller meals and more often is much more healthy for you. But getting away for all the distractions and really taking a break while you eat is sooooo important @filauzio. If you're grabbing a quick sarnie between rushing from one thing to another or eating at your desk while you carry on working is definitely NOT good.