Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is one to say about June? The time of perfect young summer, the fulfilment of the promise of the earlier months, and with as yet no sign to remind one that its fresh young beauty will ever fade.

Gertrude Jekyll
A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Comfort soups

mheredgemheredge WordsmithHere and therePosts: 25,691 mod
With the cold winter days, comfort food comes into its own. In particular soup is the classic cold weather comforter, whether you look on it as "nostalgia in a bowl or magic medicine".

Three chefs describe their favourites: chicken, miso and daal soups.

What is your favourite soup? What other favourite winter comfort foods do you like?

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/jan/01/comfort-soups-nostalgia-in-bowl-magic-medicine?CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2

Comments

• HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 6,009 mod
    @Hi Marianne, great topic you have released, thank you for that.

When I am ill I like soups but the best of all are chicken and beef soup. You don`t have to chew and it warms you inside and gives you a bit of power and a fullness which woun`t give you tee. I mean tee is also pretty good for some occacions but more nutrious is sipping soup.

I will have to search for the recept for the two mentioned soups.
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 25,691 mod
    I love chicken soup @Hermine. I had a Tibetan chicken thendruk soup over the weekend. This also has flat pasta and vegetables in it. It was perfect for a miserable, cold rainy day.
    edited January 2015
    Supermarkets offer plenty of different kinds of sachet soups. The content of a sachet feeds two person, far too less for my housheld of five.
    I am often not sure is there a real chicken soup or beef soup in it, or just a soup cube.
    Thank you @lichaamstaal‌ I know this kind of soup and I like it too.
    Soon I will cook this soup. Thanks for remembering me.
  • aryarchiaryarchi Posts: 864 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2015
    I prefer to have noodles,soup and beets

-----------------

I prefer to have noodles, soup and beets.
    Post edited by Lynne on
    I had some good chicken and leek packet soup the other day @Lynne. But home-made is so much nicer.
    ..and they are prepared so fast.
    The photos on the packet soups are so good that even I often tempted to buy some.
    I know @Hermine, but the pictures are always better than the real thing. I do fancy some soup tonight but I'm just too lazy to climb down all those stairs to go to the shop, as there's no electricity until 8pm and I've living on the 10th floor.
    edited February 2015
    Just before I had a bowl of warm soup. Everytime I am out in the cold I need something warm or hot. This time we had a left over and I was great just to heat it up. I would say faster than a soup from a packet. I topped it with a few slices of cheese, oh, it was delicious.
    I made some thick vegetable soup the other day, and had enough to also freeze a couple of portions @Hermine. I've just taken it out of the freezer to thaw and I'll have it for lunch. As I'll have electricity for the next four hours, I'll even be able to make some toast to go with it!
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,007 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @mikus91 so where are you from?
    I only knew the recipe of chicken corn soup that I use to make some times. Actually, soup is not very trendy in our country and it is taken as a season meal especially for winter. So, they don't make it at home but go to restaurants or soup stalls.
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,179 mod
    edited March 2015
    @mikus91 - We call it Polenta in the UK. :smile:

I've never put courgettes (BrE) in a soup.

Soup is kind of seasonal in the UK too @Bubbli. In the summer some people like to eat gazpacho, but I've never liked the idea of cold soup.
  • [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    My fvt soup is hot n sour soup ;) ..and i mostly take it during breakfast in winter.
    Its really healthy n delicious.... I enjoy winter with different variety of soups like; chicken corn soup‚ creamy prawns soup‚ hot n sour‚ tomato soup with ginger‚ vegetables soup with green chilli.....
  • gllgll Posts: 91 ✭✭
    Tomatos soup with small and long slice of yellow cheese is my best soup. It tastes so good and keeps you from get cold. So ı prefer to drink it regularly :)
  • SairaSaira Posts: 842 ✭✭✭
    My favorite soups are many,thai soup,chicken corn soup,hot and sour soup,chicken prawn and mushroom soup and red lentel soup.
    Mmmm @mikus91, pumpkin soup is one of my favourites. And so easy to make too. Do you have the recipe for the leek and zucchini soup? This sounds good too.
    I like the Chinese noodle soups, with vegetables and noodles and maybe fish or meat.
  • SairaSaira Posts: 842 ✭✭✭
    Soups are my favorite,lentil or vegetables or chicken or prawns etc. :)
  • kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,606 mod
    I love porridge and cream and mushroom soups for my comfort foods. ;)
  • EulaYoungEulaYoung Posts: 11 ✭✭
    Hot chicken soup with pepper
  • kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,606 mod

Hot chicken soup with pepper

I like it when it's cold weather. :)
  • nain_khan1nain_khan1 Posts: 161 ✭✭
    my favourite winter comfort is chicken corn soup and hot n spicy chines dishes like chicken minchoryian.