Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

London street food

mheredgemheredge WordsmithHere and therePosts: 24,052 mod
It's not just fish and chips, but nowadays there's a lot more to food eaten by Londoners than you'd think. As well as your good old pork pies, London's cosmopolitan vendors are serving up a whole range of food from around the world.

http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2012/apr/24/top-10-london-street-food-stalls
Tagged:

Comments

• aryarchiaryarchi Posts: 862 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2015
    For my money,food industry is strong enough to attract many people,Its not important how many restaurant or fast food is existing in a place,they all can have their own customers,when one is feeling hungry thats inevitable not to refer them.
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 24,052 mod
    There are some very good Middle Eastern restaurants in London. There's even one in Kathmandu.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 3,868 mod
    I think in the past, a lot of the food that you would have found on the streets of London was very simple, but now you can get almost anything. One of the beautiful things about the people in London is that they are so multi-cultural, meaning that you can enjoy food that is influenced from all over the planet. You get to see a lot of things here that you couldn't see anywhere else in the country, so you should always make the most of it while you're there.
    Brick Lane is one of the best places for exotic and multicultural cuisines @GemmaRowlands. Where in the UK are you living? Anywhere near London? Borough Market near London Bridge is another good place for food from around the world.
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 9,765 mod
    Can we say that all these Street food are fast food?
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 29,808 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks yummy! There are many food streets in Lahore and Karachi where people can get some traditional dishes. So, this reminds of Lahore when I went there last year to visit my sister and she took me in the food street where there were traditional furniture, traditional background music and overall atmosphere was quite original. :) I ate a traditional spicy fish, Chicken curry, and Biryani. Really mouth watering things.
  • NoeTresNoeTres Posts: 36 ✭✭
    I have never been to london yet. But I have noticed that in multicultural countries (high rates of immigration) like U.K; U.S. or Australia, the variety of food is increasing quickly and this is great !! Nowadays you can enjoy tipical dishes from Taiwan, Greece, Brazil and Mexican Coucines in the same city. :)
  • dujiannantoridujiannantori Posts: 486 ✭✭✭
    @NoeTres I think that's because of all the food programs and food competitons like master chef, top chef and so on. It brings a sort of global food movement. It's good for the economy, creat more job oppertunities.
  • NoeTresNoeTres Posts: 36 ✭✭
    You are right @dujiannantori The TV and Internet have been doing a lot. Nowadays socialmedia show us a little window to the world. :)
  • SairaSaira Posts: 566 ✭✭✭
    Because of multicultural everything is available here in restaurants .In center of London you can enjoy Chinese food in China town and Arabic food in edgewere road and Indian and Pakistani food in south hall or Ilford every where are restaurants.I saw lots of Turkish take away pizza shops every where.
    Kebabs have become very popular as street food in Asia. I remember sometimes getting a good kebab from a van parked just outside Hertford railway station when I was coming home late from London.
  • SairaSaira Posts: 566 ✭✭✭
    Ya we can find these things every where now.I like Turkish lamb sheesh kebab it's really really tasty
  • matt_matt_ Posts: 12 ✭✭
    I've been living close to London for few months and I love Brick lane, it offers a large number of different type of street food. I enjoy eating in Brick lane especially in the summer, it's amazing, it's one of the most multicultural vibe you can experience in the UK.
  • mariazapmariazap Posts: 21 ✭✭
    @mheredge for few months you can also find fresh pasta hand made in Camden. sorry but i am always looking for italian food
    Brick Lane has a really cool street food complex if I remember correctly @matt_. Borough Market near London Bridge on a Friday and Saturday is worth checking out too. As well as great market produce, there are a lot of food stalls that are very good.