Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In lands I never saw -- they say
Immortal Alps look down --
Whose bonnets touch the firmament --
Whose sandals touch the town --

Meek at whose everlasting feet
A myriad daisy play --
Which, Sir, are you and which am I
Upon an August day?

Emily Dickinson
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Hangover cures

mheredgemheredge TeacherHere and therePosts: 26,514 mod
Ant tea and pickle juice are among the suggestions made in this article for curing a hangover. As you can imagine, the Russians are champions when it comes to cures that include drinking the brine out of a jar of pickled gherkins.

The article looks at remedies from around the world.

Do you have any home remedies for after you've had a bit too much to drink?

http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2014/dec/26/hangover-cures-around-world-new-year-remedies?CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2

Comments

• FrankFrank Moderator Posts: 5,816 mod
    edited January 2015
    Some people think that 'the hair of the dog' is the best cure for a hangover. With this English expression they mean to say that you have to take the same alcoholic drink as the night before. This can surely be an effective remedy, and if this is your best solution it offers you a well-nigh guaranty that you obtain Korsakov in the end. A better remedy has to do with repletion of deficits. Alcohol diminishes your vitamin B level. Taking alcohol you also lose a lot of water. So taking extra vitamin B and drinking enough water might help against a hangover. Don't wait until you get the hangover, but take it just after you took your drinks to avoid getting it.

This reminds me of the joke about this.

A man goes to the doctor and asks what he can do against a hangover.
    The doctor answers: 'You'd better drink a lot of water'.
    'That's marvellous' the man replies, 'Should I take it before of after the alcohol'?
    'Not before or after...', the doctor answers, '...but in stead of'.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 26,514 mod
    Hahaha @lichaamstaal‌. This goes back to what I said about water being able to make me tipsy under the right circumstances.

A friend of mine used to swear by drinking loads of orange or any other fruit juice before going to sleep, which I suppose has the same effect as drinking lots of water.
    Drinking loads of orange or any other fruit juice might have another effect on your bowels than water @mheredge.
    Well @lichaamstaal‌, maybe this could be followed by a few hard boiled eggs. They make you constipated don't they?
    Maybe you should start with those hard boiled eggs @mheredge. If you are constipated you might have less appetite to drink a lot.
  • aryarchiaryarchi Posts: 864 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2015
    I think every country or better to say every regions also in a country have its own remedies and solutions against hangover.
    Here we use to drink salty water in order to get better.
    and also weve been suggested to have a piece of butter to avoid bringing up.
    Ugh, salt water @aryarchi‌, and butter! The thought makes my stomach heave.
    edited January 2015
    im not meaning to have mixture of salty water and butter,you should have butter just an hour before u drink,and if u didnt feel well after drinking you can have salt mixed in water.there is no neccesity in it.

------------------

I didn't mean you should drink a mixture of salty water and butter; you should have butter just an hour before you drink the salty water, and if you don't feel well after drinking, you can have salt mixed in water. There is no necessity to do both.
    Post edited by Lynne on
    Have you ever tried it @aryarchi‌? Far better not to get drunk at all and then there's no need to punish oneself with any of these horrible remedies.
    mheredge,I was drunk while posting comment here yesterday,just take it easy,thats not as horrible as you think.
    Be careful @aryarchi. I read this terrible story of people who died from the beer they'd been drinking:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jan/12/contaminated-beer-at-funeral-kills-56-in-mozambique?CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2
    Ahh @mheredge I'm really shocked by the news, but we prepare fresh grapes in order to make wine. it's 100% pure and natural.
    I've tried some very nice fruit wines @aryarchi, but they tend to be stronger and sweeter than wine made from grapes. I prefer wine made from grapes and for white wine, my preferred grape is one called Chardonnay, which is also the one used to make Champagne and Chablis, wine that comes from a north-central area of France.
  • kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,621 mod
    When I'm in a hangover or stressed, I drink avocado shake. ;)
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,393 mod
    We discussed this in a Thursday Kitely session.
  • JapAus888JapAus888 Posts: 15 ✭✭
    Haven't tried before, but a friend of mine swore by a glass of mug with one fresh egg mixed in it. Raw.
  • ZomZom Shadok Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @JapAus888 - Yuck!

Will you try it in the future?
    It befits a man to be merry and glad
    Until the day of his death.