Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Luck

LynneLynne Your TeacherHomePosts: 8,488 mod
edited January 2015 in Myths and Legends
What do you think will bring you luck in 2015?

In most parts of the UK black cats are considered lucky.

In Germany, around New Year, everyone buys lucky marzipan shamrocks, pink piggies and chimney sweeps.
Post edited by Lynne on

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 23,489 mod
    I need to make sure of spoiling the little black cat that lives here then @Lynne. Maybe, touch wood, he'll bring me luck.
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 9,645 mod
    Actually, I've never thought to find something that bring me luck.
    I'm content with what I have, I guess.
    We always say " shatters bring luck" when we drop and smash a glas for example.
    That's what Greeks do while they dance the Sirtaki, right?
    They smash plates and quite a lot!
    Does this tradition bring them luck?
    But broken mirrors are a sign of bad luck aren't they @april? I think to a large extent, we create luck for ourselves.
  • BubblyBubbly Posts: 29,659 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    For me, my luck is my faith...the stronger it is the more I get!
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 8,488 mod
    Chimney sweeps are considered lucky in the UK and Germany. Even though many houses have central heating nowadays, the romance of an open fire hasn't died, and chimney sweeps are sometimes invited to weddings to kiss the bride.

• aryarchiaryarchi Posts: 862 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2015
    @bubbli , There's no special thing bringing luck for me too.
    I think myself lucky when I see a black cat, but only because I find that they are such beautiful animals.
    @aryarchi find out dear... may be its inside you!
    @mheredge, It's a little odd, are you sure that you feel lucky seeing a black cat?
    @bubbli , I don't think so , I can't find anything. :(
    For me, black cats have always made me feel fortunate @aryarchi. Maybe it is only because I find they are such lovely animals (though I like all cats). Or maybe it's just to do with the fact that as a child we liked to have a black cat as a pet. Interestingly, some cultures regard them as symbols of bad luck, while some see them as lucky.
    @mheredge , even if it is a lovely black cat, I remember misfortune while imaging it.
    @mheredge quite different experience with black cats..which culture see it as lucky? I never heard!
    @mheredge very deep research, infact!:) Thank you for sharing!
    :)
  • FrankFrank Moderator Posts: 4,950 mod
    Lynne said:

In most parts of the UK black cats are considered lucky.

This sounds special to me @Lynne. Superstitious people in Holland taught me that when a black cat crosses your path, it will bring bad luck. I thought this might be an alternative view of the people in my country alone, so I've been searching for the English version of the story and I found this:

A black cat crossing your path is considered by many to be an omen of doom; not only is it bad luck, it is VERY bad luck. From there the superstition goes as far as belief that the black cat is a demon in disguise trying to cut off a person’s access to heaven. It is said that cats- and black cats in particular- act as “familiars” to witches, creatures that are imbibed with an evil, otherworldly sentience that give power to their master.

You can learn more about this here:
    http://www.timelessmyths.co.uk/a-black-cat-crossing-your-path.html

You can also look at it at another way:
    Wow! What a beautiful cat. I really want it to cross my path.
  • SairaSaira Posts: 566 ✭✭✭
    I don't believe in luck only hard work gives you success but black cats are beautiful .
    When I see a black cat, whether or not it crosses my path, I consider myself very lucky.
    I believe in it. :)

Maybe sometime luck works.
    But when it comes to betting on a horse to win, I think I jinx the poor animal as I'm never lucky.
    Some time I believe in luck,the only good luck may great men ever had was being born with the ability and determination to over come bad luck.
  • deedee Posts: 83 ✭✭
    @Saira,and @mheredge ,I have very strong believe on luck,I saw often these things happen with us and others.
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 8,488 mod
    Any examples of blind luck @dee? What was your luckiest moment?
    @Lynne,I often won the lottery. :) Once I won a small car. :)
    Wow @dee. What did you do with it?
    @mheredge ,I got the car and drove it home. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭✭
    Clovers occasionally have four leaflets, instead of the usual three. These four-leaf clovers, like other rarities, are considered lucky. Clovers can also have five, six, or more leaflets, but these are rarer.
    A common idiom is "to be (or to live) in clover", meaning to live a carefree life of ease, comfort, or prosperity. This originally referred to the fact that clover is fattening to cattle.