Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beautiful December

Now, when the garden awaits the return of spring
Now, when the silence is deep and blue
Now, when the winter has cast her spell again
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Here, where the snow is as soft as a woolly lamb
Here, where the nightfall is deep and blue,
Here, where the stars are so bright, you reach for them
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Child, may you sleep in gentle peace tonight
Dream of songs that rise on silken wings!
When you wake, enchanted by the snowspun light
Sing the songs that came to you in dreams,
Your beautiful December dreams
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Shopping

mheredgemheredge TeacherHere and therePosts: 28,519 mod
How do you like to shop? Do you like to browse, taking your time or do you limit shopping to when you are desperate for something? Do you like to shop online? If so, how much of your shopping is done this way?

In the UK, Boxing Day sales have started early if you shop online. http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/dec/24/tablets-christmas-day-online-shopping-spree?CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2

Comments

• HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 6,744 mod
    I can affirm every kind of shopping you mentioned @Marianne, but do shop on the Internet comes last, because the cost of carriages are often more expensive than the product I order.
    Here an example once my daughter wantend a special kind of case for her phone and we paid (ordered from the Internet) € 1.-- for the product and @ 10.- for the carriage.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,519 mod
    edited January 2015
    Ouch, that makes it an expensive case. Amazon sometimes offer deals where if you buy books worth over a certain amount, then carriage is free @Hermine. Most online ordering is out of the question when I'm abroad, as rates are very expensive for international shipping. I'm not sure whether the Indian Amazon ships to Nepal, but then I'm not all that confident of getting anything sent to me there.
    Post edited by Lynne on
  • BadariahBadariah Posts: 35 ✭✭
    edited January 2015
    I have ordered hand blander online on 16 Disember 2014 and until today I still waiting for it. I hope that I will receive it tomorrow.

---------------------------

I ordered a handheld blender online on 16 December 2014, and I am still waiting for it. I hope that I will get it tomorrow.
    Post edited by Lynne on
    @Badariah‌ hi, what is a hand blander? Is it a hand cream?
    If you want to make an orange juice, you put the pieces of oranges into a glass than you use the hand blander to grind it. You can use the hand blander in the pot to smoothen the mushroom soup. This morning, my son called to the GDex, she said that I will receive it on Monday. I have to wait near 2 weeks to get a thing about 200 Km from my home.
    I have a hand blender too (with an e) @Badariah‌. They are really useful.
    Hi @Badariah‌, not it is everything clear, I know what you mean. Sorry but I thought it must be a hand cream.
    I never use a hand blender before but I saw it in the you tube. Tomorrow I will get it. I and my sons are excited to wait for tomorrow.
    @Badariah‌, I own myself one and I like to use it when I make soup.
    I use mine to make liver pate.
    edited January 2015
    The other day I used the wedged for mashing parcley, oil and salt. I keep them in some glasses.

--------------------

The other day I used the widget for blending parsley, oil and salt. I store the mixture in jars.
    Post edited by Lynne on
    The wedged @Hermine? Do you mean the hand blender?

Parsley, oil and salt - is this a salad dressing? What do you use it for @Hermine? It sounds good.
    widget = Thing = Hand blender
    You can use this product for everything. The oil keeps it good until ..... .
    I put it on salad, potatos....., just everyhing you would put parsley on.
    That's a very good idea @Hermine. I don't see parsley very often in Kathmandu, but this is a good way to keep it for much longer as in oil, it should last for ages.

@Marianne, when filled in the glas you should put at least one centemeter of additional oil.
    Fix the lid quite properly I can not guarantee how your cloth in your suitcase will like like?
    I think I'll have to wait till I get back to Kathmandu before I try making any @Hermine. I haven't seen any parsley in the market here in any case, only coriander.
    I like to buy parsley at the Metro `cash and carry`shop, because they sell it in quite huge bundle.
    Where I am in India @Hermine, vegetables aren't sold in supermarkets. In fact there are hardly any supermarkets within miles. Most of the vegetables here are sold by stallholders by the side of the road, though there are one or two greengrocer shops. Most vegetables are locally produced and seasonal. I expect there's more variety in the big cities and certainly in Kathmandu, they import a lot of produce from China and India.
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,647 mod
    @Badariah‌ - Did your blender arrive?

I use mine for soups and sauces. I only bought it last year, but it's indispensable now.
    We are getting lots of leaflets now where shops are offering winter sales. They have to get rid of all the stuff which wasn`t sold before Christmas.
    The sport shops had gread difficulties to bring the stuff on people, because it was long green outside and no-one thought on buying ski stuff and now the winter sales starts.
  • homahoma Posts: 2
    shopping is depends how we want to buy. but i prefer to shopping by going to different malls in our city. shopping online in some sites that have different offers i think that would be a great idea.
    @homa, do you get plenty of advert stuff in paper send home?
    Where are you from @homa‌? Are there many shopping malls in your city (Brits also call these shopping centres)?

I can't believe the amount of rubbish shoved through the letterbox in the UK @Hermine. Paper flyers advertising things are expensive to produce, so I think this is one reason this form of marketing isn't used in Nepal. Plus the fact that most people don't have mailboxes!
    I reckon the useless paper will fill your letterbox up to two third. Some paste a sticker on the letterbox - no adverts please - .
    A long time ago I told the postman that I do not need that stuff and I am free of those paper adverts.
    @ Lynne. I have received my hand blender.
    Yesterday and today I were busy shopping and prepare my youngest things to bring to his new school. He will stay at hostel. So, I were busy tag (his name) on the clothing (school's uniform).
  • ShafaqShafaq Posts: 1
    Shopping, here in Asia, is more of a sport. No matter what time of year it is, people really enjoy shopping....so do I. I mostly shop for books (fiction), cosmetics and clothes.
  • FrankFrank Moderator Posts: 6,153 mod
    edited January 2015
    I think there is a difference between shopping and buying. My wife likes to go shopping, but that doesn't mean she buys something. She just looks arround, compares things and tries diferent clothes on. Than she says she will look arround further and leaves the shop. At the end of the day it could be she didn't buy anything. As for online shopping I think you only can speak of shopping when you really buy something. When you just surf the web, looking arround for things, I don't think you'd say you are shopping.
    I hate shopping and usually buy things on impulse. Food shopping is a necessity but I invariably end up with far more than I really wanted. And book shops are the most dangerous places of all.
  • aryarchiaryarchi Posts: 864 ✭✭✭
    Ive only tried internet shopping once,and Im not satisfied with the product.
    I ordered a digital watch but a mechanical watch was posted instead.
    I use the internet a bit to shop but the last time I did, I was a bit disappointed too @aryarchi‌. The camera's viewfinder wasn't like I thought it would be and took a lot of getting used to. Next time I will make sure that I examine whatever I want to buy online in a shop first, before ordering online again.