Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beautiful December

Now, when the garden awaits the return of spring
Now, when the silence is deep and blue
Now, when the winter has cast her spell again
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Here, where the snow is as soft as a woolly lamb
Here, where the nightfall is deep and blue,
Here, where the stars are so bright, you reach for them
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Child, may you sleep in gentle peace tonight
Dream of songs that rise on silken wings!
When you wake, enchanted by the snowspun light
Sing the songs that came to you in dreams,
Your beautiful December dreams
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Libraries

mheredgemheredge TeacherHere and therePosts: 28,555 mod
Do people still use libraries? I remember as a kid, going to the town's public library was a highlight of the week. But do many people borrow books any more? Have libraries gone out of fashion?

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/dec/22/seven-things-miss-traditional-library

Comments

• aryarchiaryarchi Posts: 864 ✭✭✭
    I don't think you could find many people referring to library for reading books as before in the age of technology. there is a library near our house, most of readers use their laptop or tablets to read.
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 6,744 mod
    @aryarchi‌, what a pitty. I was also fond of reading from a tablet, but after some tries I came back to some hand-tight materials.
    Okay I admitt, if you are under way it is better to carry your laptop or something like that where you can read from.
    But you know @Hermine, Library is based on reading books, if no body care about it, we should look for a proper name instead of ''Library''
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 6,744 mod
    @aryarchi‌, any suggestions?
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,555 mod
    Do only younger people use the library near you @aryarchi? Do older people read using laptops too?
    Actually I haven't seen older people. they are all youngesters.
    Are they school students @aryarchi‌? In Britain, public libraries tend to be used more by older, retired people, house wives, unemployed people and anyone who don't have to be at work. In the afternoon, school students might use the library.
    @mheredge Unfortunately the average of readers in Iran is low, and I think it's decreasing spectacularly, by the way it's mostly consisted of young people rather than old people.
  • XanthippeXanthippe Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes I have to go abroad to get books I need. E.g. to Berlin. Our university library has been too poor for years to buy enough specialized books. As a result there are still huge gaps.
    I like Delhi airport for this reason, or better still any good bookshop in India @Xanthippe‌.
    @Xanthippe Have you really gone to Berlin to find books?!! I'm really shocked at it. Many times I've needed to find a book but I've never referred to any other places except our library in our university.
    Well, not only to Berlin. To Vienna, Muenster, Uppsala, Wolfenbuettel. :)
    :o
    I used to be so spoilt when I worked in the City as I was surrounded by bookshops. It was ruinous to the pocket of course and I had to get lots of bookshelves built in my living room.
    Electronic books are a better solution, aren't they? Above all it is easier to find everything, @mheredge. :)
    Yes @xanthipped, I'd prefer to have had different ways of learning, learn something by dropping a pill. a pill of English.
    @aryarchi Do you mean 'swallowing a pill'? :)

There is another good method: to put your books under your pillow and sleep on them. :)
    A Kindle is high on my list @Xanthippe‌ as I don't think reading from my tablet for long periods of time is a very good idea.

As reading for me is for pleasure, I wouldn't want to take it as a pill @aryarchi. I want to savour books.
    Thanks @xanthippe You were right, I should have used 'swallow a pill'.
    @mheredge , You don't want to commit 3 books to memory in a day?
    @mheredge I have a Kindle but I don't use it that much, which is not good. The reason is that I usually take notes by using my Google docs and you can't do it on Kindle (there is WiFi connection but it is very clumsy to use).

Well, a pill for some equations and quantities would be the thing for me, @aryarchi. And also for Arabic words.
    @xanthippe What's your native language? why you want to learn Arabic?
    @aryarchi I am Polish. I am interested in philosophy and I thought it would be nice to read some Arabic-speaking philosophers like Averroes ابن رشد. His texts had been translated into Latin but seriously distorted. The nature of these misunderstanding is very interesting.

Averroes Latinus (in German): http://www.thomasinstitut.uni-koeln.de/11610.html
    edited January 2015
    Why have they distorted it @xanthippe? Do they have problems with his Islamic beliefs or they have had other reasons for distorting it?
    @aryarchi I guess the main problem was language. :)

I have come across 'intentio':

"A brief note on this term is at place: In Arabic-Latin translation literature, intentio is very often used to render ma´nâ, with the consequence that the term intentio took on a similarly broad semantic range as its Arabic counterpart. In the writings of Avicenna, ma'nâ may mean “concept”, but also “meaning” of a word, or something “intelligible” by the intellect, or “perceptible” by estimation but not by the external senses (on estimation see section 5.1). In Averroes' epistemology, the term ma'nâ has a specific meaning as the object of memory and a broader meaning as the abstracted content of sensory, imaginative or intelligible forms (Black 1996, 166)."

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/arabic-islamic-influence/

Here you have some information:
    https://books.google.pl/books?id=WCdynzUJfVoC&pg=PA60&dq=averroes+translations+mistakes&hl=pl&sa=X&ei=qGC6VOieDsztUtq2gfgK&ved=0CDYQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=averroes translations mistakes&f=false
    @xanthippe I'm fed up with learning a new language, I'm not even eager to hear only a new world in a new language.
    I don't know how you'd like to learn it.
    Keeping my mind engaged will save me from dementia, I hope, @aryarchi. :) Besides, everything is upside down in Arabic from my point of view. E.g. polarity law. :) This is stimulating. :) :) :)
    @xanthippe So I wish you not to be confused. take care.
    Are you fed up with learning English @aryarchi? Surely not!

I find that the less I have to do, the more absent minded I become @Xanthippe‌. I'm a great believer in keeping the mind active.

I'm looking forward to browsing in the bookshop at Delhi airport tomorrow @Xanthippe‌.
    No, I am not fed up. Nor am I fed up with Arabic but it is much more difficult for me to fix Arabic words in memory. I think I will try a peg method.

Good luck with book hunting, @mheredge. :)
    @mheredge I'm fed up with learning my 4th language
    1-Persian 2-Turkish 3-English 4- :s
This discussion has been closed.