Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In lands I never saw -- they say
Immortal Alps look down --
Whose bonnets touch the firmament --
Whose sandals touch the town --

Meek at whose everlasting feet
A myriad daisy play --
Which, Sir, are you and which am I
Upon an August day?

Emily Dickinson
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

First Christmas in the UK

mheredgemheredge TeacherHere and therePosts: 26,427 mod
This article relates the stories of several new arrivals from around the world to the UK who are spending their first Christmas there.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/dec/20/-sp-my-first-christmas-in-the-uk?CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2

Comments

• aryarchiaryarchi Posts: 864 ✭✭✭
    Its sounds great!!celebrating Christmas in UK.But it has Its own difficulties as Indonesian woman interviewed in the newspaper.
    For those who have good life in their own countries I think thats a wrong decision.
    Still Im eager to study abroad,but I should work too much there in order to provide my expenditure.so there would be no time for me study.while in my country I can do it as well.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 26,427 mod
    I don't like how commercial Christmas has become, not just in the UK but in most rich countries. I'm glad to miss Christmas in the UK, but sorry about missing mince pies!
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,067 mod
    I think you're right that Christmas has become very commercial, but at the same time it is always completely up to you just how much you take in of that. If you decide with your family that you're not going to buy lots of presents and things like that, then you should just be able to enjoy the occasion because of the people who are around you, which is of course what it is about. An English Christmas can be wonderful, but you should always take from it what you want from it, not what you feel is being forced upon you.
    I confess that Christmas Day in Iran (Mashed) was perhaps the most un-Christmassy Christmas Day I ever spent.

@aryarchi are there any churches in Iran where Christmas is celebrated?
  • aryarchiaryarchi Posts: 864 ✭✭✭
    I don't know if any of them celebrate it or not, but there are some cities having lots of churches in it, specially in the west.
    There are one or two churches in Kathmandu, but over the other side of the city. Nepal is a Hindu country with some Buddhists, fewer Muslims and a few 'imported' Christians.
This discussion has been closed.