Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Have you ever been to England?

FrankFrank ModeratorPosts: 5,356 mod
edited December 2014 in Countries and Travel
Have you ever been to England or to another English speaking country?

This question is especially meant for New Members. If you are a beginner in English, you can give a short answer if you like. Try to make a complete sentence, not only answering yes or no.

If somebody else already gave the answer you had in mind, just answer the same thing. There isn't an answer right or wrong. It's all about learning English! Don't be afraid to make mistakes, you'll learn from them. Experienced members might look at your post and give you corrections on your grammar. This way, we all learn.

If you are a more experienced user of the English language, please tell us which places you've visited and what you have done there.

Comments

• I haven't been to England but it's my big dream to go there!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2014
    I've never been in England. I hope it will happen sometimes )))
  • fishmiconfishmicon Posts: 1
    edited December 2014
    I hope http://www.fifautc.co.uk it will happen sometimes
  • mahtabshamahtabsha Posts: 9
    no , I haven`t seen there but I hope to be there someday as a traveler
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    I visited my best friend in 2009. He lived in Slough by the time, so I could go to London and Oxford... And I enjoyed it so much :) London is a wonderful city; it's exciting how you can actually see what the English books' pictures show :) The Big Ben, Buckingham Palace, Notting Hill, Camden Town, the National Gallery... And Oxford is a tale's city to study; I think everyone could feel in the mood of studying there, at any time :)

I would like so much to return to wander in those beautiful places; moreover, I would like to go to other places in England, like Cambridge, Liverpool, Manchester...

Let's go to England!
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 24,052 mod
    Bonus correction @Learner‌:

I visited my best friend in 2009. He lived in Slough at the time, so I could go to London and Oxford. And I enjoyed it so much :) London is a wonderful city; it's exciting how you can actually see what the English books pictures show :) The Big Ben, Buckingham Palace, Notting Hill, Camden Town, the National Gallery. And Oxford is a fairy tale's city in which to study. I think everyone could feel in the mood of studying there, at any time :)

I would like so much to return to wander in those beautiful places. Moreover, I would like to go to other places in England, like Cambridge, Liverpool, Manchester...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    Thank you very much, @mheredge :) I take notes :)
  • JasserJasser Posts: 1
    I never have been in england ? I plane to visit it in 2015.
  • XanthippeXanthippe Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have never been to England. Shame on me. :) Or perhaps I have in a way. I landed in a roof (NOT on a roof) of a building in Second-Life London. :) Not surprisingly, nobody wanted to fly with me afterwards.
    But don't confuse England with Britain @Xanthippe‌. England is just a part of Great Britain. :-)
    Oh, of course, it is, @mheredge. It is just Polish way of thinking of you, deeply rooted in my mind. :)
    Or Lynne's bad influence on me. See: England prevails because I say it does. :) :) :)
    'England-prevails' video:
    Which movie is this @Xanthippe‌? V for Vendetta? It seems familiar (maybe I've seen it). Fancy having a nose like Big Ben!
    Yes, this is 'V for Vendetta'. :) I have switched to Wilde's 'An Ideal Husband.' :) Less swearing. ;)
    Apologies for cross-posting, but this is an interesting article about the experiences of several newcomers to the UK and their first Christmas there.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/dec/20/-sp-my-first-christmas-in-the-uk?CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2
  • Shayan_Shayan_ Posts: 12
    No I have not visited England..
    Brrrr It seems that temperatures are set to plunge to minus 1 degree tomorrow night in London.
  • FrankFrank Moderator Posts: 5,356 mod
    Are you hoping for a White Christmas this time @mheredge?
    The sun is shining and looks set to stay that way for a few days at least @lichaamstaal‌. I don't like snow much except to look a it from a distance.
    I think when people dream of a white Christmas actually they mean the outlook from a distance @mheredge. I suppose they don't mean they dream about muddling trough the sludgy snow.
  • I have never been there i wish i could one day
    And when it comes, in Britain at least @lichaamstaal‌, they are never prepared and everything goes to pieces.

• melva_vionamelva_viona Posts: 1
    No I haven't. but I hope someday I will able to go to there. I saw many picture of England and i like it. going to England is one of my dream, i wish it will happen someday, that's way i learn English.
    Has anyone been to England? Have you been there @lichaamstaal‌?

• prhubanrajprhubanraj Posts: 2
    no,i haven't went there
    Yes, I've been there twice @mheredge. But it's an awful time ago, so it's about time I go once again. However, up till now I haven't been able to convince my wife to go there. She doesn't like to go by boat, because she thinks she gets sick. We could go by plane, but I think the boat trip is part of the experience. Maybe I go with one or both of my boys ones.
    It's an easy run by ferry @lichaamstaal‌. But how about going by train via Brussels or Bruges? The Eurostar is pretty amazing and gets you straight into the centre of London.

Watch out for the budget airlines, as they usually land at the airports well out of London like Luton or Stansted. This then means an hour or so on a train to get into London and can be quite costly too. The budget airlines are not so cheap either, now that they charge extra for almost everything.

My most favourite way of travelling to the UK has to be by train. When I go to visit next year, I'm thinking that I'll fly to Paris and get the train from there to London after spending a few weeks in France.
    edited December 2014
    I like the ferry. I took the ferry from Hoek van Holland (Hook) both times overnight. I liked the atmosphere on the English boat. The moment you step on it, actually you have the feeling you are already in England. The first time I went to a friend who, at that time, worked in a hotel in Stratford upon Avon (Shakespeare's Birthplace). I stayed there for e couple of days. The second time I went to England I visited London with a girlfriend I had at that time.

I think I don't want to go by train. Brussels is not very near by. Besides that, the train doesn't give me the feeling I travel to an island I think.
  • No, I haven't but I wish I could go there one day.
    Well there is the Channel Tunnel but as you don't see the fish swimming outside the windows, I suppose it's not quite the same @lichaamstaal‌. I love sleeping on overnight ferries. That said, the last time I went from Holland to the UK I had left the door to a shared cabin unlocked as I was expecting other passengers (women), but had a drunk guy stumble in during the middle of the night who had lost his way!