Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer.

Helen Hunt Jackson - September
The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.

John Updike, September
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Which medieval monarch of England are you?

mheredgemheredge TeacherHere and therePosts: 27,105 mod
Which medieval English king might you have been? (I'm not sure I would have made a good medieval king, as they were a pretty bloodthirsty lot). Try this quiz for a giggle.

http://www.playbuzz.com/williamg11/which-medieval-monarch-of-england-are-you
Tagged:

Comments

• BobmendezBobmendez Posts: 392 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    King Edward I "the Longshanks"

the king
    Well, I have 185 cm in height, and I really hope that this is not the only thing that I have in common with the king.
    The questions are well drawn and non-obvious. Definitely, this is one of the most interesting quizzes that I have seen.
    P.S. Wise @mheredge knows where man's weak spots are ;) Every man thinks of power sometimes
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    I'd have been King Henry VI. It seems he was the most peacful king in English History.

I've enjoy it :) I've not read a lot about English History, and this quizz has woken my interest on it :)
  • luizgemailluizgemail Posts: 84 ✭✭
    I would have been King Henry II. It was a 'nice' guy :smile
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,061 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd have been King Henry V. But I don't know the history of this leader!:)
  • SairaSaira Posts: 846 ✭✭✭
    I would have been King Henry Vl
    Did England ever have a more holy or peaceful King Henry's forgiving and peaceful nature is a marvel.
  • RomanRoman Posts: 493 ✭✭✭
    You are King Edward I! While the movie Braveheart depicts the king as a cruel and vicious man, the truth is not as black and white. Edward's early life consisted of helping his father King Henry III, to fight against rebel barons and lords who wanted to make England into a more oligarchical government instead of a feudal one ruled by kings. And so early on Edward had to face those who wanted to kill or imprison him and his father. Yet the king who would one day unite a kingdom once again, fight Scots in the north, and French on the continent, would also learn to "love" as well. Edward loved his wife Eleanor of Castile, and with her he raised a family of many, many children. His appreciation of Parliament and the rule of law, has also inspired modern historians to look back favorably on Edward I. Indeed the tall king may have been rough when it came to his enemies, but he lived in rough times and so he did what he felt right for his throne, family, and people.
  • OlegOleg Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are King Henry II
    Henry was the maternal grandson of Henry I, and had to fight against his own cousins for the right to rule. Henry was known for his foul temper, though it has been theorized that his outbursts may have been just for political "display." After all a lot about medieval politics consisted in appearance and actions in court. Henry's court following was huge and he ruled England and a great part of France as an empire. King Henry was not the most popular of kings, and not many mourned his death. His legal reforms however led the way for kings like Edward I to establish Parliament down the line, and as such should not be forgotten. Henry was a king who understood the importance of appearance, duty, and law, and as such he was perhaps one of the most complicated monarchs to understand in English history. Historians to this day still wonder what the man was all really about.
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,489 mod
    @Monik - @Xanthippe - @science24 - @MedoPop - @srinij - @zakaria_dandouni1

After yesterday's G+ session, you should try this one.

@gomaa - I know you couldn't join us, but have a go anyway. :)
    I am King Henry VI!

Did England ever have a more holy or peaceful king? Even to this very day Henry's forgiving and peaceful nature is a marvel. While other medieval kings ordered the deaths of enemies swiftly, Henry never really fit that bill at all. If anything Henry was too merciful you could say. Though his half-brothers, uncles, and cousins were more than willing to fight and die on his behalf and for the House of Lancaster. Henry has been called "mad" by some historians but such headaches and sicknesses, were likely more so due to Henry's distaste for war, bloodshed, and really anything that he considered wrong or evil. Henry was likely one of the most gentle kings in all of English history.
  • KhaliedKhalied EgyptPosts: 2,224 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Lynne I feel shy about my result I'm not king .I'm queen

You are Queen Elizabeth I! She was the second female monarch in medieval England, and she was the daughter of King Henry VIII. The queen ruled long, and her reign saw the great defense against the King of Spain's Armada. Like her father she was a Protestant, and as such she tended to use her government to keep Catholics in line. She was also a pious queen though who saw herself as the defender of her people and kingdom, against outside imperial forces which looked to take England and everything that she held dear. For the first English queen to rule in her own right, she proved herself to be no pushover and no tyrant. Her reign saw the further evolution of "identity" amongst the English people. :D
  • KhaliedKhalied EgyptPosts: 2,224 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Lynne :D welcome to the king Henry I'm daughter your son
  • MedoPopMedoPop Posts: 43 ✭✭
    I M King Henry II
    Henry was the maternal grandson of Henry I, and had to fight against his own cousins for the right to rule. Henry was known for his foul temper, though it has been theorized that his outbursts may have been just for political "display." After all a lot about medieval politics consisted in appearance and actions in court. Henry's court following was huge and he ruled England and a great part of France as an empire. King Henry was not the most popular of kings, and not many mourned his death. His legal reforms however led the way for kings like Edward I to establish Parliament down the line, and as such should not be forgotten. Henry was a king who understood the importance of appearance, duty, and law, and as such he was perhaps one of the most complicated monarchs to understand in English history. Historians to this day still wonder what the man was all really about.
  • science24science24 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am King Edward IV!

The pride and symbolic "man of the hour" of the House of York was the young Duke of York! When Edward's father passed, the Duke's claim passed to his son. Edward himself was well versed in battle and strategy, and after taking London not once but twice in the War of the Roses, he reigned as King of England. Edward was tall, strong, and handsome, which were traits that are believed to have been passed onto his grandson the future Henry VIII. King Edward though made quite a few major mistakes that ultimately cost the kingdom lives and stability, at least in the eyes of historians like Charles Ross who wrote his biography. Edward married for love, embraced his wife's family with lands and titles, and loved food and wine. So you could certainly say that he was ahead of his time, or that he was just not a very good king. But Edward lived and loved perhaps more than most of the kings before or after him. And that certainly says something.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭
    You are King Henry II!
    Henry was the maternal grandson of Henry I, and had to fight against his own cousins for the right to rule. Henry was known for his foul temper, though it has been theorized that his outbursts may have been just for political "display." After all a lot about medieval politics consisted in appearance and actions in court. Henry's court following was huge and he ruled England and a great part of France as an empire. King Henry was not the most popular of kings, and not many mourned his death. His legal reforms however led the way for kings like Edward I to establish Parliament down the line, and as such should not be forgotten. Henry was a king who understood the importance of appearance, duty, and law.
  • XanthippeXanthippe Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Science24 I see we are similar:

You are King Edward IV! The pride and symbolic "man of the hour" of the House of York was the young Duke of York! When Edward's father passed, the Duke's claim passed to his son. Edward himself was well versed in battle and strategy, and after taking London not once but twice in the War of the Roses, he reigned as King of England. Edward was tall, strong, and handsome, which were traits that are believed to have been passed onto his grandson the future Henry VIII. King Edward though made quite a few major mistakes that ultimately cost the kingdom lives and stability, at least in the eyes of historians like Charles Ross who wrote his biography. Edward married for love, embraced his wife's family with lands and titles, and loved food and wine. So you could certainly say that he was ahead of his time, or that he was just not a very good king. But Edward lived and loved perhaps more than most of the kings before or after him. And that certainly says something.
  • science24science24 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see @Xanthippe
    Poor Edward, He must have a research interest somehow, or maybe he get his paper rejected ;)
    Science - just self publish. ;)
  • AbelardoAbelardo Posts: 80 ✭✭
    King Henry VI