Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The April rain, the April rain,
Comes slanting down in fitful showers,
Then from the furrow shoots the grain,
And banks are fledged with nestling flowers;
And in grey shawl and woodland bowers
The cuckoo through the April rain
Calls once again."

Mathilde Blind, April Rain
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Learning English whilst sleeping

FrankFrank ModeratorPosts: 5,641 mod
Have you ever dreamed of becoming rich while you sleep? Then the question is where to start with. However, maybe It’s possible to learn a language while you sleep. A study funded by the Swiss National Science Foundation (SNSF) has shown that it’s possible to learn new words by rehearsing them while you sleep. Maybe it’s a good idea for a new program provided by LEO @Lynn?.

http://www.snf.ch/en/researchinFocus/newsroom/Pages/news-140630-press-release-learn-dutch-in-sleep.aspx

Comments

• What about people who hate repeating the same litanies over and over again?
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 24,942 mod
    How are you supposed to programme what you're going to dream about @lichaamstaal‌? I though dreams were more a result of the subconscious.
  • FrankFrank Moderator Posts: 5,641 mod
    Surely you can influence your subconscious @mheredge. Think about children who should not watch scary movies because otherwise they will dream about it.
    edited December 2014
    About the people hate repeating the same litanies over and over again @Xeb. If they have to do it anyway, they should search for ways to make it easier for them. One way is to bring variation into the learning process. Instead of rehearsing the same lists over and over again, they could make flash cards with one word on each card. Now they can shuffle these cards and cast out the words they already know. Another way is to speak the words out loud and record it with the voice recorder on their telephone. Then they can listen to the words whilst doing other things at the same time, like taking a walk or sitting in the train. They could also make the list more visual e.g. by making a drawing to depict the meaning of the words. And if the learning by sleeping helps, they could do that also. I think the strength is hidden in the variation. Not learning by just one way, but alternating the different methods.
    edited December 2014
    I think the study about learning whilst sleeping is interesting. On the other hand we should ask ourselves if this a proper thing to do every time you have to learn something. Isn’t sleep meant to give your brain a rest period from the daily grind? Aren’t dreams meant to be a way to process the information you gathered through the day? I don’t know what the effect will be if we feed our brain with all kinds of information during the time we should be sleeping and dreaming. What do you think?
    edited December 2014
    I plastered bits of card with Nepali words all over my kitchen when I was trying to learn Nepali. It worked after a fashion. You reminded me of this @lichaamstaal‌, so perhaps I should now try it with Hindi words.
    Good idea @mheredge. You can also put Hindi words on post-its and stick them everywhere at places where you regularly are, like the toilet and the kitchen.
  • Is it really helpful learning individual words? When I used to do that I often didn't know how to use the new vocab correctly in a sentence, I mean in the right context. It always sounded unnatural, unlike a native would say the same thing.
    For learning basics @Xeb, like numbers (unfortunately in Nepali and Hindi they aren't so easy), I found it quite useful. But you're right, for more advanced language, I'm not sure if it's much help.

I have a mental block for the word 'toilet' in Hindi, so good idea @lichaamstaal‌. I just need to put a sign up in Hindi.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,494
    edited December 2014
    When I have a mental block with a word or expression, I search for other words related to it that make me laugh. Do you know how to say, bum, farting, poo, pee in Hindi. Looking or asking for them may help to memorise the word 'toilet'.
    :D What an excellent idea @Xeb!
  • Will you keep us posted when you've got the Hindi version of these words? Also about how you asked for them? Kids are best for this kind of information.
    So far I've been too embarrassed to ask, but I will ask a Tibetan friend as I'm sure she'll know, or her teenage daughter will @Xeb. I was being asked by some Tibetan students about how rude are the words 'shit' and 'bullshit' yesterday, but these words are pretty tame.
    edited December 2014
    Maybe you don't have to ask @mheredge. According to a well known and valuable source, this words must be: शौचालय, नितंब, गोज़, पू, and पेशाब I''m just not completely sure how to pronounce it.
  • XanthippeXanthippe Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am just learning Arabic numerals. I need such help. :) :) :)
  • hahaha Marianne, I now use the word bulldust depending of the audience around.
    The Hindi word for toilet sounds like: sauchalay @mheredge.
    That's right @lichaamstaal‌, but somehow I cannot get it to stick in my brain. In Nepali it's 'charpy' (or sounds like). But everyone in India and Nepal understand 'toilet', so I could be lazy and just use the English word.
    edited December 2014
    That's a disadvantage of knowing to speak English @mheredge. In Holland almost everyone can speak English. When a foreigner gets in contact with Dutch people, the latters immediately start speaking English to them, even if they understand some Dutch. If you live in Holland, as a foreigner, and you don't speak English, this is actually an advantage if you want to learn Dutch. An English speaker hardly gets the opportunity to practice. Maybe the same counts for you when learning Hindi.
    I've heard from foreigners who have worked in The Netherlands @lichaamstaal‌, that they found it all but impossible to learn Dutch. No one would ever give them a chance to practice, always speaking in English.

Certainly this is the problem in Nepal, especially in Kathmandu. The only people I ever get a chance to speak with in Nepali there are the bus drivers and conductors who usually don't speak any English.
  • aryarchiaryarchi Posts: 862 ✭✭✭
    @mheredge Why is it hard for English speakers to learn Dutch?They don't intend to speak Dutch with English speaking foreigners?
  • aryarchiaryarchi Posts: 862 ✭✭✭
    I always try to remind what I've committed to memory when I'm lying down in my bed.If I don't remember it properly I'd turn on the light and check it once again.
    aryarchi said:

I always try to remind what I've committed to memory when I'm lying down in my bed.If I don't remember it properly I'd turn on the light and check it once again.

How can you remind what you didn't remember to commit to your memory @aryarchi?
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 29,886 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    who is dream interpreter here?
    I have worked out that sometimes elements of films or TV programmes sneak into my dreams @bubbli . Last night I was dreaming that I was in a big stately home. Since this couldn't be farther from reality here in Kathmandu, I can only think that the episode of Foyle's War that I saw just before sleeping must have had some influence.

The British woman I met who told me how hard it was to learn Dutch when she was working in The Netherlands said that she could never find a Dutch person who didn't speak good English or who didn't want to practice their English speaking in English to her @aryarchi . She said that she never could speak in Dutch as people only would answer in English.

I have put Hindi on the shelf and I'm reopening my Nepali language book.
    @mheredge TV programs sneak into your day dreams ...I think:) but I think you have a serious issue either with the drama producer or director. May be you discuss different ideas with them and they take them as their own! or May be there is someone spying on you and take the core idea of your day dreams...I mean dreams to the director or producer just for the sake of money!...:)
    No, I never tend to think about them in the day, it's only the subconscious that sometimes gets a mind of its own @bubbli. But this could be because I'm too busy in the daytime and at night....
    @mheredge so tell me about one of your dreams that still brings smile on your face, when you recall! I won't talk about nightmares. They shouldn't be recalled!
    I don't know, most of my dreams are quite disjointed @bubbli, more like scenes than complete stories. The one I like best is when I was flying through the air, looking down at a beautiful almost cartoon landscape. I was flying like I was swimming through water, using breaststroke!
    @mheredge thats so different! but I think most of the time dreams are symbolic in nature! I have one dream a bit similar to yours. I have seen ladder of clouds where I am climbing up and disappear somewhere in the sky!