Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In lands I never saw -- they say
Immortal Alps look down --
Whose bonnets touch the firmament --
Whose sandals touch the town --

Meek at whose everlasting feet
A myriad daisy play --
Which, Sir, are you and which am I
Upon an August day?

Emily Dickinson
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Can you guess people's nationalities by their faces?

mheredgemheredge TeacherHere and therePosts: 26,427 mod
Obviously it's not as easy as that, but the twenty faces here are generally fairly 'typical' of what we think of people from these countries.

http://www.playbuzz.com/ericbh10/can-you-guess-these-peoples-nationality-by-their-faces
Tagged:

Comments

• XanthippeXanthippe Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought that the Polish girl is Danish. :) :) :) Well...

I got only 10. He he.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 26,427 mod
    I got 14 but kicked myself for not going for the obvious for the ones I got wrong.
  • swatiswati Posts: 46 ✭✭
    well,it is something unimaginable to guess someone's nationality by their faces yet we can try to guess by their lifestyle and their languages what they speak depending on their command... :smile:
  • aryarchiaryarchi Posts: 864 ✭✭✭
    I got 13,I'm not good at it, I can only distinguish people by continents.
    Body language is another give-away @swati. People move in different ways.
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,383 mod
    I got 14 too. Tough quiz!
  • QandeelrashiqueQandeelrashique Posts: 53 ✭✭
    I got 14 too.
  • DoraDora Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭✭
    I got 18/23. At some point, I can't distinguish between different people, like, I made the Ukrainian woman, a Norwegian. He he ...
  • FrankFrank Moderator Posts: 5,805 mod
    edited January 2015
    I got only 12. I thought I would do better than that. Maybe if I could have seen them comunicating, I would have done better.
  • luizgemailluizgemail Posts: 84 ✭✭
    I got 8! Too difficult for me. :smile:
    I think sometimes European faces can be harder to differentiate.
  • [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    I got 13
  • JandarkJandark Posts: 65 ✭✭
    Hello ,it was difficult to guess .What was funny I could put correctly the nationalities by faces who live close to my country .
  • chyijungchyijung Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭✭
    I got only 8, tough game.
  • [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 0 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got 10. I confused Chinese, Japanese and Korean. They all look same to me.
    Very tough! I even thought for a while for guessing a women as Pakistani. :O
    what a shame!!
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,050 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    15 right guesses. I always think white people are British. I don't know why. :)
  • annfannf Posts: 17 ✭✭
    16 , but it wasnt easy , I have luck
    Hahaha @Bubbly! I'm not sure if Brits travel as much as they used to. Invariably when I see white faces abroad, they're German or Dutch! But I'm sure that this must depend where in the world you go.
    @mheredge just a common perception like people here who have fair complexion are considered either pathan or kashmiries.
  • mdsolimanmdsoliman Posts: 11 ✭✭
    13 right!
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,116 mod
    edited October 2015
    I've got 15!!

Congratulations! You got:
    15Right!

I think some pictures are not really correct, for example the French guy; does he look like François Hollande, @Xanthippe ? :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭
    10 points
    I can usually spot a Brit a mile off, and French people too. But I wonder if this is more to do with familiarity more than anything @april.
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,116 mod
    edited November 2015
    Only by watching their face? No, I don't think I can guess people's nationality only by watching their face.
    German or Polish, Indian or Pakistani, Japanese or Korean?
    They look almost the same to me.
  • zakaria_dandouni1zakaria_dandouni1 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭✭
    No I can't, it's not easy
    It's not an exact science @april but there are certain typical characteristics that can help. Many people, like me, are a mixture of more than one nationality, so this then makes it very difficult just by looking at the person.

One time I met a group of Tibetan students who had been born or brought up in the USA. They looked Tibetan but in everything else, they were much more American: body language, dress, accents and so on.
  • KhaliedKhalied EgyptPosts: 2,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not good I got12I need to study a gain.
  • OksNikOksNik Posts: 95 ✭✭
    Wow. So interesting. 15 from 23. I was surprised. I've selected all correct answers when it was light color of the skin. The darker the skin, the harder I guess.
    I need to know more non-white people. I think that this forum is right place for it. :)
    @OksNik It's not about skin colour. We believe in souls. Reference to this quiz, I think we have certain perceptions associated with the skin colours.
    Like @Bubbly says, it have very little to do with skin colour @OksNik. I never cease to amaze how many of my Nepalese friends consider themselves to be 'black' when in fact my skin is the same or even slightly more brown coloured now. When I point out that I'm not black, but my skin is the same colour, they look very sheepish. (btw, my skin is northern European white, but being in Asia it goes a light tan colour).