Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"March is a month of considerable frustration - it is so near spring and yet across a great deal of the country the weather is still so violent and changeable that outdoor activity seems light years away."
Thalassa Cruso
Please note: The MARS / WARS and FADS sessions are back on Skype for another week, but a couple of Lynne's sessions have been cancelled. Check the calendar for dates and times.
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Rise vs raise

LynneLynne Your TeacherHomePosts: 8,830 mod
edited December 2014 in A Question of English

Comments

• HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 5,908 mod
    I came up with the words `rise and raise`.
    I should use `raise` when something raises something and I should use `rise`when something rises.

The Tower Bridge get raised by a strong engiene and the sealevel rises, but who on earth raises children? Do I have to pull their hair for raising them? I would rather prefer to use `rise`because no-one pulls but it is wrong.

Any idea how I to Keep that in my brain.
  • BobmendezBobmendez Posts: 392 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    These are very interesting couple of verbs, @Hermine. As I have just found out due to your comment, 'raise' must have an object. Children are objects in this case in order that we raise them by feeding, taking care, etc. People raise crops and no one pulls them as well.

And that's all what I could come up with :)
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 24,574 mod
    Children might rise up to rebel against their parents @Hermine. The sun rises in the east. Your children may rise above others at school if they work hard.
  • DoraDora Teacher's Pet Posts: 3,068 mod
    I usually avoid those confusing mistakes but I was made confused by my teacher. Does it make a sense @Lynne?
    His temperature rises up due to cold.
    I raised my hand up.
  • aryarchiaryarchi Posts: 862 ✭✭✭
    10 students participated in class last week, we have 5 other students joining them this week.
    The amount of students rose to 15.
    There is a raise of 50% in the amount of participants.
    Am I right?
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 24,574 mod
    edited January 2015
    It would be better to say 'There was an increase of 50% in the number of '@aryarchi. Rise in the number of participants would be okay though.
  • aryarchiaryarchi Posts: 862 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2015
    The number of students rocketed to 15 in this week. @mheredge?
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 8,830 mod
    edited January 2015
    @Dora‌ - You don't need "up" in either.

His temperature keeps rising.
    I raised my hand.

-------------------

The interest rate has been raised up to 13 %.

• MOHSENMOHSEN Posts: 114 ✭✭
    Population growth and sea-level rise will heighten the risk in this area.
This discussion has been closed.