Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The April rain, the April rain,
Comes slanting down in fitful showers,
Then from the furrow shoots the grain,
And banks are fledged with nestling flowers;
And in grey shawl and woodland bowers
The cuckoo through the April rain
Calls once again."

Mathilde Blind, April Rain
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Whose umbrellas are we talking about?

FrankFrank ModeratorPosts: 5,641 mod
edited December 2014 in Humour

Before the evening party

She: ‘Why do you take away the umbrellas from the hall?
Are you afraid our guests will steal them?’
He: 'No, but they might recognise them'.
Post edited by Lynne on

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 24,942 mod
    I stayed in a lovely hotel one time, overlooking the Annapurna mountains in Nepal. They had thought of everything and the rooms came equipped with brollies to use if it was raining, as the rooms are a couple of minutes walk from the dining room.
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 8,957 mod
    Whose umbrellas are we talking about?

Who's = Who is...
    My umbrella came into its own over the weekend when it rained nonstop on both days.
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 9,913 mod
    One of them must be mine, @lichaamstaal‌ !
    I lost my favourite umbrella in the hall of a meetingplace.
    That's what brollies are for @april! Leaving around. But I thought you had a collection?
    Not at all, @mheredge‌ and that one has a sentimental value. :(
    I have learned not to get sentimental about umbrellas @april, as I lose them all the time. I realised I had two, so last week, I gave one away. I'm inclined to give the other one away too, to save carrying it back to Kathmandu in a few weeks. It's not expected to rain there again till July. By that time I'm sure I can find another cheap replacement.
    I once forgot my umbrella, which I bought in Japan, in the plane when we disembarked and I asked the airport customer service to get it. :)
    edited December 2014
    Last week, I almost lost my scarf in a coffee shop, but just before we drove off, a customer came out and asked me if I had left it behind. (It would have been the 2nd time I'd lost a scarf in a coffee shop).
    I lost a favourite hat in a restaurant in Kathmandu. Sadly I was leaving for India a day later, so didn't have a chance to go back to see if they'd found it. I'm really bad about leaving things like that all over the place.
  • aryarchiaryarchi Posts: 862 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2015
    Ive lost too many stuffs,just enough to say 2 mobile phones.

----------------------------

I've lost too much stuff: Enough to say, 2 mobile phones.
    Post edited by Lynne on
    edited January 2015
    Oh that's a shame @aryarchi‌. The most valuable item I ever lost was a camera, which was stupidity on my part and bad luck. I forgot it on the table where I'd been eating in a restaurant in Singapore. Unlucky for me, someone picked it up and stole it.
    Post edited by Lynne on
  • DoraDora Teacher's Pet Posts: 3,068 mod
    edited January 2015
    My friend recently got crushed by a pile of books, but she has only got his shelf to blame. :smiley:

-----------------------

My friend recently got crushed by a pile of books, but she has only got her shelf to blame.
    or
    My friend recently got crushed by a pile of books, but he has only got his shelf to blame.
    I left a camera behind on a rock in the mountains of Andorra - in the middle of nowhere. I soon realised my mistake (5 minutes max) and went back for it, but it had gone! I wonder if there are some sheep selfies out there.
    Yes, sadly I only has myself to blame @Dora.
    @Lynne Really bad.
    Well, I was really missing you.Have you returned for good or you have to go again? (on holidays)
  • FrankFrank Moderator Posts: 5,641 mod
    One of my sons lost a favourite cap on a day trip. Luckily we had made dozens of pictures that day, so we could easily trace the last spot where he still had it on. At last we discovered he had left it in a restaurant where we'd just eaten.
    Well done! @lichaamstaal
    Excellent @lichaamstaal‌. Far better than trying to remember the last time you saw it.
    edited January 2015
    @mheredge and Lynn,I thing camera is the most common thing to be lost in our forum.

----------------------------

@mheredge and Lynne, I think cameras are the most common things to be lost in our forum.
    Post edited by Lynne on
    Happily it was the first I'd ever lost, and hopefully the last.
  • FrankFrank Moderator Posts: 5,641 mod
    edited January 2015
    You are right @aryarchi. Camera's are the most mentioned lost properties here. This could also have to do with the perceived value. If you forget or lose an umbrella somewhere, maybe it's not worth mentioning it, (except when your name is @april and you consider some umbrella's to be valuable ;) ). Camera's are valuable, not only because of the price, but also because of the memorable pictures they could contain. I ones left my camera in a Chinese restaurant in France. When I went back for the camera the restaurant was already closed. The next day we wanted to leave the place where we stayed early, but the restaurant didn't open before noon. We were afraid we had to wait all the time, but luckily the owner of the cottage where we stayed could get in touch with the owner of the restaurant. It was a village where everybody knew each other. That was our luck!
    @lichaamstaal my mobile phone also was containing lots of memorable pics in it when I lost it.
    You were so lucky!
    I wrote a song about a tortilla. Well actually, it’s more of a wrap. :smile:
    I don't know how it works @aryarchi‌, but Google seems to back up photos that I take using my Samsung phone. Not that I take anything too meaningful with my phone.
    How is it to back up @mheredge ?cause I've lost my memory card in my mobile phone.
    I really don't know @aryarchi‌, only when I bought a new Samsung phone, all the photos I'd taken using my Samsung tablet followed. It was very weird and I'm not sure how, except I think it must have been something to do with my Google account.
    Yes, you need to set your Google account in your smartphone or tablet or PC / laptop, then all pictures that you have taken with those devices or pictures that you have posted in Google Plus will be automatically saved in your Google Photos.
    It's sometimes annoying too.
    @mheredge , By the time I lost my mobile phone, I hadn't established a Google account.
    @april ,I think it would be useful on the whole.