Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

The saddest story

LynneLynne Your TeacherHomePosts: 9,594 mod
edited December 2014 in Humour
Three top motivational speakers were at a convention together, sharing the penthouse suite at the top of a 75-storey hotel. After a long day of meetings and presentations, they were dismayed to find that the lifts weren't working, and they would have to climb 75 flights of stairs to get to their room.

One of them came up with bright idea, “Let’s break the monotony of this unpleasant task by concentrating on something interesting. I’ll tell jokes for 25 flights, then one of you can sing songs for the next 25 flights and the other will tell sad stories for the rest of the way.”

At the 26th floor, he stopped telling jokes and one of the other speakers began to sing. At the 51st floor, he stopped singing and the other speaker began to tell sad stories.

“I will tell my saddest story first,” he said, “I left the room key in the car.”

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,171 mod
    I thought they were going to get so sad by the 75th floor, they would all be jumping off. Makes my ten floors I've had to climb when the power's been off seem nothing

The next sad story is that HE has to go ad fetch the key. Good exercise.
  • FrankFrank Moderator Posts: 6,080 mod
    edited December 2014
    This reminds me of the story of a man who worked on the 20th floor of a big building. Every day he took the lift to the 6th floor and from there he took the stairs to his working place. Only when a colleague accompanied him he stayed in the lift until they reached the 20th floor. At the end of the day he always went down with the lift and then never used the stairs. What could have been the reason for this strange behavior? I’ll leave the answer to you for a while.
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,594 mod
    Yes, I know that one, but I won't spoil it for anyone else.
    edited December 2014
    If nobody gives the anwer within one week's time, I'll leave it to you @Lynne
    You might have to remind me. If you like, I can add a spoiler. Actually I think you can too.
  • SLBSLB Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    That's not a story that's a fact! (btw are you abusing the fact that storey and story are homophones?)
    Hmm, I was staying in tenth floor apartment the past few weeks. I only walked up a few times when the power was out, but I nearly always walked down. I'm not sure why this guy is doing it the other way round.
  • lucygplucygp Posts: 3
    edited December 2014
    ’ll tell jokes for 25 flights,

• SLBSLB Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭✭
    The first time I heard that word I couldn't understand. It took me almost a day to find "storey" @lichaamstaal‌
    I'm still waiting to hear why the man was climbing up some of the floors, and taking the lift down all the way. Can you give us a hint @lichaamstaal‌?
    Be patient @mheredge! I said I would give you a week to figure it out. And then @Lynne may give the answer. If I gave you a hint I might give away the clue right away.
  • I think that when it rains and the guy has got his umbrella with him, he can go to the 20th floor without bothering with the stairs.
    Have you been watching Mary Poppins @Xeb?
  • Many times. :D
    I don't get why he should have to stay in the lift if his colleague was with him, unless it was just to be sociable.
    He did not stay in the lift for being sociable @mheredge. It had a more practical purpose.
  • How high is the 20th button on the lift panel? How tall is the guy?
    That's really a good question @Xeb! Does Xeb's question help you to get to the clue @mheredge?
    Ah got it. Thanks @Xeb‌.
    edited December 2014
    Yes, the guy is not tall enough to reach for the seventh button. The next question is a mathematical one. If the guy is at his working place at the 20th floor and he has to get something out of the printer which is on the 8th floor, how will he get there the easiest way without anybody else's help.

-------------------------

Yes, the guy is not tall enough to reach the seventh button. The next question is a mathematical one. If the guy is at his workplace on the 20th floor and he has to get something out of the printer which is on the 8th floor, what is the easiest way for him to get there, without anybody else's help?
    Post edited by Lynne on
    Walk down the stairs @lichaamstaal‌? Am I missing something here?
  • BadariahBadariah Posts: 35 ✭✭
    I can understand a little about the discussion above. Maybe by the time, I can improve better.
    Yes, @mheredge. He could do this a bit more economically. Do @Lynne or @Xeb have any idea?
  • If I were this guy, I'd use my umbrella to push on the button 8 and above, but it's got nothing to do with maths.
  • Hi @Badariah‌,

Fell free to ask questions about the parts of the discussion that sound mysterious to you. :)
    Any Idea's what he could do on a hot summer day @Xeb?
    Nothing mechanical @lichaamstaal‌? A fan might help keep him cool, but won't get him down the stairs.
    edited December 2014
    No @mheredge, I meant on a hot day, when he's not taking his umbrella with him, what would he do? That hasn't got to do anything with the solution per se.

So the question is: If the guy is at his working place at the 20th floor and he has to get something out of the printer which is on the 8th floor, how will he get there the easiest way without anybody else's help and without the help of any equipment like umbrella's or mechanics etcetera. He's just allowed to walk or take the lift. What will he do?

Pfff... this is going to be a difficult one. The question is getting longer already with all the exceptions...
  • BobmendezBobmendez Posts: 392 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    He could push the same button in the lift as he did in the morning then walk up to the 8th floor. It is still easier to quit :\
This discussion has been closed.