Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The April rain, the April rain,
Comes slanting down in fitful showers,
Then from the furrow shoots the grain,
And banks are fledged with nestling flowers;
And in grey shawl and woodland bowers
The cuckoo through the April rain
Calls once again."

Mathilde Blind, April Rain
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

How much of your life are you going to spend waiting for things?

mheredgemheredge WordsmithHere and therePosts: 24,849 mod
I thought that this was a very interesting comment on why some people want to live in developed countries. I'd never thought about it in this way.

But at risk of getting political, the British government is "doing a brilliant job at making the UK a place where nobody would ever want to live. While London remains the most prosperous city in Europe, nine out of the 10 poorest places in the EU are all in the UK." However, much more off-putting than the grinding poverty is the prevailing attitude of hatred and paranoia; the wave of sudden, strident xenophobia that seems to be prevalent there.

Yet people still want to come where they think the grass is greener. Is this the same where you live? Or do people look at countries like Britain with rose tinted spectacles?

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/nov/30/britain-migrate-net-migration-david-cameron?CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2

Comments

• aryarchiaryarchi Posts: 862 ✭✭✭
    Yes,here we are all eager to emigrate where the grass is greener.(Emigration to west)
    but as its shown in news programs and as it pointed here xenophobia and specially Islamophobia is becoming conventional.
    you can see the protesters in Germany protesting against Islamisation of west.
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 24,849 mod
    You're right @aryarchi‌: the grass always seems greener elsewhere. But people often underestimate the things they lose living abroad and far from friends and family.
    Its going to be something impossible for me,cause Im the only child and cant leave my family so easy.
    That makes it less easy @aryarchi‌. I'm very fortunate as I have a sister who lives near my mother.
    Yes @mheredge Thats good for you, but already my parents are young,they don't need my care
    Bonus correction @aryarchi‌: Thats good for you, but at present my parents are young. They don't need my care
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 4,287 mod
    There are positive and negative parts about most places in the world, however if you are in a bad situation you might only see the positives about moving to another place without noticing that there are of course obvious negative points to them as well. I moved to Britain and I do think that the standard of living is better than a lot of countries, however you cannot deny that there are things that aren't very good as well, and you need to be aware of these things before you decide to come and live here if that is something that you are thinking about.
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 29,874 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Interestingly! I spent my whole life in a city. But my parents spent their lives in their relative villages. I was used to spend my holidays with my cousins who live in a village and believe me that was the best time of a year. Fresh air, fields, crops, forest, lake etc. everything is there. I reminisced that time and feel as if I belonged to that place. Living in a big city is blissful when you are young and try to pursue your goals, studies, and career. But sometimes going back to your native place makes a big difference in your life. I feel refreshed when I go to my village and feel as if I am free soul having no tensions, possessions etc. Its really a marvelous experience of life. :)
    I've been waiting for friends stuck because the airport is closed. The worst is not knowing when it will reopen. I don't mind waiting if I can see an end in sight!
  • mounirstahmounirstah Posts: 7
    I was waiting for the internet connexion to post a comment. Unfortunately, we have only one provider.
  • DiepNguyenhongDiepNguyenhong Posts: 19 ✭✭
    I'm living in Vietnam & there are more and more people wanna go abroad for studying, working, living now. We can not deny grass in somewhere is really greener than some where else. Of course i will lose manything and face to many difficulties when living among strange people in new place. But who want to live in danger, poverty & lack of education?
    You hit the nail on the head precisely @DiepNguyenhong. It's a very tough choice to make.
  • DiepNguyenhongDiepNguyenhong Posts: 19 ✭✭
    > @mheredge said:
    > I've been waiting for friends stuck because the airport is closed. The worst is not knowing when it will reopen. I don't mind waiting if I can see an end in sight!

Where does your friend come from? How is it going? @mheredge
    Oh that was ages ago @DiepNguyenhong when Turkish Airlines crashed the nose of one of their planes into the runway. Now the problem is that India isn't letting any oil into Nepal and some airlines are having trouble with refueling.

• VanithyBonteVanithyBonte Posts: 3
    Everybody wants to live as perfect as possible. Everybody wants career, a beautifuL house, a family, lot's of money,..
    We should all be proud of our country and realise that some people are praying for things that we take for granted. The gras is not always greener on the other side, just because it is somewhere else, does not mean that it is greener.
    The trouble is @VanityBronte, the grass always seems to be greener on the other side of the fence. It's only after you spend enough time on the other side of the fence that you realise that everywhere has its share of problems.
  • kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,508 mod
    I would like to spend my life helping others because at the end of they day, when we get old and die someday, those materials things can't be taken out with us when we go to heaven. :)
This discussion has been closed.