Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Football

Comments

• aryarchiaryarchi Posts: 864 ✭✭✭
    Goals are not important @lichaamstaal .
  • FrankFrank Moderator Posts: 6,310 mod
    I thought this was the only thing where football was all about. When I watch a game that ends in 0-0 I always have the feeling I wasted my time and all the fans on the tribune with me. I even imagine how we could have given economy a positive boost if we would have done something else - more productive - together instead of watching that game. Somehow I don't get it I think, do I?
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 29,819 mod
    I noticed that there seem to be a few international matches going on from what I could see on the sports channels. I didn't stop to watch though.

I once watched a match in a small town somewhere in Brazil and like you say, @aryarchi goal-counting wasn't important (though the away team slaughtered the home team). I found watching the footwork fascinating. It was more like ballet than anything else.
    Yes @mheredge, I think they born football players in Brazil.
    The home team really were hopeless at saving goals @aryarchi. But their footwork was beautiful!
    So, can you describe your reactions to me after watching the important scenes?!! Did you jump up when they scored the goals? @mheredge
    edited February 2015
    Ahhhh, Is that you @lichaamstaal ?!!! Nice to meet you again. I'm so happy to find such a friend like you.
    Netherlands played so well against Spain in world cup 2014, I'd never forget how Robin van Persie scored a surprisingly nice goal by head. You were so unlucky in the last few years that you didn't get any championship, specially in 2010, which Arjen Robben didn't played as well as he did and lost some important chances.
    Van Persie's goal was remarkable indeed @aryarchi
    Hey I wish I could fly like that (in my dreams!).

I was very sad to hear the news about the deaths of fans in Egypt. Many fans were crushed in a similar episode in the UK some years ago. It makes me very nervous whenever I'm in a big crowd.
    edited February 2015
    They called Robin van Persie the flying Dutchman for this @mheredge.

I agree with you about the fans in Egypt. It's terrible news. I think this is a big downside of football. The game is nice, but the aggression of the supporters, the hooliganism and the danger of the moving crowds are absolutely frightening. I think you don't see that so much with other sports.
    It seems that football is used as an excuse for hooliganism. Rugby doesn't seem to attract the same sort of hooliganism even though it seems a much rougher game.
    In the summer of 2014 we had the World Championship Hockey in The Hague. It was nice to watch. Everything proceeded so organized and smoothly. There are modern rules in this sport e.g. the referees can call on a video referee to be sure the rules are obeyed. The supporters behave more peacefully too. Hooliganism doesn't seem to exist in hockey. I surely believe you're right that football is used as an excuse for hooliganism @mheredge. Somehow it attracts the wrong people. I don't understand why a sport like hockey isn't more popular.

Here you can watch the women play: Holland against Australia.
    edited February 2015
    I remember playing hockey at school @lichaamstaal. Have you ever seen teenage girls play? On the pitch, they make football hooligans blush with shame! On Saturday mornings when the school team was practicing, my father reckoned the air was more blue than if sailors had been playing.
    These teenage girls would not only make football hooligans blush with shame or embarrassment. They would give them a good distraction too, I guess. When I drive past a hockey field where young girls are playing, I'm always surprised of their endurance to play in short skirts, even when its raining or freezing cold.
  • LynneLynne Teach HomePosts: 9,752 mod
    edited February 2015
    Hockey is far more vicious than football, the players have weapons!

Hockey was a winter sport at my school, and I used to freeze to death on the hockey pitch as the only time I ran was when the ball was coming towards me, and then I would run away. Our hockey teacher was a sadist, and made us play in all weather.

I preferred to play goalie for the boys playing football. They were very gentlemanly.
    edited February 2015
    I don't believe hockey is that vicious, despite your nasty experience with it @Lynne. Hockey players have weapons indeed, but they also have strict rules to keep these weapons low. Football players are more reluctant to obey the rules and therefore football is a game with many injuries. The football shoes with knobs can be lethal weapons too, I think.
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,497 mod
    edited February 2015

He is only 24 year old.
    His name is Eden Hazard, he is one of the Belgian Red Devil.
    He plays for Chelsea and he earns 270,000 Euro a week.
    An ideal son-in-law, isn't he?
    I'm not sure if he is already married, though :).
    Post edited by april on
    @Korczix I'm just wondering why it's not the most popular sport in some countries like Australia.
  • [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    I really love football. I've been playing football for my whole life... :)
  • karuneshkarunesh Posts: 46 ✭✭
    I like football very much beside cricket and If we talk about wrestling I would say I enjoy watching it because of screenplay and act the wrestlers use to do there.
    Football is very vicious game I must say because in this the other player don't care for other player's injury it seems nice on T.V. but on field it's rather a game of injury one's need to be completely fit for playing such a game otherwise you will get injured yourself on very first much whether it is on national level or international level.
    edited February 2015
    @aryarchi because in Australia's most of the population is indulge in sports and They like to play every sports as they are good in cricket, hockey, american football i.e. rugby, olympics and football soccer as well because Australia usually qualify for every fifa world cup.

---------------

Because in Australia most of the population indulges in some kind of sports. They like to play every sport, in the Olympics, and they are good at cricket, hockey, rugby, and football / soccer as well, because Australia usually qualifies for every FIFA world cup.
    Post edited by Lynne on
    @aryarchi, football isn't number one game in the USA either. No taste!
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,497 mod
    Do you also have football hooligans in your country, guys?
    That's right @mheredge. But I can't even think of other sports.
  • chandan123chandan123 Posts: 50 Inactive
    @april - Hazard is one of my favorite player . he is supposed to be the next big thing after ronaldo and messi . He is young now but he has potential to be a great player.
    He is married though.
  • chandan123chandan123 Posts: 50 Inactive
    @Lynne - Hockey looks more vicious then football but it is not . You have to only protect yourself from stick and ball. But in football physicality has become very important to have in a player. Tackles are far more dangerous in comparison to hockey .
  • LynneLynne Teach HomePosts: 9,752 mod
    @karunesh - Don't confuse rugby and American football, they are completely different. There's Australian rules football too, which is brutal.
  • nelnel Posts: 1,125 Inactive
    I think football is the most interesting sport and many people are fan of it. Did you hear about player who had heart attract in the games and unfortunately they died?