Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Football

1293031323335»

Comments

• nomad81nomad81 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
    @mheredge the players are depend on their managers, who often count for own profit than develop player's career.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 29,819 mod
    They have been badly let down @nomad81.
  • RitaLeeRitaLee Posts: 59 ✭✭
    @mheredge The player is only tool of the mamager for trading
    I am interesting in football but I am scary what amount of money clubs pay for player's transfers. I wonder where is a border for football business.
  • RitaLeeRitaLee Posts: 59 ✭✭
    @nomad81 The player is only a tool of the mamager for trading
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 6,367 mod
    jcfb said:

I played football for some years. I was a goalkeeper on my home village club. I started in the young ranks of the club until reach the senior team. Then my hobbies start to change and now I´m a chess player on my home town club. I´m wonderng what will be my next hobbie :)

Those two hobbies certainly sound very different. Which did you prefer? I suppose football is more physically challenging, whereas chess is more mentally challenging.
  • bogdan10bogdan10 Posts: 10 ✭✭
    Who else here is a fan of Premier League? If yes, which team do you support?
    @bogdan10 I am supporter of Manchester United and I am interesting in Premier League. If you want, you can join to our LEON League. You have to create a team on the website Fantasy Premier League. More information you will find in topic LEON LEAGUES- Season 2017/18.
  • JalfonJalfon Posts: 38 ✭✭
    Here is a fan of Atletico de Madrid. We are a bit dissapointed this year because the owners of the club (who obtained the club illegally, but this is not the point right now) have made us move from our stadium to a new one in the outskirts of Madrid. Besides, their dark maniouvres buying and transfering young players have been punished by the FIFA and we can't buy any new players until january. This is a big handicap when you're tryng to compete against Barcelona and Real Madrid. Not to mention the horrible t-shirt that we're wearing this year.. To sum up, many bad news together. The only exciting thing is that we have Simeone on our bench, and this is enough to keep us motivated.
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,497 mod
    Football seems have to be linked with vandalism the last time.
    Some crazy people find it "funny" to make amok in the cities; as their manner to celebrate!
    What a joke!
    Sometimes a football's events is a pretext to rough-and-tumble, where vandals can damage cars, to break a shop's windows up and to fight with the police. It is nothing common with fans which only interest in a game and supporting their time.
    Does it happen in your place too, @nomad81 ?
    It's Belgium x Japan at this moment here.
    First half: 0 - 0
    @april Stadiums in my country, generally are safe, a mainly problem is a situation that after matches, it often ends a fight among hooligans, to say nothing of offensive songs. There are attempts from a direction of the police and local government to put an end to it. Only success, when are national representation's game, is relative a peace and an order.
    @nomad81 , yes the hooligans are very organised.
    They do that just for fun. They maybe aren't football fans at all.
    It's a pity, because the most of football fans are not like that.
    And when fans in your country are peaceful, hooligans from another countries can come and do the same thing.
    Curious, how it will be going during the World Cup in a couple of months.
    @april It often proved that hooligans are simply criminal groups, which deal drugs or forcing. Sometimes, the news inform about breakup hooligans group and arresting them. A fought with them is difficult because they are organized well and a very brutal.
    I am afraid that during the World Cup will be the same situation, what was like Euro 2016 in France. We saw a struggle among hooligans.
    I am interested in football ,since I remember. I went to a match at a stadium before, but now I am not going there. I wait on time when I can go to a match with my daughter.
  • Shishio13Shishio13 Posts: 104 ✭✭
    Peru goes to World Cup.... Peruvian team beats 2-0 NZ team in Lima and get the last seat for World Cup Russia 2018... Sorry kiwis but stay playing rugby :P
    @Shishio13 , or practising Haka. :D
    I agree, @nomad81 .
    Last Saturday it was an uproar after a football match and yesterday another one because a group of young people (minors) came downtown to see a performance of a rapper!
    They always find a reason to run amok.
    Frustating! :#
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 29,819 mod
    Okay not football, but I'm in Cape Town and the rugby championships are on here. As I arrived back to the hostel I'm staying in tonight, that is opposite the stadium, I saw glum faces. South Africa has been doing very well so far but apparently the Kiwis did better today and beat them.

https://www.supersport.com/rugby/sevens/news/171210/Kiwis_spoil_Cape_Town_party