Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Football

aprilapril ModeratorPosts: 9,645 mod
edited November 2014 in Hobbies and Sport
Smart goalie!
Enjoy the beautiful supersaves by keeper Mathew Ryan (wearing yellow football outfit) in the Europa League Match between Torino vs Club Brugge yesterday.

http://sporza.be/permalink/1.2162935

or this link

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2b8bqz_torino-vs-club-brugge-0-0-full-highlights-27-11-2014-europa-league-hd_sport

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 23,466 mod
    Hahaha - foolball - I like that @science24‌.
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 9,645 mod
    edited November 2014
    Can't you see the science's side of his act, @Science? :)
    Foolball? Scientific @april? I'm not sure about that! What's scientific about a bunch of guys kicking a bladder of air around a field?
    It's all about mathematics and physics! :)
    Are you trying to tell me that footballers are mathematicians @april? I'd never really thought of them as scientists before.
    Of course they are, @mheredge‌ :)
    I will just have to believe you @april.
    Very true, @lichaamstaal‌ .
    Football is not at all only running after a ball around a field. :)
    However, I must shiver by the thought that there is always so much money involved in football. :(
    All sport @april, involves big bucks nowadays. Maybe that's what keeps it going.
    Not really for every sport I think, for example swimming?
    Maybe I'm being cynical @april, but nowadays I thought all sports involves money, what with sponsorship, advertising and so on.
    edited December 2014
    It is quite different numbers between sports like tennis or football and another sport like swimming.
    For example in 2007:
    - Ronaldo, the Real Madrid footballer earned € 17400000 a year, but Pieter van den Hoogenband the swimmer from The Netherlands, once World Champion, three times Olympic Champion and sixteen times European Champion earned : € 650000 a year.
    And I didn't forget any zero in his salary. :)
    But honestly @april, 650,000 euros a year wasn't bad, even if Ronaldo earned more than two and a half times more. And what would he want to do with all that extra dosh anyway?
  • FrankFrank Moderator Posts: 4,948 mod
    I think it's not only about the merit of individual sportsmen. It's also about the qualification of sports. Much more money is spent on football than on swimming. Football gets a lot more attention than any other sport. I think it's over-qualified. Other sports could be as interesting to watch as football. Yet these sports are less promoted. Most newspapers have sports supplements which are filled with almost only articles about football. Of cause this has to do with demand. There are lots of supporters, especially men, who are addicted to football. They watch the games every evening on premium channels and talk about football all the time with their friends. All this interest for football ensures that football teams can make a lot of money when they become champion. And all they have to do for that is paying the highest price for the best players. That's the main reason that football players earn way too much. The Dutch swimmer Pieter van den Hoogenband earns a lot less than Ronaldo because apparently people are much less interested in swimming than in football.
    'I think it's over-qualified.' Over-rated is a better word to use here @lichaamstaal‌. I take it you're not an avid fan! Football supporters who are really passionate about the game would probably disagree with you.

In Roman times, I wonder if the gladiators had the same fuss made of them as footballers.
    That's right @mheredge. I like to watch the European championships and the world championships. That makes it every two years. That's enough for me. When they begin to talk about all kinds of national and international leagues I drop off.

I think the enthusiasm about the gladiators and the fuss about them must have been about the same. Maybe that was the time the first hooligans appeared too (gladiator-hooligans).
    The old Romans certainly weren't worried about graffiti either @lichaamstaal‌.
    Wasn't mosaic their graffiti? I guess they didn't have aerosols, so whatever there graffiti could have looked like, it must have caused them an awful lot of time.
    I think I've seen some ancient graffiti carved into stone @lichaamstaal‌. Since time immemorial, people like to leave their mark.
    edited December 2014
    Isn't that the same behaviour as a dog lifting up his paw at every tree @mheredge?

------------------------------------

Isn't that the same behaviour as a dog cocking his leg at every tree @mheredge?
    Post edited by Lynne on
    I'd never really thought about it in this way @lichaamstaal‌. I suppose putting it like that, it is similar. Curious specimens, the male species. I don't think that females go in for this sort of behaviour.
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 8,486 mod
    edited December 2014
    Sport promotion is a funny thing. I remember when the BBC tried to push darts as a mainstream sport, they did the same with snooker, but I think team sports will always beat individual ones in viewing figures. People kind of get behind a team.

PS - @lichaamstaal‌ - a dog cocks his leg to pee, and raises its paw when it wants a treat. Dogs have body language too. :)

Footie doesn't have quite the same following in India @lichaamstaal‌, but cricket is almost a religion. Dharamsala is now on the map as far as visitors are concerned since they build a new cricket stadium here.
    A dog cocks his leg, that's an extraordinary expression @Lynne.! Never heard of it before! Are you sure its not the other way around? ;)
    edited December 2014
    mheredge said:

Curious specimens, the male species. I don't think that females go in for this sort of behaviour.

That's true @mheredge. Cocking your leg is surely something male-ish.
    Laika wouldn't do a thing like that, would she @Lynn?
    I think males of the species tend to be much more territorial than females @lichaamstaal‌. And cocking the leg for dogs is just a way to mark their territory. Females are a lot more relaxed about this sort of thing.
  • goalkeepergoalkeeper Posts: 4
    in my opinion football is the best sport created
    Do you play or watch @goalkeeper?