Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer.

Helen Hunt Jackson - September
The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.

John Updike, September
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Fishing for compliments

FrankFrank ModeratorPosts: 5,962 mod
edited November 2014 in Word Games
People who fish for compliments try to get someone else to say something positive about them. This act is sometimes frowned upon. It can be considered an act of conceitedness; something you shouldn’t be doing. But actually in this new word game you should. Here you are meant to give compliments to others and also to ask politely for them. This is how it works. Take the following steps:

1. Give the person in the forum who has posted just before you the compliment where he or she asks for.
2. Tel us where you want to be complimented for yourself.

Example:

Person-a:
1. (Person-a has given a compliment to the former)
2. I like to receive a compliment for my hard work.

Person-b:
1. You really did a good job @person-a! I appreciate your efforts! You must be sweating after this endeavour. Well done!
2. What do you think about my rabbits?

Person – c:
1. What a lovely rabbits you have @person- b! They are really cute. I wish I could cuddle and stroke them. They are absolutely gorgeous.
2. I bought an new motorbike last month. How do you like it?

Person –d:
1. What a beauty! I guess it’s very fast. What an incredible sound it makes. I also like the colour. You must be awfully happy with it.
2. I woud like a compliment for my garden.

Etcetera. Try to make your compliments as original as posible and try to avoid using only the words 'good' and 'like'.

Comments

• FrankFrank Moderator Posts: 5,962 mod
    edited August 2016
    I will start:
    1. I like to compliment @xeb for her perseverence in the question game. You come with original question-answers and I like that very much!
    2. I like to receive a compliment for the Christmas tree I had last year.
    Post edited by Frank on
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 27,105 mod
    What a fine Christmas tree you had last year @lichaamstaal‌. It was so beautifully decorated. Are you going to have another one like it this year?

I'd like to be complimented on my garden.
  • Wow, what such a beautiful guerrilla garden, Marianne! It is superbe. LOL

I'd like to be complimented about not getting upset to be called a bot or a male all the time.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 27,105 mod
    Since short hair looks always so much neater and glamorous @Lynne, your husband must be blind!

I've been making bit more effort to dress a bit more smartly lately, but no one seems to have noticed.
    edited November 2014
    That’s probably because you always dress so graceful @mheredge. But now you mention it. You really look gorgeous! What a nice colours the fabric has. And what a good combination with your shoes.
    I like to receive a compliment for waking early to join the reading group yesterday.

----------------------------

I would like to receive a compliment for waking early to join the reading group yesterday.
    Post edited by Lynne on
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,493
    edited November 2014
    Snug in bed, you had the world for yourself before the crack of the dawn, but you did it, you opened an eye, put a foot on the floor and pushed yourself to venture outside. How valiant! How brave!

Anything nice about me looking so great on my last selfie?
    When I look at your selfie I see a beautiful woman. I didn’t know you were a woman first, but now I can see it clearly @xeb. Yes, I can see it clearly indeed! How I admire your attracting eyes and your curly hair! Your gaze is absolutely hypnotising! Today it’s one of these days I pity I’m a married man!

I would like somebody to say something positive about the moustache I’ve been growing this month because of Movember.
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,489 mod
    edited December 2014
    You look so distinguished @lichaamstaal‌, you should enter the world moustache championships, I'm sure you would win. It seems a shame to shave it off, so maybe you could celebrate Decembeard, and go the whole hog.

A compliment about the new article on walking in the English magazine, would be nice.
    Post edited by Lynne on
    edited December 2014
    A pretty useful article that you've written here, Lynne. Your choice of words to get the right gear from top to toe passing by undies to survive the British hazardous environment make it a must read. Man vs Wild's Bear Grylls wouldn't have done it better.

A youngster like me is using a shopping trolley for shopping. Anything positive and cheering about it would be more than welcome.

---------------------

Youngster that I am, I often use a shopping trolley for shopping. Anything positive and cheering about it would be more than welcome.
    Post edited by Lynne on
    edited August 2016
    Oh, I love your fruity shopping trolley @xeb. It is really an eye catcher which suits your general charm perfectly. Apart from the outlook of the trolley I can’t say anything else than it’s really practically equipped with its diverse compartments. It also has much room inside which make it very handy. I wonder where you bought this trolley, because I’d like to recommend it to other youngsters I meet.

Next week I will be dressed as Sinterklaas (that’s our Santa Claus) to perform for the children. I’d like to gain some confidence for this presentation. Can anybody tell me how I probably will look then?

Post edited by Frank on
  • The kids will love you. When Sinterklaas and Zwarte are around, candies are too. Naughty or good, they will all get some and enjoy. Nobody will really fear the birch rod. After all, if not the parents, Sinterklaas perfectly knows that being a bit naughty is good for growing up. Have no fear, have no fear, it’s just going to be fun.

This weekend I'll take my brother to the Alsace region for his birthday. I'm such a good sister, isn't it?
    edited November 2014
    You took the words right out of my mouth @Xeb, you're a good sister indeed. It's really a nice sister act you're performing. I doubt that if he had been your sister and you had been her birthday-celebrating brother, it would have been all the same. What a warm womanly heart you show by sacrificing your free time and taking your brother to Alsace for his birthday. And all of this out of your free will and without any need for reciprocity.

I would like to receive a compliment for my son's rabbit.
    edited December 2014
    This rabbit seems to enjoy his meal and have a good time. You and your son must have planted good tucker in this pot and created a nice and quiet atmosphere around him for this rabbit to look so relaxed. Maybe you could introduce him to @Hermine‌'s bunny?

I've been able to appreciate to their best all these compliments without blushing. Maybe I'm now able to take compliments. After all I'm worth it, isn't it?

--------------------------

I've been able to appreciate all these compliments without blushing. Maybe now I'll be able to take compliments. After all I'm worth it, aren't I?
    Post edited by Lynne on
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 6,261 mod
    edited December 2014
    We haven`t delivered baby rabbits for quite a long time, and I hope it stays that way.
    @xeb.
    I'm surprised compliments make you blush @Xeb. You must be so used to them, because you are bound to receive lots, as a matter of course.

I'm about to take Laika for her second walk of the day. Is that worth a compliment?

• Freezing winds, snow and ice are natural put off to get out in winter more than necessary, but just because it’s cold, you don't skip Laika’s walking routine, you even go for a second walk with her. I think that Laika would agree with me if I say that you are quite a remarkable human specimen.

I'll make the effort to write and post Christmas cards this year. A few people are going to be pleasantly surprised, aren't they?
    The gift of giving is what Christmas is all about, and you embody that spirit with every atom of your being. You would put the Christmas fairy to shame.

I stayed in all day yesterday to wait for a package for hubby, and it cost me £90 in customs duty!
    It’s amazing to see how you efface yourself by staying home to wait for the package for your hubby @Lynne. What a sublime sacrifice you made to spend the £90 in customs duty out of your own pocket without even mentioning it. You turned out to be an very unselfish good Samaritan. You really care for other’s needs. You didn’t even dream of the package to be a nice surprise Christmas present he secretly ordered for you. Every other hubby will ask himself why he’s just another hubby and not your hubby.

For our Saint Nicolas celebrations I had to write lots of poems for other people. What do you think of the poems I wrote?
  • amatsuscribbleramatsuscribbler Posts: 2,213 mod
    Your generosity of spirit is an example to us all @lichaamstaal‌ . To spend time writing for others can only be described as magnanimous and I'm sure your ability as a supreme poet is pre-eminent.

I have stayed tolerant and tight lipped through a whole weekend of learning, saying nothing in regard to internal politics! Not sure that's worth a compliment, but I'm proud of myself!
    edited January 2015
    You are always so trustworthy about anything we could imagine @xeb. You don’t even skip a single dentist appointment. You are persistent although the treatments turn out to be annoying all the time. You can’t stand the screeching sound of the drill and you hate the smell of the dentist’s room. You are painfully aware how teeth bother people in life: you suffer to get them, you suffer to keep them and you suffer to lose them. Nevertheless you are still going to your appointments so you certainly deserve some cheering:

Every day I practice English with my 10 years old son Thijn using a game-program on the computer. Doing this, he can earn points when he finishes a lesson. With this points he can buy extra time to play or dress up his avatar nicely. This has grown out to be an extracurricular interest of him. I support him with this with all my effort. This way he’s going to be better in English than I ever have been.

---------------------

Every day I practice English with my 10 year old son, Thijn, using a game-program on the computer. Doing this, he can earn points when he finishes a lesson. With these points he can buy extra time to play or dress up his avatar nicely. This has grown to be an extracurricular interest of his. I support him in this with all my effort. This way he’s going to be better in English than I have ever been.
    Post edited by Lynne on
    As your son gets older @lichaamstaal‌ his gratitude for your patience, inclusion and interest will be enormous. You only have his best interests at heart and have searched and found a way to help him learn English that suits him. You are a superlative parent and he will surely grow up to follow in your footsteps.

Further on the parenting route, I played the Hare and Tortoise story repeatedly for 46 minutes with my grand-daughter. Over and over and over again! Who says children nowadays have no concentration!
    edited January 2015
    I think your grand-daughter has an excellent concentration for her age @amatsuscribbler! I also think your own perseverance is outstanding. When I realise you even played the Hare and Tortoise story repeatedly for 46 minutes this is extraordinary. The hare wouldn't have that patience himself and might lack in perseverance. Very good of you!
    Recently @Xeb attended me on something that might be worth a compliment. My son collects beer caps. Now he has more than 400 copies of different branches from divergent countries. Whenever we are on holyday, walking in a supermarket, my son askes me to buy the most strange types of beer, just for the cap. So I have to drink all kinds of weird beers like trappist, stout, lager, pilsner, white beer, cherry flavour, wheat beer, and even alcohol free beers.

------------------------

Recently @Xeb reminded me of something that might be worth a compliment. My son collects beer caps. Now he has more than 400 copies of different brands from many countries. Whenever we are on holiday, walking in a supermarket, my son asks me to buy the strangest types of beer, just for the cap. So I have to drink all kinds of weird beers like Trappist, stout, lager, pilsner, white beer, cherry flavour, wheat beer, and even alcohol free beers.
    Post edited by Lynne on
    Your sacrifice for your son does you credit @lichaamstaal‌. Your belly will be a proud testament to the love a father has for his son.

---------------------

I took down all the Christmas decorations in time for 12th night. The house looks so empty now, I need cheering up.

edited January 2015
    I'm not sure whether that deserves a compliment or not Lynne! I suppose it does in that it shows you will sacrifice your own pleasure for that of tradition. And mum would definitely be proud of you and send you bags full of compliments!
    ------------
    A very simple request for a compliment..... no, I want LOADS!
    I did a G+ session and... it worked, and... someone turned up, and... it didn't go wrong!!
    Wow! Words cannot express my admiration. You have shown such perseverance with Google Plus hangouts, you are an example to us all.

I actually managed to complete a Coursera course! Including taking the exam! (I'll let you know if I passed when I get my results, but just finishing is an achievement for me.)
    Doing something so mammoth for the first time is a huge success and worthy of much admiration! When you know you have passed as well.... well, no words can express the depth of compliment needed for you.

In two days I shall reach a milestone birthday. An achievement beyond compare!
    Now it's two days ago since you wrote about your milestone birthday @amatsuscribbler, so that must be today. That deserves more than a compliment. That deserves a celebration. Nobody would have thought that you are already

40 years old!

You look so awfully young for a granny!

----
    This weekend I wrote an article about happiness, referring to an interesting article of the BBC and the World Database of Happyness. I hope it will make the people who read it at least a bit happier. It's written in Dutch, but maybe it makes you happy just to look at it!
    @lichaamstaal‌ - I doubt there could be anything more worthy than adding to the knowledge of happiness in the world. I am sure it will give great pleasure to everyone who reads it.

---------------

So far this year, I have managed to update the message on the forum every morning.