Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

On this breezy October morn, I walk
in the swift shadows of cloud-cursing rooks,
watching the world wake on the horizon.
Leo Yankevich
All houses wherein men have lived and died
Are haunted houses. Through the open doors
The harmless phantoms on their errands glide,
With feet that make no sound upon the floors.

We meet them at the doorway, on the stair,
Along the passages they come and go,
Impalpable impressions on the air,
A sense of something moving to and fro.
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

TripAdvisor

mheredgemheredge TeacherHere and therePosts: 27,501 mod
Since the rise of websites like TripAdvisor, hotels, B&Bs (bed and breakfasts), hostels and guesthouses have had to face public criticism. TripAdvisor has been around for 14 years, but in this time, it has forged a fraught relationship with the hospitality industry. This was brought to the fore yesterday when it was revealed that a Blackpool hotel had charged a couple £100 after they posted a critical review on the site (see the topic on British seaside winter holidays).

Have you ever written a review for Trip Advisor? Or do you take any notice of reviews other people have written about places before you book?

It’s just the latest in a string of incidents and disputes that TripAdvisor has found itself in.

http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2014/nov/19/tripadvisor-hotels-fine-bad-reviews-lawsuits?CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 27,501 mod
    I more often than not look after I've booked! And I don't always agree with the review.

I sometimes contribute, especially if it's a new place or one where no one has reviewed it yet.
  • selinselin Posts: 12
    i joined to Tripadvisor as a friend , but actually i didn't understand how i can benefit from this website
    It's very useful to check out places and where to eat or stay if you want to see what other people think about the place @selin. Nowadays, many people use it to give an idea of the best places to stay. You can usually book online via Tripadvisor too, if you want to go and stay in a place that's reviewed on their website.
  • selinselin Posts: 12
    okay, thanks a lot :)
    If you write about places that are no so busy with tourists, you might find that you receive emails congratulating your comments as helpful @selin.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,527 mod
    I do usually look at reviews before I book, so negative reviews would stop me from making the booking in the first place. But for places where I have been, and looked at the reviews afterwards, it is clear to see that some reviews are untrue or unjustified. However I don't think that it is fair that people should be charged for leaving a review on the internet, because we have freedom of speech and should be able to say and write whatever we like. Some reviews may be falsely negative, but there's nothing that we can really do about that, though it is frustrating when it happens to you.
    For the first time ever, I wrote a negative review of an expensive restaurant I went to with a friend who had highly recommended the place. She had eaten some nice meals there before, but was very disappointed with the place and also wrote to complain.

The worst of it was the way the staff responded. They just smiled in an embarrassed fashion but did not offer to do anything about it. I couldn't bring myself to write that in the review for fear they might get fired or something.
This discussion has been closed.