Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The April rain, the April rain,
Comes slanting down in fitful showers,
Then from the furrow shoots the grain,
And banks are fledged with nestling flowers;
And in grey shawl and woodland bowers
The cuckoo through the April rain
Calls once again."

Mathilde Blind, April Rain
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Ooh look!

LynneLynne Your TeacherHomePosts: 8,936 mod
We had lots of fun with the oo sounds today.

So, to start with get your head round these:-

uː goose, mood, boot, ooze, zoo || prune, lose, prude, sued

ʊə poor, floor, moor || or, core, tour

ʌ blood, flood || mud, stud, hut, nut, rut

This is a really odd one:-

ʊ foot, soot, book, look, cook, rook, nook, wood, hood, stood, good || put, pud, would, could

Comments

• aprilapril Moderator Posts: 9,894 mod
    If I manage to learn all these words by heart, could you promise me that these are all we have to know for the oo sounds or .... is it just the beginning @Lynne? X_X
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 8,936 mod
    edited December 2013
    The clue is in "to start with"...
  • HelvioHelvio Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    =))
  • science24science24 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    are you ready for that @april :-/
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 5,939 mod
    @Lynne, did you anywhere record those words? I am not sure if voicethread wants to work for me after such a long time of being absent.

@apirl, I fee sick by the imagination of having more such `oo`s.
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 8,936 mod
    I haven't done the recording yet @Hermine. It's on my "To Do" list.
  • pryfllwydpryfllwyd The AnthropocenePosts: 1,405 mod
    don't forget boohooed
    Lynne I am getting better in my English, great. When I read `to do` list I wantend to search for it on this forum, but then came to mind Lynne obviously meant her personal notes.

Don't you have your "To Do" list clipping on your fridge door by such cute magnetic figure @Hermine?

No April, the door of our fridge doesn`t offer to keep magnetic things, but it would be nice.
  • HusseinhashemHusseinhashem Posts: 38
    I like phonetics so much, it is my best part of linguistics :) besides grammar ;)
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 24,849 mod
    @Hermine what is your fridge door made of? Is it not metal? Otherwise what about a a little noticeboard where you can pin notes and 'to do' lists? This works very well for me. I also used tape Sanskrit letters to my fridge door when I was learning Nepali.
    @Marianne, the fridge door`s colour matchs to the rest of the kitchen. That means no metal to put the nice figues on.
    Get a little notice board @Hermine. I tell you, it's so useful. I hang a calendar on it, stick reminder notes and little pictures that I like to keep.
    @Marianne - We put a huge cork board on the kitchendoor where all the most important things are noted. But I have to say it sometimes looks untyied.
    Ah @Hermine! If your board is too untidy, I guess it won't help much. That's why I prefer to use a small one. Then only the most important things get put on it.
  • amatsuscribbleramatsuscribbler Teacher Posts: 2,113 mod
    I have magnets on my fridge with pictures on - a snow leopard, the milky way - wierd and wonderful things for my grandchildren to look at! I also have a little chalk board that I write notes on for shopping. But I forget to look!
    The souvenir sellers keep trying to sell their fridge magnets to me. The main problem is that I don't have a fridge. Not that this should be a problem when I get back to Kathmandu in a week or so. It's going to be cold enough that I won't need one. :D
  • saeidsabersaeidsaber Posts: 13
    To learn English for me One of the most difficulties is pronunciation, it reduces my self-confident when I wanna talk to someone. now I want to know that Is it really depend on our native language's accent or it is something different?
    If it could comfort you @saeidsaber‌; I admit that I still make the same pronunciation mistakes after have been corrected for more than ten times. :(
    Just remember, native speakers from different parts of the Britain and indeed the world pronounce words very differently. So don't worry about pronunciation too much.
  • saeidsabersaeidsaber Posts: 13
    It makes me hopeful.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,494
    Hi @saeidsaber‌,

I think that my pronunciation sounds like my native language. It has also to do with some of my mouth muscles that I didn't know existed and my brain that interpret sounds I hear. It may sound like many drawbacks, but tongue twisters and receiving feedback when I speak have been helping a lot.
    I know I'm biased @xeb, but when French people speak English, I think they make the language sound so beautiful. My biggest downfall speaking French is that I can't roll my 'r's however much I go around trying to say 'roti, roti, roti.'
    I don't roll my 'r's in French. Are you sure you're not trying to speak French with a Spanish accent?
    You probably don't even realise that you're doing it @xeb!
    Maybe, but then why have I so many problems with my Spanish "RRs" sound? My "perro" sounds like "pero".
    Maybe I shouldn't worry so much about my 'rrrrs' then @xeb. Unfortunately there are cases in Nepali when I need to roll my 'r'sand as this is a tonal language, where you have to pronounce words accurately, this is a headac
    ...headache. Agh! I lost my connection just as I was trying to post! And I can't see the edit button on the tablet.
    For French, I wouldn't worry much, except if there is no R sound at all when you speak, otherwise it's time for playing with some tongue twisters. In English I remember spending a couple of months with "Around the rugged rock, the rugged rascal ran" and "Yellow lorry, red lorry". My English R is not 100% English, but it'll do.
This discussion has been closed.