Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

The Past

LynneLynne Your TeacherHomePosts: 9,069 mod
edited November 2013 in The Tenses
Try to answer one of the following questions:-

What did you do last weekend?

What were you doing when Big Ben struck midnight on December 31st?

What do you wish you had studied when you were at school?

Post edited by Lynne on

Best Answers

Comments

• LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,069 mod
    edited November 2013
    @April,

Okay, I'll change it to last weekend. (I don't usually work at the weekend, so when I say "at the weekend" I tend to mean last weekend.) For every weekend I would have asked "What do you do at weekends?" ("on" weekends for AmE learners.) :)

Perfect post so far. :)

Post edited by Lynne on
    edited November 2013
    @Hermine, Well done. Interesting choice of studies. :)

I did not do much last weekend.
    I was outside with my family, holding them tightly and wishing them all the best for the new year.
    I wish I had studied computer science.
    Post edited by Lynne on
    edited November 2013
    @Amatsuscribbler

"a very boozy late night" or "very boozy late nights"
    Post edited by Lynne on
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 5,988 mod
    Yes Lynne, my life with the Computer would half my problems and frustrations.
  • amatsuscribbleramatsuscribbler Teacher Posts: 2,139 mod
    I meant 'a weekend' in which there were very boozy, foodie late nights.
    edited November 2013
    @Helvio

Very good. Don't forget to end your sentences.

Here's your correction:-

1) I traveled last weekend. I went to Itumbiara with my eldest son. I lived there until I was 14.

2) I was at home with my family on the last day of December.

or

I was at home with my family on December 31st.

3) I never wished to study anything specifically.

or

I never wished to study anything in particular.
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 9,969 mod
    Hermine wrote:
    "Yes Lynne, my life with the Computer would half my problems and frustrations."

Are you sure, Hermine? :)

- My frustration doubled two days ago because of the computer.
    - Just in case you haven't read my grievance somewhere else in the forum, Vanilla excluded me from this forum whilst I was watching.
    - I wish they hadn't messed up like this when they were updating or changing their database or server or whatever. :(
    Oh dear @April! That would have scared me to death! I'm nervous enough on computers as it is! :-O
    Oh @Amatsu, I almost gave up Vanilla! You were lucky, you were still on holiday. :)
    "I almost gave up on Vanilla."

Glad to see you didn't. :)
    edited November 2013
    We'll see if they won't bully me again @Lynne. :))
    Now it's Kitely that makes trouble.
    I had installed the last version of Firestorm and I was able to log in yesterday morning, but in the afternoon it went wrong again and it still is now.
    edited November 2013
    Oh dear. Did you make sure it was set to Kitely? I went exploring on Open Sim and ended up locked out until I had reset Firestorm to Kitely again.
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 5,988 mod
    @April. Better to have that problem than having a cold. ;)
  • I set an amazing number of records in sports. I competed in many sports, including basketball and golf. In a national track meet in 2006, I entered eight events. I outscored the twenty-two men on the second-place team.
    Hi @Noelgerard,

I'm not sure what you mean by: "I outscored the twenty-two men on the second-place team."

Did you mean:-

"I scored more than the twenty-two men in the team that came second place."
  • Thank for correction Lynne, the sentence should be like this , I scored more than the twenty-two men that came second place.
    @Noelgerard - did all twenty-two men come second?
    I deserved a pat today I think. :)
    This is the story.
    I went to the pharmacy yesterday and I bought three items.
    When I came home with the three boxes, I checked the ticket and I found out that I only paid for two items!
    The pharmacist forgot to bill me one of them.
    I felt guilty because the pharmacists there are always very nice to me.
    So today I returned and told them what happened.
    After checking their cash register and their stock, they were convinced about my story.
    They accepted my payment :), thanked me and they were in the opinion that the media should write more about that kind of good thing and not only bad things. :)
    Well, I have no intention to tell this to a journalist but I think this is my chance to write a story and using the past tense, right? :))
    It deserves a correction too. Well done.

I think I deserve a pat on the back today.

This is the story.

I went to the pharmacy yesterday and I bought three items. When I got home with the three boxes, I checked the ticket and I found out that I had only paid for two items!
    The pharmacist had forgotten to bill me for one of them.

I felt guilty because the pharmacists there are always very nice to me, so today I returned and told them what had happened.

After checking their cash register and their stock, they were convinced and they accepted my payment, thanked me and they were of the opinion that the media should write more about that kind of good thing and not only the bad things.

Well, I have no intention of telling this story to a journalist, but I think this is my chance to write a story using the past tense, right?
    Thanks for the correction Lynne.
    I didn't expect that I still made so much mistakes though. :(
    *so many mistakes
  • BobmendezBobmendez Posts: 392 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2014
    @Hermine wrote:
    "Yes Lynne, my life with the Computer would half my problems and frustrations."

As I have understood this sentence is about what happened in the past. Sometimes I bump into these confusing "would" sentences. For example "...my car wouldn't start...". Why didn't they say "...my car didn't start"? What Tense is it? Past what? I haven't found it in my Grammar book
    The car wouldn't start, makes it more personal. ;)
    @Lynne More examples please
    edited January 2014
    -1. What did I do at the weekend?
    I visited my mother and my grandmother who live together in a village near the city where I live. I'm their only son and grandson. We have 0.3 hectare garden around the house, so I have a lot of work to do. It's like a gym for me #:-S
    -2. What was I doing when Big Ben struck midnight on December 31st?
    Most people who I know were at home eating and drinking when Big Ben struck midnight. So did I. Only one thing surprised me this year - unusual silence. Just few fireworks, but not bombardment <:-P

-3. What do I wish I had studied when I was at school?
    The science I studied at the University is called The Queen of Sciences, although I do not work in my specialty I was never sorry about studying mathematics