Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

On this breezy October morn, I walk
in the swift shadows of cloud-cursing rooks,
watching the world wake on the horizon.
Leo Yankevich
All houses wherein men have lived and died
Are haunted houses. Through the open doors
The harmless phantoms on their errands glide,
With feet that make no sound upon the floors.

We meet them at the doorway, on the stair,
Along the passages they come and go,
Impalpable impressions on the air,
A sense of something moving to and fro.
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Do you agree?

amatsuscribbleramatsuscribbler Posts: 2,214 mod
edited December 2013 in Archived News 2014
Post edited by Lynne on

Comments

• amatsuscribbleramatsuscribbler Posts: 2,214 mod
    Disgraceful is my opinion!
  • HelvioHelvio Posts: 1,860 Inactive
    Disgraceful, but some wealthy will buy for sure.
  • pryfllwydpryfllwyd The AnthropocenePosts: 1,405
    She played me music in the womb
    So I'd learn to talk in tune
    So I'd learn to talk in tune

Dreaming of something
    Waiting for something
    Longing for something
    Dreaming of something

They told me stories everyday
    So I'd learn to think that way
    They told me stories everyday
    So I'd learn to think that way

Dreaming of something
    Dreaming of something

The Chamelons "Music in the Womb"
  • SLBSLB Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭✭
    Worst baby product ever? I think there can be worse things. I think it could make the baby stop crying so it can be useful.
  • [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    I do not know if it could be useful. It could maybe be good to stop the baby crying, and it could maybe not be good for the eyes of a baby. It could maybe be good for not a long time. It is just amazing what they can create. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 80 ✭✭
    There is a trend taking us away from real life. I don't like it.
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,522 mod
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 27,481 mod
    Research is confirming that all these techy things at an early age is detrimental to the child's development (and adults too, I'd say).
    I fight with my sons every day because of video games, mobile phones with their apps and so on [-X . I try to suggest reading books or spending more time with friends for example and it often happens, but they are a different generation and are growing in this contest. However I extract a promise from them: reading ten books in the summer. I 'll happy if they 'll read just one.
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,199 mod
    Does reading e-books also count, @marian‌ ? :))
    Maybe try reading a book together.
    Mission impossible @Lynne: they are seventeen an twelve years old. :D
    I think the problem is reading not the mean they use @april, but it could be a good solution. When they were childs had got many books and now when their teachers propose them some books they read it. Sometimes I read their books for talking about them but they consider books a secondary choice because video games are more actrative than books. I just wish they would love reading. However I go on to suggest reading books. In Italy schools will close in June, the 7th, and pubblic library is waiting for us. 8->
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,199 mod
    My son, when he was a child, loved video games too, but he loves reading as well.
    He has quite a lot of books; we could open a library ourself, I think.
    I prefer going to the library instead of buying books.
    There are so many books that you can download for free too, @april. And reading from a Kindle might be something kids might find cool to do, rather reading a paper book. It might be worth trying @marian‌.
    Have you tried playing their video games @marian? The fact is many of these games are very creative, and we shouldn't be too sniffy about them. I think if they had been available when I was younger, I would have loved them. In many ways they are the rock and roll music of today. I guess parents aren't meant to like them. :)

The first words I learned in English came from a shooting video game. I had to understand clearly what they meant in order to complete the missions.
    @Lynne, I tried video games and they are amusing!
    I don't forbid playing video games if they enjoy them, but it's important they use spare time even for other things. @SillyLittleBleeder‌ I agree video games can develop many compentences but parents have to supervise their children use them in the correct form. In my opinion sometimes boredom helps creativity. Do you agree?
  • snack98snack98 Posts: 247 ✭✭✭
    run cats and dogs
    I agree, @marian
    I remember my very first encounter with a computer back in the 80s was when a teacher friend was programming a computer 'game' to help his students work out geographical coordinates. It was strictly for educational purposes though.
This discussion has been closed.