Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beautiful December

Now, when the garden awaits the return of spring
Now, when the silence is deep and blue
Now, when the winter has cast her spell again
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Here, where the snow is as soft as a woolly lamb
Here, where the nightfall is deep and blue,
Here, where the stars are so bright, you reach for them
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Child, may you sleep in gentle peace tonight
Dream of songs that rise on silken wings!
When you wake, enchanted by the snowspun light
Sing the songs that came to you in dreams,
Your beautiful December dreams
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

A little warmth goes a long way

mheredgemheredge TeacherHere and therePosts: 28,555 mod
All's well with the world with a nice hot drink. They warm us or cool us down. They help when you're feeling low and they even help us see the best in other people

What do you think? What's your favourite hot drink? Does it warm you up or cool you down like the article suggests?

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2014/oct/28/hot-drinks-science-tasting-notes?CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2

Comments

• spawnintegrityspawnintegrity Posts: 78 ✭✭
    As a Turk, I run on black tea as if an engine runs on fuel.:smiley:. I drink tea before leaving home to work. I drink tea after commuting while catching my breath. I drink tea while accompanying every client or colleague during the day. Before leaving office to home, I drink tea from the last brew (this is called the "boss brew" because it would be the most fresh brew in a day since it is brewed after the working hours and there is no one to deplete it except our boss.). I drink tea after I eat my dinner. I drink tea before I go to sleep.

I don't understand how can I sleep well at nights? :sleeping:

p.s.: Are you crazy? Of course I drink tea after I get my lunch. :wink:
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,555 mod
    Do all Turks drink so much tea as you do @spawnintegrity‌? I thought only the British were into drinking tea like you (and Indians).

I think if you're used to a high level of caffeine all the time, then you'll sleep no matter what. There was a time when I could drink coffee before bed and it wouldn't stop me sleeping. I'm not so sure now though.
    @‌mheredge according to Turkish Tea article of Wikipedia, quote "In 2004 Turkey produced 205,500 tonnes of tea (6.4% of the world's total tea production), which made it one of the largest tea markets in the world, with 120,000 tons being consumed in Turkey, and the rest being exported. Furthermore, in 2004, Turkey had the highest per capita tea consumption in the world, at 2.5 kg per person — followed by the United Kingdom (2.1 kg per person)" unquote.

Yes we are heavy drinkers :smiley:
    Very interesting @spawnintegrity‌. I never even realised that Turkey produced tea at all!

I think Sri Lanka is the world's biggest tea producer isn't it? India must come a close second. But maybe I'm out of date when it comes to the biggest tea drinkers. Did your article say how much tea per person is drunk in India?
    edited October 2014
    @mheredge there you are a large list of countries by tea consumption per capita as of 2009: (I'm not allowed to post links so please copy & paste to your browser.)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_tea_consumption_per_capita

Unfortunately I couldn't find India there.
    Interesting but I don't understand why India isn't on the list @spawnintegrity‌. Looking at other sources, it's there, but not quite as high as I expected.

It seems that Turkey, Ireland and the United Kingdom occupy the top three positions in the top countries with the highest tea consumption per capita. Though China is by far the largest consumer of tea over 725,747.792 tons per year, Turkey ranks first in terms of quantity consumed per capita, with 3,157 kg/person/year. It seems that per capita, both China and India aren't quite as thirsty for tea as I thought. (Then again, judging by the tiny size of tea cups in India, this shouldn't surprise me).

In terms of tea producers, China is top producing about 35%, India 21%, Kenya 8%, Sri Lanka, 7% and Turkey 5%. (FAOSTAT data: 2011).

http://www.discovery-zone.com/country-highest-tea-consumption-per-capita/

This discussion has been closed.