Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"March is a month of considerable frustration - it is so near spring and yet across a great deal of the country the weather is still so violent and changeable that outdoor activity seems light years away."
Thalassa Cruso
Please note: The MARS / WARS and FADS sessions are back on Skype for another week, but a couple of Lynne's sessions have been cancelled. Check the calendar for dates and times.
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Halloween

On 31st October it's Halloween.

Do you celebrate Halloween or something similar in your country?

http://www.learnenglish.de/culture/halloween.html
Tagged:

Comments

• HelvioHelvio Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No we don't. In Brazil the most close to halloween that we celebrate is the day of the dead on november second. But it is not a festival. We go to the cemeteries and put flowers on our ancestors graves and we pray.
  • fewrnafewrna Posts: 139 ✭✭
    Throughout history the 1st November we have celebrated the "All Saints' Day". It's a religious festivity to honor the family's deaths. But, nowadays, not much people celebrate it. However the kids celebrate Halloween against the feelings of their grandfathers. Although the great party celebrated in Spain that is like Halloween, it's Carnival on February.
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 24,539 mod
    I don't think Halloween is celebrated in India. I certainly haven't seen any sign of hollowed out pumpkins or anything like that.
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 5,907 mod
    I personally do not celebrate Halloween and so do the most here, but there are always a few people who like to do things brought from abroad and yes the shops offer orange-black stuff.
    I don't think I've ever celebrated Halloween either @Hermine.
    What a shame @Marianne, you native English Girl.
  • ebravoebravo Posts: 2
    in Chile most kids out trick or treating dressed in his stable
    @ebravo‌ hi, what do you mean by `stable`. Isn`t a stable a shelter for animals or harvest?
    I'm not sure if this should go in the Food section or here, but how about these for Halloween treats?

Baking with blood: http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/oct/29/-sp-baking-with-blood-homemade-halloween-treats?CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 9,843 mod
    I don't need Haloween; I had already my worst nightmare today. :(
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 8,828 mod
    ??? @April. Is it your car?

I have my Halloween lantern, and a bowl full of treats. We don't always get trick or treaters, but they did egg a neighbours car last year, so I don't want to be caught out.

Seemingly the usual Halloween scares are doing the rounds. Look what they've done to my gummy bears!

http://news.sky.com/story/1355672/parents-warned-over-halloween-marijuana-sweets
    Happy sweets! Wicked >:)
    edited November 2014
    How did I forget it? We also celebrate "la castanyada", a family festivity not religious. So tonight, stay with family and feel myself up with candy, especially "panallets".

mmmm: http://www.sibariscatering.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/panellets-600x350.jpg

How did I forget? We also celebrate "la castanyada", a family festival, not religious. So tonight, I will stay in with my family and fill myself up with candy, especially "panallets".
    Post edited by Lynne on
    I hope you are not feeling yourself up with candy @fewrna. Do you mean that you are filling yourself up?
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 9,843 mod
    Actually @Lynne‌, one and another misery and disappointment are chasing me since a couple of days.
    Simply and solely yesterday, I already made two blunders, as far as I can remember.
    In the morning I broke a pottery pumpkin lantern when we were doing line dancing.
    I'm sure the ghouls and ghosts are out of revenge for this.

And to make my day worse another blunder happened in the afternoon.
    At 3pm, as usual, I was expected to be at school to help the elderly people learning how to work on the computer.
    I was sure that my laptop showed 2.30pm when I closed it and then I left home.
    Can you imagine how shocked I was when I opened the door and found the students were already there for one hour long?
    I was one hour too late! :(

What a flop!!!
    edited November 2014
    Worse things happen at sea. (I've created a Bitstrip on FB for you, just to cheer you up.) :wink:

As you know, my Halloween was spent running around cleaning the house because we were having people round, only to be told at 6:30 pm that we were meeting up in a restaurant! Grrr.
    I hope you hadn't got too much prepared for them @Lynne‌.but at least there wasn't any washing up.
    @mheredge‌ Yes. With "feel myself up" I mean "filling up". A big fail.
    >:)
  • az360az360 Posts: 2
    edited November 2014
    in france , i have seen some signe of Halloween but it's not very frequented here !!

------------------

In France, I saw some signs of Halloween, but it's not very popular here.

(Use of "saw" because Halloween is over for another year.)
    edited November 2014
    Be careful @az360‌, it was the same in Germany when I first moved here, but this year there were lots of kids trick or treating.

BTW - What did I read about clowns being banned in France? LOL Good idea! (I'm a coulrophobe.)

@fewrna‌ - Thanks for the giggle. You got a bonus correction. :wink:
    Clowns are banned in France @Lynne? Really? Not that I'm very keen on them. I find them rather sinister.
    Especially if they look like this. Do not click if you are a sensitive little soul:-

http://news.sky.com/story/1363836/clown-ban-in-french-town-after-street-attacks
    I tried to see what a group of clowns might be called @Lynne, but it seems that there isn't a collective term (though pandemonium of clowns sounds quite good).

According to wiki, traditionally there were three types of circus clowns: the whiteface, the auguste and the character. However, nowadays there's a fourth type, the tramp or hobo clown that's being recognised separately. It sounds like these evil clowns might fall into this category.
    It seems in India, the parents of kids who have tried to embrace Halloween have come under a fair amount of flak. Criticism is being levelled at parents who allowed their children to dress up as Dracula, the Mummy, a zombie and so on, as Halloween is seen as not having any roots in Indian culture.

The journalist writing the piece in the Times of India however, also noted that Halloween gave a good excuse to prolong Diwali, the three-day festival which this year happened to fall just before the end of the month.
  • SLBSLB Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭✭
    Quite late, but here children and some adults go out in costumes. I saw some lads dressed in school girl uniforms. Only kids go after sweets and candy though. I'm not sure if this counts as celebrating halloween.

@Lynne‌ how about Pennywise from IT. I think he would rank high in creepyness as well, without having an obvioius evil look
    I think the kids going out asking for sweets is 'trick or treat' and very much part of the Halloween celebration isn't it @SLB?
    I know it doesn`t fit in here, but anyway I just want to tell you today is the beginning of carneval 11. 11.
  • FrankFrank Moderator Posts: 5,546 mod
    edited November 2014
    Halloween slowly becomes habitual in the Netherlands although not many people participate in this yet. At Halloween my children went from door to door for a trick or treat. Unfortunately the ‘haunted houses’ and backyard cemeteries are still sparse here. Another festival that is more popular in some parts of our country is: St. Martin's Day which takes place today, the 11th of November (and yet it has nothing to do with Carnival @Hermine). As soon it gets dark, children go from door to door with hand-crafted lanterns singing songs such like: ♫ Sint Maarten, Sint Maarten ♫ (the Dutch name for St. Martin) ♫ de koeien hebben staarten ♫ (the cows have tails) etcetera. After having sung their songs, they’re hoping to receive sweets in return, similar to Halloween. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Martin%27s_Day See for an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIEQBDjZkP8
    Maybe having such a festival so soon after Halloween might discourage too many people following the latter, which I think is an American import @lichaamstaal‌.
This discussion has been closed.