Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"March is a month of considerable frustration - it is so near spring and yet across a great deal of the country the weather is still so violent and changeable that outdoor activity seems light years away."
Thalassa Cruso
Please note: The MARS / WARS and FADS sessions are back on Skype for another week, but a couple of Lynne's sessions have been cancelled. Check the calendar for dates and times.
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Do You Remember Your Pre-Internet Self?

mheredgemheredge WordsmithHere and therePosts: 24,539 mod
The Internet, at least the modern version we know, turned 25 this year, and its effect on our lives simply cannot be understated. Two-hundred seventy-nine million Americans, (over 85 percent of the US population), now have access to the Internet. Globally, that figure is a staggering 2.9 billion people. In a mere quarter century, the technology has transformed the way humankind works, learns, communicates, shares, connects with one another—and much, much more.

So profound and far-reaching has its impact been that many of us today can’t even recall what life was like before the Internet...It’s actually a tough thing wrap your mind around, and I had to really stop and think to remember my life pre-Internet....When you get down to it, the Internet has changed—and in some cases revolutionized—major aspects of our existence: from finance and healthcare to entertainment, shopping, travel, socializing and even romance. On a personal level, the Internet allowed me to become an entrepreneur and start the business that would ultimately become Hootsuite. Deeper still, it’s connected me with events and people halfway around the world at a level that would not have been possible even 30 years ago.

But not everyone seems to agree. You see a lot of people nowadays taking a stand against the constant ‘plugged-in’ lifestyle, arguing that things like the web and social media are making us unhappier, attention deficient, even crazy. It’s become trendy to leave Twitter and Facebook; there’s even an official Quit Facebook Day. But are people really willing to give it all up and go back to an Internetless world? I’m not so sure. At this point in time, it’s like saying you want to go and live in the jungle without the aid of modern medicine—but what would you really do if you contracted a serious, life-threatening infection while out there?

Would you go back to a world without the Internet?

Article from Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/pulse/article/20141016170130-2967511-do-you-remember-your-pre-internet-self (you might need a Linkedin account to be able to access the full article).

Comments

• HelvioHelvio Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No Marianne, of course not. I knew you all through the internet, and friendship is priceless.

But if by chance the internet go away, I think that i wont to die. Maybe be sad.
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 24,539 mod
    I'm sure we'd survive, but like you say @Helvio, it's an important part of most people's lives now. And it certainly is the most wonderful way to stay in contact with people. I don't think I would have been able to keep in touch with my friends so easily if I had to rely on snail mail!
  • HelvioHelvio Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeap @mheredge!! You're right, the internet is the wonder of the century, but we need to care about it, from the some way it is good it can be dangerous. But it's not the internet's fault, persons that use it are the responsable for the good or evil they do in the internet. So we need to have care to be safe.
    Very true @Helvio. Unfortunately hackers and viruses are a big problem.
  • aryarchiaryarchi Posts: 862 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2015
    I don't think anybody would refer to an auto gallery to buy a car, to an encyclopedia to look for an expression...These are only a few impacts of internet on our lives.I don't want to judge whether its good or bad.
    Its something as a part of my body to me , I can live without internet but consequently I'd feel something is less.
    I wonder whether many of the younger generation, genuinely could do without the internet (by internet, that includes social networks like Facebook). Nowadays there are people who know nothing else.
  • kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,439 mod
    Yes, and it made me strive hard studying since there's no internet and only books were only my reliable resource that time. ;)
    Access to information is so much easier, but I used to love spending time in the library, which I don't do any more @kindgnice.
    edited April 2016
    @mheredge wrote: »
    Access to information is so much easier, but I used to love spending time in the library, which I don't do any more @kindgnice.

Because of the power of internet. :)
  • Rere2016Rere2016 Posts: 77 ✭✭
    Now studying looks more easily
    I wonder how many members of the Forum even know what it was like before the internet came along!
  • nuurussubchiynuurussubchiy Posts: 204 ✭✭
    yes. I used to playing board games with my friends or going to a library to read a book
  • nomad81nomad81 Posts: 242 ✭✭
    @mheredge I remember I played in football at football field all day or I walked in the mountains. I can add that in my country in these times we had only two TV channels which had broadcast a program from 4 P.M.
  • nuurussubchiynuurussubchiy Posts: 204 ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    > @nomad81 said:
    > @mheredge I remember I played in football at football field all day or I walked in the mountains. I can add that in my country in these times we had only two TV channels which had broadcast a program from 4 P.M.

woah... :o
    When I was a kid, for a long time we could only watch BBC1 even though there were two channels @nuurussubchiy, because we had an old TV set. I think by the time I left home, there were only four of five channels. Now there are too many!
    First TV set which my grandma had, it was black and white. Next TV set was of Soviet production. Basically it was to be colourful screen, later it proved that screen had one colour green.
    The first couple of TV sets I remember my family possessed were black and white too @nomad81. I can't remember exactly when we started watching a colour TV.
  • steins2017steins2017 Posts: 62 ✭✭
    Fortunately, I wasn't there when there was no internet ,but I used it first time when I was about 12 or 13.
    What were the famous internet games during your ages? @steins2017
  • steins2017steins2017 Posts: 62 ✭✭
    For me the first online game I played was wizard101. It is sad that I can't continue playing as I have no money to pay for it. Before that, I played only flash games those short primitive ones. It took me quite a while to no it took me many years to know about these things. No wonder about it ,because my country was one of the last to know and get the internet.
  • quantumleapquantumleap Posts: 5
    Hi all.

This is my first post

My point is that for sure we won't be as productive and accesible as we are now (well, being available should always be an option and not an obligation.)
    The opportunities that Internet brings us are amazing.

Though, I remember myself playing with friends in the street everyday. We had everything we need to enjoy out there. No computers and no Internet... but a lot of fun :)

Now, my son, 12, always asks me for his computer. He loves to play online with his friends and classmates... sometimes they laugh, sometimes they argue and sometimes they get angry. But they still feel their friendship as a great value as I did long ago.

Times are changing :smile:

Regards
  • nidhiinidhii Posts: 709 ✭✭✭✭
    One obvious change I noticed is that people find it entertaining to sit all day and spend all their time using internet.They became oblivion to other activities and have a cipher interest in Nature.
    The first time I used the internet was in the 90s for work. I didn't bother having my own access at home until probably around 2000. It seems indispensable now, but happily life does still exist outside the virtual world. I find it refreshing to be in places where it isn't so dominant.

PS I might be out of contact for a few days next week as I'm going up into a remote area where I doubt they have any phone signal.
  • Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @mheredge Bon voyage. We're going to miss you. Actually, I'm missing you already. :cry:
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 29,866 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I used to paly Saga games with my brother on the internet. I still miss those games.
    I remember my first the Internet link. A website with the news opened for five minutes and I was been making a coffee for myself in this time.
  • olliolli Posts: 12 ✭✭
    Really good question and quite philosophical. I do remember my pre-internet self. I think it was my whole Childhood. I'm from 1992 and I remeber our first computer with Windows 98 and the noisy modem. When I was around 15 or 16 I got my own computer and that was the beginning of becoming addicted/dependent of the 'information market'. 'addicted' not in a way that I need help or so, just in the meaning that our whole society is addicted to it. How ever thinking of a world without all the connectivity is quite nice. It would be much slower again (maybe)
    I remember the first time I set hands on my first computer (aged 22) but there was no internet till much later. I suppose my first internet experience must have been emailing at work, and I remember using it to research for assignments during the early 90s. I was never addicted though and only got an internet connection in my home relatively late, sometime in the late 90s.
  • mohit_singhmohit_singh Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭✭
    As I remember, first time I came across the internet when I was in 9th standard.At that time I have a Java handset.i used to download lots of songs.It was 2009 probably.

I started the use of social media from 2011. The first account I made using Orkut.we have lots of friends using Orkut at that time as compared to Facebook.actually,all of us are using Orkut.
  • YellowtailYellowtail Posts: 572 ✭✭✭
    I can't imagine how people learned foreign languages without the internet and computers (even though I myself was learning that way when I was a teenager). First of all, I don't want to use paper dictionaries any more. They don't allow me to search words, and don't play audio for the pronunciations. Also, where could I get materials? There were no Youtube, no articles in English, let alone no Learn English Forum!