Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Best jobs for lazy, but smart people

mheredgemheredge WordsmithHere and therePosts: 24,139 mod
Teaching English (in China), working for the government and computer programming are suggested as great jobs for the lazy but intelligent.

What do you think? Bill Gates is quoted as saying "’I will always choose a lazy person to do a difficult job, because he will find an easy way to do it’."

http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20140228-jobs-for-the-smart-but-lazy
Tagged:

Comments

• HelvioHelvio Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh! I need to be more smart. It would be cool.
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 24,139 mod
    I wish I was smart enough to be able to get away with being lazy.
  • spawnintegrityspawnintegrity Posts: 78 ✭✭
    Being a landlord. How to acquire or keep real estate is up to your smartness. I wish I could live with rent revenues and do nothing.
    A lot of people here aspire to be landlords. They work abroad, save up their money to buy land and build a house. They then rent out the rooms and sit back collecting rent. The main problem with this is that this isn't very good for the country's economic growth as no one wants to set up business and do much work!
  • FrankFrank Moderator Posts: 5,389 mod
    edited November 2014
    It's nice to work in a private office with the sign: don't disturb, on the door. Nobody knows exactly what you're doing inside. Everybody wanders about what you actually perform for the organisation. But somehow, because what you do is apparently private, it must be very important!
    Bonus correction @lichaamstaal‌: Everybody wonders about what you actually perform for the organisation.

Open plan offices can be very distracting to work in. Plus, the boss usually still has their own private office to hide away in.
  • shahabshahab Posts: 2
    edited November 2014
    for sure. most computer programmers are expected to have a laziness in them. oh may God make an active programmer.
    Really @shahab? I thought computer programmers sometimes get carried away and work late into the night trying to solve some problem. But then I suppose they will want to sleep in all morning to recover from their hard work the night before.
    ‘There are people who are always busy and they sometimes complain about that. Then they compare themselves with people who have the lazy jobs and then say they also want to have a job like that. But they will probably never find a job like that, because laziness is just not in their system. They always find things to keep themselves busy with and they always see lots of problems around them that have to be solved.

I ones heard somebody say: ‘If you search for somebody to do a task for you, you’d rather try the people who are already busy’. I think that’s right.

People who live their lives the easy way, know how to keep it that easy They are reluctant to help you with your task. These are the ones Steve Job meant: ‘They will always search for solutions that ask for the least effort.’ The people who are already busy try to do their best and work harder to be able to ad your task to their schedule.
    I think you have described this phenomena extremely well @lichaamstaal‌. We've already discussed the lazy gene at length some time before, but I wonder if there is a hardworking gene.
    I think you have described this phenomena extremely well @lichaamstaal‌. We've already discussed the lazy gene at length some time before, but I wonder if there is a hardworking gene.
    There might be such gene indeed @mheredge. It's called the burnout gene.
    You may be right @lichaamstaal‌.
This discussion has been closed.