Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

What Are You Going To Watch On TV Next Season?

aladdinaladdin Radio ProducerLEOnetworkPosts: 1,405 mod
edited September 2014 in Films, TV and Theatre
Hello LEN Members,
What you will going to Watch On TV Next Season?

I'm looking forward to know what happen on The walking dead after they arrived at Terminus and fell down in ambush.

The Walking Dead Season 5

Also I'm waiting some answer about that new machine called Samaritan and how they will fight against.
Person Of Interest Season 4

About new Tv show here is my list
The Flash

GOTHAM

Post edited by Lynne on
Tagged:

Comments

• HelvioHelvio Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll start House of Cards and maybe Downton Abbey.
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 24,141 mod
    Downton Abbey is the first thing I'm going to try and watch @Helvio. I hear that the new series has started. Reviews are generally good, especially of the performance of Maggie Smith as the family matriarch. Not having a TV does make it a bit more challenging though. I suppose I'll have to be patient. Eventually I might be able to download it.
  • HelvioHelvio Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What about your internet connection, @mheredge? Did it get better?
    Nowadays my internet connection is 15MG/s it is amazing. I get files from 2GB in 20 minutes. It is very fast to me.
    No, sadly Nepal is not great when it comes to internet @Helvio. I moved yesterday to an apartment where I was hoping it might be better, but so far it's been down completely. I have to rely on free wifi at various hotels and restaurants! I'm waiting for a friend at her hotel. She's flying in from Switzerland. I'm almost hoping she'll be a bit late!
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 8,695 mod
    edited September 2014
    I'm looking forward to the next season of The 100.

POI will be on my "to watch" list too, and House of Cards. Gotham is starting in October, it all looks a bit gloomy though.
    I won't have any television after I leave Kathmandu in a few weeks. But since I hardly ever watch any, I won't miss it. How much time do you spend in front of the box? Am I the only one here who doesn't watch TV?
  • zapppsrzapppsr Posts: 229 ✭✭✭
    Lately I've been watching Walking Dead, Defiance, Orange is de new Black, although the latest two are not that good.
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 9,789 mod
    I still stick with "The Bold and the Beautiful". :(
    Concerning Downton Abbey; I am always curious about their new episodes but no more that eager since the death of Matthew Crawley.

I like his quote: "I don't know about the rest of you, but I think it's time we all lived in a much simpler way" (Matthew Crawley).

You're right. It was a shame he was killed off. He was one of the most likeable characters @april.

@zapppsr‌ - It's well acted, and well made, but I could never get on with Walking Dead. I watched the first series, but eventually the gore got to me, so I stopped.
  • aladdinaladdin Radio Producer LEOnetworkPosts: 1,405 mod
    april said:

I still stick with "The Bold and the Beautiful". :(
    Concerning Downton Abbey; I am always curious about their new episodes but no more that eager since the death of Matthew Crawley.

It's rank 3.5/10 on IMDB Why you didn't gave up @april‌ ?
  • zapppsrzapppsr Posts: 229 ✭✭✭
    @lynne - This kind of series tends to lose its track, being repetitive and superficial. They have to bring new and interesting thing to the plot or else people lose interest.

One series that completely lots its track was Smallville. In seven seasons they were able to make Clark Kent experience 10 times more the adventures of Superman, even before he turned into Superman.

That was a complete new story.
    edited October 2014
    Which one, @aladdin‌ ?
    The Bold or Downton Abbey?
    Post edited by april on
    Downton Abbey is a fairly good representation of the history at that time @zapppsr, in particular in how society was changing in the twentieth century. But I know what you mean, the trivia of everyday life can get a bit monotonous. I'm keen on history, so I quite like this sort of thing.

I have no idea about The Bold.
  • marialenamarialena Posts: 16
    In Greece the television program of all channels is really poor, especially the last three years. Most youngsters watch TV series online. The most popular are Breaking Bad and How I met your mother. Personally, I am not fond of watching television. Instead of this, I prefer watching movies and reading books. One TV series that I enjoy is Bing Bang Theory.
    I'm totally in agreement @marialena‌. I'm astounded at how TV is the same all over the world now too. I've never followed Big Bang Theory though. What's it about? I think @Lynne likes it too.
    edited October 2014
    The American provider Netflix is now available in my country.
    A lot of films and TV series, through internet streaming , but I don't think I'll be seduced by that.
    Nice if the internet can take it, but here I'm pushed to see a few minutes on Youtube @april. Even downloading takes forever. It's a little better in India.
    @april‌ The Bold and the Beautiful. Downton Abbey is 8.8
    I think I'm going to watch The Big Bang Theory
    I wonder how long I'll have to wait before I can download Downton Abbey from India.
    Homeland is being rebooted for season four. Said to have been 'an amazing show' in season one, it lost its way in season two and three. However it is hailed as returning to its roots in season four.

I've heard of it, but has anyone seen it? Is it any good?

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2014/oct/05/homeland-reboot-season-four-good-thing?CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2
    @mheredge‌, I've watched the first seven episodes from season one, and it was good.
    I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw news that Twin Peaks was being resurrected from the dead. It was cancelled 25 years ago! It's so old, only a few of us 'oldies' might even remember it.

I liked the opening paragraph of the article:

"We live in an age where every show threatens to return, like one of the corpses on The Walking Dead just lying there until it is hit by a spark and lurches up again, whether we want it to or not."

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2014/oct/06/twin-peaks-returns-weve-waited-long-enough?CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2
    @aladdin‌ - I read that the first series was very good, the second and third weren't so good and this new series is supposed be recapture something of the first. So I might just have to check it out!
    @aladdin, how could I stop? Two leading actors from The Bold and the Beautiful came from USA and were live on our TV yesterday! :)
    The Bold and the Beautiful? I'd look it up but my internet connection has slowed down to a crawl!
    edited October 2014
    @zapppsr‌ - It's well acted, and well made, but I could never get on with Walking Dead. I watched the first series, but eventually the gore got to me, so I stopped.

I take it they are just reshowing it, but I wonder if they'll manage to carry on the story and film another series @mheredge. I always loved the theme tune.

I don't think so @Lynne. I thought it was a new series. It would be 25 years old, so I'm not sure how much interest there would be in the vintage editions!

Last night I watched a few episodes of Ronnie Barker in Going Straight. In one of them, a man said how he'd heard his car had been fixed already (very early in the morning), and Fletch said darkly, "That's funny, since you don't have a phone in your room."

Dates it a bit, doesn't it! Otherwise a lot of those old vintage BBC comedies stand up to the test of time quite well.
    edited October 2014
    Last night I watched the Flash episode one. It was very satisfied for start the season, and I'm waiting for the next episode to decided if I'm going to continue to watch or not
    The Flash 1x02 Promo