Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer.

Helen Hunt Jackson - September
The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.

John Updike, September
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

A man walked into a bar...

LynneLynne Your TeacherHomePosts: 9,477 mod
... he saw a cheetah sitting at the bar, and was captivated by its beauty.

He sat next to the cheetah and started talking to it. The barman saw him and said to the cheetah "Watch out, I think this guy is trying to pull a fast one".

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 27,013 mod
    :D

Q: What animal is bad to sit by when you're taking a test?
    A: A cheetah.
  • Oh poor cheetah.. goes high so fast :smiley:
    Q. Why can’t you trust the fastest animal in the world?

A. Because he’s a cheetah!
  • SLBSLB Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭✭
    That one's better @mheredge‌
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2014
    so i think that the barman and the manare nice animal and very dangerous then cheetah hhhhhhhhh
    Bonus correction @looveermann: So I think that the barman and the man are nice animals and much more dangerous than than the cheetah.

• LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,477 mod
    @looveermaan‌ Do you know what the expressions "to pull a fast one" and "to pull" mean?
  • spawnintegrityspawnintegrity Posts: 78 ✭✭
    @lynne Do I understand the metaphor here correctly? This guy is going to pull the whiskers of the cheetah. = This guy is going to con the cheetah.
  • @lynne no i don't know

@mheredge‌ thanck you friend
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,477 mod
    @looveermaan‌ and @spawnintegrity‌

To pull a fast one = to try and cheat someone.

To pull = to successfully attract someone for romantic purposes
    A gazelle goes out for her usual afternoon walk. About an hour later, she realizes that she is lost out in the open. Unskilled in the ways of the real world, she asks a cheetah, "Excuse me sir, do you know what time it is?" With a grin, the cheetah said, "It's lunchtime." :o
    @mheredge‌ are you telling these jokes out of the top of your head?
    Q: What do you get when you cross a cheetah and a snowman? A: Frost-bite!

I own up @SLB! source: http://jokes4us.com/animaljokes/cheetahjokes.html
    The're good but the last one on that page is Bad.
    Oh there are even worse @SLB. How about: Q: What do you get if you cross a cheetah and a sheep? A: A polka dot sweater.
    mheredge wrote: »
    Q: What do you get if you cross a cheetah and a sheep? A: A polka dot sweater.
    That one actually made giggle a bit. The last one is bad because is not logical. It has a contradiction.
    We have a famous character Nasreddin Hodja;

Hodja made an arranged marriage. As a custom, he didn't see his wife's face until the wedding night. The lack of light prevented him to see his wife's face at that night yet he regretted seeing her face in the morning because her face was (ugly as a toad:)) not so attractive. Again as per the common custom, his new wife asked him from who should she hide her face. He answered;
    "Woman, I don't care to whom you show your face as long as you don't show it to me!"
    Oh that's not nice. What about him, was he so handsome @spawnintegrity‌? Beauty is what's within isn't it?
    edited October 2014
    I personally find there's a lot more in the voice of people than there is in their faces. Oftentimes you look at person's looks and way of dressing and make a mental picture of them, until you hear them speak and lose all interest immediately. A person born with an ugly voice is possibly spoilt for life, so to speak. I have never known someone kind with an unpleasant voice.
    > @mheredge said:
    > Oh that's not nice. What about him, was he so handsome spawnintegrity‌? Beauty is what's within isn't it?
    I agree @mheredge.

Furthermore, women are precious. According to me that's why men are obsessed with controlling them.

@slb, I assure you, wait until the one that blow your mind. Her voice would be felt sweet as honey to you even if she screeched.
    edited October 2014
    @spawnintegrity‌ I have found some educated and uneducated people with such pleasant voice and tones. It all depends on their personality. Though a woman or children's cry, e.g. when frightened or playing, is one of the more irritating things you can hear, no matter the situation. It's just way beyond the comfortable range.
    Some people have unfortunate voices but I'm not sure if you can generalise and say that gheir voice always reveals what kind of person they are.

But generalisations are usually dangerous, aren't they?
    Yes they are, and there are always exceptions. But as far as Spanish in my area is concerned, my generalisation is incredibly accurate.
    Oh dear @SLB‌! That's very unfortunate.
    It's unfortunate to be able to tell what a person is like by listening to them? @mheredge‌

"Hey buddy, you can't just leave that lyin' there"
    Interesting, does "n'" mean it's to be read like a regular N? Does "singin' and singin' " sound the same as "sing in and sing in"?
    'Lyin' there is how it sounds @SLB, but spoken properly (and written), it would sound slightly different. The 'g' is totally omitted in lyin' but slightly sounded when you say lying. It's very subtle though
This discussion has been closed.