Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

What lies beneath Stonehenge?

mheredgemheredge TeacherHere and therePosts: 28,110 mod
The first detailed underground survey of the area surrounding Stonehenge, totaling more than four square miles. The results have revealed astonishing results. The researchers have found buried evidence of more than 15 previously unknown or poorly understood late Neolithic monuments: henges, barrows, segmented ditches, pits. To Gaffney, these findings suggest a scale of activity around Stonehenge far beyond what was previously suspected

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/what-lies-beneath-Stonehenge-180952437/?all&no-ist

Comments

• zapppsrzapppsr Posts: 231 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2014
    I've been there in February this year. It is amazing to think how people used to live in these early days....

I must admit I was expecting something mystical or magic to happen when I got there, but the trip was very good anyways...

Source: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/what-lies-beneath-Stonehenge-180952437/?all&no-ist
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,110 mod
    I'm not sure if I wasn't a tiny bit disappointed @zapppsr‌. I found the lines of standing stones at Carnac in Brittany a lot more impressive.
  • zapppsrzapppsr Posts: 231 ✭✭✭
    Never had heard about those...

Source: Wikipedia
    There are lots of these old stones scattered around. Stonehenge is just more famous @zapppsr‌.
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,061 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Beneath stonehenge? @mheredge May be hidden treasure like gold!:)
    Beneath stonehenge? @mheredge May be hidden treasure like gold!:)
    I'm not sure that gold was used very much in the Neolithic ages @bubbli.

http://www.ime.gr/chronos/01/en/nl/culture/jewellery.html
    Ahan! ...so I am not interested in stonehenge any more!:) @mheredge
    I think there's only a pile of stones under there. Interesting stones maybe, but no gold treasure @bubbli. :'(
    Hopefully Gem stones, I love to wear gemstone jewelry. I am wearing topaz ring that is also my birthstone @mheredge
    Me too, I like semi-precious stones very much @bubbli. I particularly like turquoise stones. They are worn a lot by people in the Himalayas.

I also have turquoise ring too. What is your zodiac sign by the way?
    It seems @bubbli, that there are 'ancient' and 'traditional' (as well as 'modern') birthstones. I think the distinction is more whether you're looking at semi- or precious stones. So as an Aries, bloodstone and amethyst, or ruby and diamond are supposed to be relevant birthstones.

I just go for the colour I like! I think I like your birthstones best @bubbli if you're Sagittarius. Blue topaz and lapis lazuli are so beautiful.
    edited February 2015
    Yes! being Sagittarian I am wearing transparent topaz. @mheredge I am really fond of these gem stones. I believe these stones really touch our Aura and help in spiritual healing. But, again finding real gem stones is a real quest these days. In start, I have bought fake gem stones because of my poor knowledge. :) But now I dont miss any chance to get a real one. Last year, I've got a chance to go to Northern areas of Pakistan and I bought Jade, turqoise, and Ruby. They are really amazing!
    It's difficult to know the genuine articles @bubbli. Although many of these stones occur naturally in the Himalayas, I think there's a lot of plastic too.

The women in the Himalayas wear beautiful headpieces of turquoise. Do women in northern Pakistan wear this kind of jewellery?

edited February 2015
    @mheredge I bought once the plastic article and believe me it was more charming than the real one!:) Yes I have been in Northern areas not for a long time. But, there is a valley called 'kalash' where women wear such ornaments. I dont know how to upload an image on this forum but let me share a thread.
    http://www.goasia.co/travel-articles/beautiful-kalash-valley-in-pakistan.htm
    The shape of the lady's head dress is the same as the ones worn by Tibetan and Ladakhi women @bubbli, except instead of sea shells, they use turquoise stones. I went to a very interesting exhibition of central Asian textiles at the Victoria and Albert Museum in London one time. It was fascinating to see how intertwined the motifs and styles of textiles were, with many similarities.

Yes I have also seen similar caps in different areas of northern areas. With small variation there are a variety of cultural wearings.
  • nelnel Posts: 1,125 Inactive
    I thought you wanted to discuss about stones in pictures but women usually like jewelry and gemstones. Isn't it @mheredge and @bubbli ?
    edited April 2015
    Yes @nel I am very fond of gemstones so I also look forward to find few under these stonehenge.:)
    I hope you can @bubbli . :) What's under those stones? Do you believe that there is treasure?
    @nel I am not an archaeologist who can tell what lies beneath Stonehenge. I can't say anything about treasure but I think there are many researchers who creates twists in the story just to keep us engage in these historical places and remain curious.
    I think if there was a treasure there many years ago scientist could discover it @bubbli .
    @nel now I feel treasure is a myth. Its mentioned in Knights of Arabia but then most of the stories are fictitious and we should not believe in them.
    Did you read story of Ali Baba @bubbli who found a treasure in a cave? Treasure is always in stories.
    Yes I read it and I read many like it. In reality there is a lot of treasure hidden under the soil crust in the form of coal, petroleum, gemstones, metals etc. But I don't think there is any treasure buried that researchers or concerned authorities haven't found yet.
    Often tombs contain treasures of the person who is buried @nel. Like the Egyptian pharaohs. So I suppose if people associated Stonehenge with being some kind of burial site, this could have helped to create the myth of buried treaure. Don't most people dream of finding treasure @bubbli? I'm not sure but I think in the UK, buried treasure belongs to the Crown.
    @mheredge my point is even if there was any treasure. It must have been dug out years back and usually this news is kept confidential. Now if there are burial sites where there is any treasure, that is the property of ruling parting in the country.
    It's possible @mheredge but finding a treasure is really hard. Archaeologists and bandits have more experience than us. :)
    @nel What if they found some treasure?:)