Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The April rain, the April rain,
Comes slanting down in fitful showers,
Then from the furrow shoots the grain,
And banks are fledged with nestling flowers;
And in grey shawl and woodland bowers
The cuckoo through the April rain
Calls once again."

Mathilde Blind, April Rain
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

A storm in a teacup

HeknerHekner Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
"'There's nothing wrong with Novi,' he insisted as firmly as he could. 'Mira and George ... they're uninhibited, that's all.'
'˜It's a storm in a teacup,' Camille agreed, folding her arms." ("Watercolours")

a storm in a teacup (British & Australian) - a situation where people get very angry or worried about something that is not important

I think it's all a storm in a teacup - there's probably no danger to public health at all. (Cambridge Idioms Dictionary)

"The world was a fantastic, marvelous, awesome place, Rose decided."

Comments

• HeknerHekner Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "The quarrel was a storm in a teacup and caused unnecessary stress to Clare."
    "The world was a fantastic, marvelous, awesome place, Rose decided."
  • Student_PabloStudent_Pablo Posts: 51 ✭✭
    edited September 2014
    For some people it is a storms in a teacup but for others it's a big sources of worries and anger, it depends on the perspective of viewer and the resilience to face whatever the problem is.

E.g. The two finalists started to argue about who will be the chosen one by the Olympia's judges. The discussion turned around who was the more handsome, the taller, brawnier, stronger. (For me it had no sense nor importance, it was like a storm in a teacup, however both finalist were too furious discussing and worried about the judge's decision)

Did I get the point?
  • LynneLynne Teach HomePosts: 9,880 mod
    Yes, it's all about perspective. I guess if you are in the middle of the storm, it's difficult to see that it's only in a teacup. ;)
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,555 mod
    A storm in a teacup .....
    A teacup is an empty cup, right? Without tea in it?
    Sorry for this silly comment; I mention it because we don't use teacup in this expression but a glass of water; a storm in a glass of water. :)
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 31,139 mod
    I tend to think of tea being in the cup @april, but that as it's such a small quantity, then there's no way the 'storm' can be too serious.

Wiki offer a few other fascinating variations on the same theme:

Tempest in a teapot (American English), or storm in a teacup (British English), is an idiom meaning a small event that has been exaggerated out of proportion. There are also lesser known or earlier variants, such as tempest in a teacup, storm in a cream bowl, tempest in a glass of water, storm in a wash-hand basin, and storm in a glass of water.
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,555 mod
    :)
    To be honest, I wouldn't like to have a storm in my teacup; I want my tea! :)
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 31,139 mod
    When I think of a storm in a tea cup, I have a picture in my mind of vibration making the tea form circles of waves on the surface.

Like you @april, I'd rather have the tea inside the cup so I can drink it!
  • kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,790 mod
    He saw that the protagonist of the movie was killed by a drug dealer, and the storm in the teacup bursted out.
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,268 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    My immediate supervisor usually make a storm in a teacup these days. ;)
  • kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,790 mod
    When my clients are in storm in a teacup, I have to be calm at all times.