Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"March is a month of considerable frustration - it is so near spring and yet across a great deal of the country the weather is still so violent and changeable that outdoor activity seems light years away."
Thalassa Cruso
Please note: The MARS / WARS and FADS sessions are back on Skype for 2 weeks, but a couple of Lynne's sessions have been cancelled. Check the calendar for dates and times.
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Leibniz and biscuits

XanthippeXanthippe Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
Actually biscuits are better than monads:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BvXVGaNCUAAJhT7.jpg:large
Tagged:

Comments

• XanthippeXanthippe Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like this one:

Dean, to the physics department. "Why do I always have to give you guys so much money, for laboratories and expensive equipment and stuff. Why couldn't you be like the math department - all they need is money for pencils, paper and waste-paper baskets. Or even better, like the philosophy department. All they need are pencils and paper."
    What is Mind? No Matter.
    What is Body? Never Mind.
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 24,502 mod
    Xanthippe said:

What is Mind? No Matter.

What is Body? Never Mind.

Who said that? I like that quote very much.

I have found it in a section: Philosophical jokes, @mheredge. :)
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 24,502 mod
    Hahaha. It's good.
  • kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,439 mod
    What is monad? Or did I take it too literally? :lol:
    @Kindgnice, this is a Leibnizian term:

" Substance as Monad

We are now, finally, ready to get a picture of what Leibniz thinks the universe is really like. It is a strange, and strangely compelling, place. Around the end of the Seventeenth Century, Leibniz famously began to use the word "monad" as his name for substance. "Monad" means that which is one, has no parts and is therefore indivisible. These are the fundamental existing things, according to Leibniz. His theory of monads is meant to be a superior alternative to the theory of atoms that was becoming popular in natural philosophy at the time. Leibniz has many reasons for distinguishing monads from atoms. The easiest to understand is perhaps that while atoms are meant to be the smallest unit of extension out of which all larger extended things are built, monads are non-extended (recall that space is an illusion on Leibniz's view)."
  • kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,439 mod
    Thanks for sharing this my friend, @Xanthippe! ;)