Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The April rain, the April rain,
Comes slanting down in fitful showers,
Then from the furrow shoots the grain,
And banks are fledged with nestling flowers;
And in grey shawl and woodland bowers
The cuckoo through the April rain
Calls once again."

Mathilde Blind, April Rain
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Grow on someone

HeknerHekner Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
"Already the place was growing on him. His expectations had been low at first; new teachers were always assigned to the most unpopular schools. But when he took a look at the tourist brochure the school had included with its letter of welcome, he thought Morus seemed okay." ("Watercolours")

to grow on someone - if something or someone grows on you, you start to like them more

The new house slowly began to grow on her. (Macmillan)

"The world was a fantastic, marvelous, awesome place, Rose decided."

Comments

• filauziofilauzio Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2014
    'The job he was assigned to had no relation with his academic degree, so he wasn't able
    to grow on it, although so many colleagues of him were frustrated as well.
    Therefore he put on his coat and went out.
    It was a very cold day, every person he encountered were tightly wrapped up into their coats, stepping rapidly toward home.
    He passed near a garden seat where a homeless was sleeping, sinking down a cardboard box.
    If he had replaced that poor man, he thought, and suddenly his job grew on it'
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 31,060 mod
    edited September 2014
    Not quite @filauzio. Something grows on you rather than you grow on it.

It's where something becomes increasingly liked or appreciated by you.
    You're right, @mheredge‌, I just need a proofreader, and I'm able to publish this one too.
    I'm only doubtful about how much I should charge it for
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
    If you need a proofreader, won't you be paying them @filauzio‌? They will be charging you for their services.
    @mheredge‌

I suppose I had better take a bonus correction for free.

At least as long as it last that way
    Beggars can't be choosers @filauzio‌!
    @mheredge‌

I need a bonus explanation, I've not got the relation, you know I'm not so reactive
    Try Googling 'beggars can't be choosers' and see what it comes up with @filauzio‌.

In particular, http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/ is a good site for idioms.
    @mheredge‌

I've got, you meant 'don't look a gift horse in the mouth'

It's in the bag!
    The two idioms don't mean quite the same @filauzio. Beggars can't be choosers means that you aren't in a position to be fussy, or have much choice about something. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth is when there's an opportunity for something to your advantage, but you don't take it.

Is it now in the bag?
  • Student_PabloStudent_Pablo Posts: 51 ✭✭
    The learn English forum is staring to grow on me, It's became my favorite website in the world wide web.
    @mheredge‌

I'm sorry but this time I don't agree to your statement.
    As long as I'm able to understand the Italian significance of 'don't look a gift horse in the mouth', I get that one shouldn't consider as worthy is the horse, for it is just a gift and you had not to pay for it, it was for free, so you have to be grateful for having got the horse and nothing more

Am I fussy enough to you?
  • LynneLynne Teach HomePosts: 9,876 mod
    edited September 2014
    Don't look a gift horse in the mouth simply means be grateful for something you have been given, because it would be bad manners to inspect a gift to see if there are any negative aspects to it.
    The overcrowded tourist ghetto of Thamel, god forbid, is starting to grow on me as I have several very good friends at my doorstep and it's a great place to meet people. So I suppose I shouldn't knock it.
    you're precious @Lynne‌,
    and you too @mheredge‌ ;)
    Oh no I'm not @filauzio‌! To be precious can mean to be fastidious or affected, as in speech. But then I suppose the same word can also mean to be dearly beloved...

Don't you just love the English language @filauzio‌!
    @mheredge‌

Take a look please

/www.thefreedictionary.com/precious

it says 'highly esteemed'

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/esteemed

it says 'to regard with respect'

Let me have a look at the synonym 'appreciate'

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/appreciate

it says 'to recognize the quality, significance or magnitude of'

This is exactly was I was meaning, it doesn't really seems to me an offensive word, don't you think?
    Precious is valued and highly regarded. But it can also mean to be affected, or to be a bit spoilt.

So if you say 'She's very precious' then depending on the context it might mean either she's very valued, appreciated and respected, OR it could mean that she's very spoilt, fastidious and fussy.
    @mheredge‌

It sounds very interesting to me, although too much complicated.
    I don't understand how I could make the context evident when I want to mean that a person to whom I'm writing is prec.. oops, is highly respectable in my own opinion.
    In Italian I'd just say ' you're precious to me', and the person spoken to, would appreciate and would be pleasantly surprised to be regarded to that way.
    That one absolutely wouldn't think to have been considered affected or even less a bit spoilt.
    It seems like 'precious' has too many contradictory meanings, according to my own taste.
    There should be three words: 'precious',' affected' and 'spoilt' in the place of one single word.
    By the way, although I'm late, I apologize for being rude
    Don't worry about it @filauzio‌. The context would be pretty clear I think and I'm just teasing you. If someone is precious to you, this is very clear what you mean: that they are very valued.
  • kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,790 mod
    When I first started to try singing, it grew on me eventually.