Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Pull yourself together

HeknerHekner Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
"She sat at home and shook, her cheeks flushed, her eyes bright with tears. When she had pulled herself together, she would go and have a shower ..." (A. S. Byatt)

to pull yourself together - to become calm and behave normally again after being angry or upset

Just pull yourself together. There's no point crying about it. (CALD)
"The world was a fantastic, marvelous, awesome place, Rose decided."

Comments

• kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,669 mod
    After hearing stressful comments from clients, I guess I have to pull myself together after all...
  • filauziofilauzio Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that pulling yourself together can match with your sprawling over the couch; even if, by the latter, you have to loosen yourself a bit.
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,110 mod
    Only if your sprawling over the couch was caused by some sort of shock @filauzio. You pull yourself together after you have heard unpleasant news, so resolving to sit up straight might then be part of this.
  • filauziofilauzio Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Indeed, @mheredge, I thought of pulling yourself together as a means of getting relaxed after some sort of troublesome event; therefore I thought of comparing that to the act of sprawling on the couch. It seemed to me that both behaviours led to the same aim: do away with the cause of annoyance.
    I think you can recover your calm both by pulling and loosening at rest your limbs.
    After all, by pulling yourself together you might perhaps remain a bit tense.
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
    Another way to express 'pull yourself together' might be to 'compose yourself' or 'get your act together' @filauzio.
  • jackelliotjackelliot Posts: 755 OTT
    @mheredge

thank you

great advice
    Get your act together is quite a useful phrase.