Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer.

Helen Hunt Jackson - September
The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.

John Updike, September
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

How long have you been learning English?

HelvioHelvio Posts: 1,860 Inactive
edited November 2013 in New Members
So, I will try to answar this question because I think I am in a intermetiate level on English skills, maybe not, who knows?
I have studied English from 5th grade until 8th grade, twice a week in meetings of 45 minutes.
When I was in high school I only studied English in the second year, I have made a technological high school.
After high school I stay without study English for 14 years, even in the college I didn't study English.
In 2010 I got six months in a English school, after made a level test I beggin on the third period. But staying in a class with people with half of your age is not easy, so I left this class after six months.
And now, in 2013, I have been studying hardly since February by myself with material that I found on the websites like Duolingo.com. In the end of September I found LEO and I am here since though.

@Lynne, I do this text without any search on google in about 15 minutes. Thank you for reading.

Comments

• LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,489 mod
    Hi Helvio,

Very good post. Well done. I'll do more than read it. :)

First things first, I'm not sure what you mean by "I beggin on the third period."

The rest is really good:-

So, I will try to answer this question because I think I am at an intermediate level, or maybe not. Who knows?

I studied English from the 5th until the 8th grade, for 45 minutes twice a week. When I was at high school I only studied English in the second year, until I went to technological high school.

After high school I didn't study English for 14 years, even in college I didn't study English. In 2010 I spent six months in an English school, after taking a level test I began ???, but sitting in a class with people half of your age is not easy, so I left this class after six months.

And now, in 2013, I have been studying hard since February by myself with material that I found on websites like Duolingo. At the end of September I found LEO and I have been here since.

@Lynne, I wrote this text without any help from Google in about 15 minutes.

Thank you for reading it.

• HelvioHelvio Posts: 1,860 Inactive
    edited November 2013
    @Lynne, thank you so much for correcting my post.

With 'I beggin on the third period" I meant that I started on 3rd semester of a regular English course.

I don't have made two high schools, the technological school and the high school are the same.
    When you said "third period" I thought you meant sometime in the afternoon. :)
    So @Lynne, do you think that I am a intermediate student? Or almost there? :D
    edited November 2013
    When you can write like that, I would say, upper intermediate, but to be honest, I'm not keen on levels. Often your level depends on the topic being discussed.
    You're right Lynne, but I am happy anyway. :D
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,180 mod
    How long?
    Very long and there is still no end in sight. :))
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 657
    edited December 2013
    It is about 7 years that I am studding English. I started learning that when I was in 1st grade.

------------

I have been studying English for about 7 years. I started learning it when I was in the 1st grade.

or

It has been about 7 years since I started learning English.
    Post edited by Lynne on
  • I have been study English 2 years ago. I'd like practice it every day because I want to study abroad.
    @Lynne.
    May I try to correct @lepakike sentences? ;;)
    But don't be angry if I do it wrong.
    I don't want to confuse Lepakike though.

@lepakike.
    I think you have to say:
    " I have been studying English for 2 years. I'd like to practice it every day because I want to study abroad."
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 657
    @april I think lepakike should say: I started learning English 2 years ago.
    Great job guys.

@Nil - you are correct.
    @April - you are correct too.

@Lepakike

I started studying English 2 years ago. I'm going to practice it every day because I want to study abroad.

:D
    edited January 2014
    So Nil, 1 - 1? :))
    Now the internet makes it easier to learn everything, right @Bobmendez?
    Sometimes I missed my books and notes though.
    I often look in my note again to find one and another explanation.
    One thing Bobmendez, why did you lose your language skills after getting married?
  • BobmendezBobmendez Posts: 392 ✭✭✭
    I had a suspicion about writing "language skills". I often know just the meaning of word and put it into sentence, so I can put my foot in it :-O Please correct me @april :-S
    Speaking about getting merried, some friends of mine really lost their language skills in marriage :)) not me - I'm lucky
    @Bobmendez
    I think it's correct to say "language skill" or maybe you want to say "your fluency"?
    I do the same Bob, using wrong words in sentences, saying the wrong pronounciation etc and embarassing myself.
    Don't worry about it. :)
  • amatsuscribbleramatsuscribbler Posts: 2,213 mod
    There's no need to be embarrassed at all here @bobmendez and @april!
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 27,105 mod
    I don't think anyone can ever stop learning.
  • i have been learning English for years via internet. I think my level is intermediate, i am not sure.
    Hi @Antoine,

How easily can you make yourself understood? That's all that really matters. :)
    edited February 2014
    Welcome Laura. @‌laura5
    Nice to meet you!

Feel free to visit all the forum, and I hope you enjoy yourself. :)
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 6,261 mod
    Dogs count in Dog Years.
    Language learners count in years, so I am 8.
  • SunSun Posts: 279 ✭✭✭
    I started studying English a few years ago. Although I worked hard, my English is not very well yet. I hope that my participation in this forum will contribute to improve my English
    Just keep working @Sun.:)
    Hi @Sun, participation is the key. A lot of people think memorising lists of words is learning, but if you don't process those words and help your brain make sense of them, it's a waste of time.
    That is one of a reason why I like Lynne so much.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,493
    I've been learning English since 2007. Before that, in junior school, I was taught English. This doesn't count, does it?
    edited March 2014
    @Xeb, the question here is not since when you are here, the question is how long have you been learning English and that includes your previous education as well.